Just walking

Options

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I walk every day with my dog, Mickey, too.
    I live in Minnesota, but try to get in a walk in our woods even in the snow and cold. We have 10 acres, of which most is rolling, steep, wooded hills. We have quite a bit of snow now, but my husband keeps the trails in the woods groomed so we can walk on them. I have a fit bit and an hour walk yields me about 30 staircases as well as about 5500 steps on my fit bit. I also go to the gym everyday and mostly use the elliptical. My fit bit goal is 18,000 to 20,000 steps per day and I have been reaching that everyday since 1/1/14. Have been on MFP for 4 years, at maintenance for over 2 years and had a fit bit for 3 years.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Oh how lucky are you? Your own snowy woods!
  • carolinafirefly
    carolinafirefly Posts: 33 Member
    Options
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love all the pictures posted on here. I jog, walk and spin. I really enjoy longer walks of 60+ minutes as they relax me. Walking unfortunately has not helped the scale budge but I still enjoy it.
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    @lauranorr so true!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    some times I do 2 to 3 hours a day outside.
  • star1407
    Options
    It's so lovely to see the pictures, nature and dogs... My two favourite things
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love walking to the shops in my neighborhood. There are two Publixes about an equal walk away from my home and I like going there to use the higi machine to check my BP and rack up points to give to charity. Near one of them is a Meat and Fish store and a Walmart, near the other is a Target, a Party City, a Presidente Supermarket, a Babies R Us, a Ross and a bunch of other places. I met a weird guy at Walmart, while having my packed lunch at the Subway inside there, who made me feel uncomfortable so I'm avoiding that area for a couple of months, hoping he'll give up on finding and associating with me, so I've been strolling down this nice, quiet street just off, but alongside, of the main road to go to the Publix near Target. I eat lunch at Publix or Target, now.
  • star1407
    Options
    mhj6oos4qud7.jpeg
    fpncblad5wmq.jpeg

Among the blue bells in spring and a freezing hubby with my little boy playing with his remote control car, Freddie with the obligatory tennis ball in gob lol
  • worsthorse
    worsthorse Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    jt28tzj7ddkq.jpg

When I started taking care of myself again, I could barely walk twenty minutes. But I walked every day around my neighborhood and slowly the walks got longer and faster. Two years later, I helped out in a medical clinic in the himalayas and walked about 170 miles in places like this. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • star1407
    Options
    Wow that's fantastic, must have been very rewarding
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    I just walk, I have three dogs and we do about 2 hours a day. I've lost a lot of weight so it definitely works.0awjfbdyq6wy.jpeg

What a lovely view, where do you live Osiris? Love that name btw

Thanks, I live in the Highlands of Scotland :)
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I love to walk. After 2 failed spinal fusion surgeries and a heart attack...my doctor told me to walk a mile a day and lose 12 pounds. I could not walk a quarter mile when I started. Then I found Leslie Sansone Walk At Home videos and I was hooked on walking. I still walk with Leslie in doors when the weather does not cooperate but outdoors is where it is at for me. I was walking 7 miles a day until I took up golfing. Yep, golf!! I am hooked. My son and I went golfing yesterday and we were the only two people on the course. It was freezing out but we did it and walked 10.5 miles while doing so. Pulling a 15 lb golf bag up and down the courses has strengthen my legs, arms and my butt. Some of the inclines on the courses are brutal. My back hurts today so I am resting and icing it. We are golfing tomorrow at the same golf course. I have lost 22 pounds with changing my eating habits and walking. The calorie burn is fantastic with golf too!
  • star1407
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I love to walk. After 2 failed spinal fusion surgeries and a heart attack...my doctor told me to walk a mile a day and lose 12 pounds. I could not walk a quarter mile when I started. Then I found Leslie Sansone Walk At Home videos and I was hooked on walking. I still walk with Leslie in doors when the weather does not cooperate but outdoors is where it is at for me. I was walking 7 miles a day until I took up golfing. Yep, golf!! I am hooked. My son and I went golfing yesterday and we were the only two people on the course. It was freezing out but we did it and walked 10.5 miles while doing so. Pulling a 15 lb golf bag up and down the courses has strengthen my legs, arms and my butt. Some of the inclines on the courses are brutal. My back hurts today so I am resting and icing it. We are golfing tomorrow at the same golf course. I have lost 22 pounds with changing my eating habits and walking. The calorie burn is fantastic with golf too!

What did Churchill once say? "Golf is the way to ruin a good walk" lol. Hey good for you, golf has kept my dad's copd from killing him, I firmly believe it's his golf that keeps him fit. Me, I just love to amble and look out for different forest wildlife and tracks. I'm kind of geeky about it lol my husband has been known to mutter "f*** me here comes Bill oddie " when he sees me sporting my binoculars round my neck and heading for the garden.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »

What did Churchill once say? "Golf is the way to ruin a good walk" lol. Hey good for you, golf has kept my dad's copd from killing him, I firmly believe it's his golf that keeps him fit. Me, I just love to amble and look out for different forest wildlife and tracks. I'm kind of geeky about it lol my husband has been known to mutter "f*** me here comes Bill oddie " when he sees me sporting my binoculars round my neck and heading for the garden.

Star, your walks sound lovely and peaceful. You gave me a good chuckle. :)
  • Aberpenner
    Aberpenner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just walk 6 miles most days, I love it. It's a fantasic form of exercise and will keep you fit without any impact
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I try alternate walk and swim days, but since I got a local parks membership, I have a huge range of fabulous parks nearby for walking. I started with 10 minutes twice a day, then 20 minutes. Now, if I don't go out and slam out at least five miles brisk walk every other day, I start to crave it. "Gotta go walk! Wanna come?" My husband, "But, it's raining."... "I won't melt. See ya later!"
    My current fave right now has lots of hills and dips for variety and is around a gorgeous reservoir lake full of wildlife.
  • star1407
    Options
    They are peaceful until my silly dog keeps nudging me so I throw his tennis ball :D

I crave it too, my hubby moans about the weather but I tell him " there's no such thing as the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes". He feels the cold terribly but I love a frosty morning where the ground crunches underfoot.

I bet you see lots of wildlife round the reservoir

I'm loving hearing about everyone's walks :)