What nobody told you about running.

Options

Replies

• Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You really have to find your own pace. And intermediate stretching especially if you run long distances.
  • b_dailey2011
    b_dailey2011 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it helps my anger problem. The sound of my feet hitting the ground resets my mind. I just wish we had safer places to run
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    I always hated running and never thought I would like it, now I need it. I wish I could run every day but "they" say not to do more than like 4 a week.

Also...runners poop. TMI maybe but for me if I don't time my meals properly at about 3.5 miles I always have to poop

That's great to know!

I realized that might have sounded bad, but it really is good to know. I don't want to be caught out somewhere with an imminent oops just waiting to happen!
  • thatshistorical
    thatshistorical Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    chafing. in unnameable places

Like your hooha :(
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You get to flip off lots of people along roadside stretches, it's pretty fun.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    tri_bob wrote: »
    Deviating from the purely physical, I submit a roughly chronological list of adjectives that runners cycle through to describe running over time:
    • Hate
    • Tolerate
    • Love
    • Need (This is when the trouble starts.)

Much better put than I could have ever stated, though I came here to try. This x10.

NEED - :/ Funny, the feeling of need feels the same as 'hate/tolerate' felt and missing a day feels even worse :(

No physical 'fun' to speak of as previously posted. I probably own half of the Body Gilde company by now, with that said, issue free for years even after a back to back, half marathon / full marathons.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    1) Forget about keeping toenail polish on your toes and there will always be three toes nails that never need clipped.

2) You run better once you get those blisters/calluses and worn on the feet (my battle wounds). I do love the Body Glide!

3) Your neighbors may wave or not, and they all look at you like your a crazy person if you run in the slightest bit of rain. I never get wet, I am running.

• AlanahBeez
    AlanahBeez Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Trying to keep the breathing under control like this isn't your first run ever! Haha
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The importance of dew point.

And yes, chafing. God, the chafing
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time I ran 20 miles, I got back and someone was saying "Maybe you should go buy a shirt?" I didnt think much of it.

Then I took it off when I got home, and it looked like I had been shot in the boob.

Oh running...you're stupid, I hate you.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    You can't walk/run/drive by a Running Speciality store with out stopping to check out what's new, what's on sale!!!
    Your Running shoe collection takes up 2 rows in the bottom of the closet.
    Your Running clothes take up the rest of the closet.
    Functionality beats out fashion - Color clashes are fine as long as it functions.
    Fluorescent Lime Green - Orange etc are life savers.
    You used to laugh at " Men in Tights" now you have 5 sets in rotation and 2 new ones waiting on the shelf.
    A quick run around the park becomes longer and longer and longer. Buy multiple high quality headlamps now.
    A bad day for driving due to weather is a great day for running.
    Toe-nails will grow back.
    Getting lost on a wilderness Bush Trail = Unplanned Long Run Day#2.
    Walking from the parking Lot to the Coffee shop your breathing/heart rate drop to Normal in 30 steps or less.
  • anjanja1
    anjanja1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I learned there is such thing as morton's neuroma
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    pros: the high I get after a long run, a sense of accomplishment.

cons: When on a hot humid day, you run through a bunch of gnats that happen to go up your nose and your trying to hack it up.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    That if you don't get the right sports bra, your skin will chafe off in two of the worst places. And bodyglide is amazing.

Also, running clothes in August have a much shorter lifespan than gym wear.
  • WeekendWarriorTX
    WeekendWarriorTX Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    that women are pigs that honk and cat call just as much as men do, and i like it
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Bumping into friends in the mother and baby aisle at the supermarket and having to explain that no, I'm not pregnant (I don't have kids, and at my age it would be a medical miracle), but I really do need the talcum powder and nappy rash lotion.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hip pain
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    That you can push your body mentally and physically much further than you thought possible.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That you'd get the weirdest sock tans!
  • Cifucanguess
    Cifucanguess Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Are there any tips to increasing the time length of running. Right now I'm just in the jogging stages. Half jog half walk, I know my weight is and issue but I would like to be able to increase my stamina. Helpful tips welcome (I'm in the 240 weight range)