My 600 Pound Life

Replies

• klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    I watch this show often. Even own the seasons on Amazon... Because I find it motivating...

But also because I have a very close friend who it almost 700 pounds and her 750 pound sister died from cardiac arrest at 28 due to her size.

I feel for these people. I get mad at the enablers and the excuses.. I applaud the successes! I have seen, first hand how it affects both the lives of the people on the show and the people around them. I have seen how easy it is for my weight to creep up and not really notice it till one day your can't believe your eyes. I understand cheap and filling. I understand the struggle. I feel their pain.

I also watch as my motivation to stick with it when it gets hard, I plateau, just want to give up and give it. Not everyone has the strength to come on here and be like us. Some are scared that they are so large that people will shun them. Some have emotional issues that they have to tackle with the weight loss making the whole process a double dose of crap. No man is an island but sometimes, being an island feels safer.
  • I PVR the show. I'm not sure exactly why I watch it because I honestly feel a bit guilty when I do. The one thing that is prevalent is that these people have endured some type of abuse or neglect early in their life. Terrible, horrible abuse that is difficult to fathom. The weight gain is often an attempt to make themselves unattractive, in order to keep people away. A lot of the people on the show come right out and say that. Then they finally realize they are killing themselves, seek help from Dr. Now, and TLC televises their suffering for our entertainment.

We all go through crap in our lives, yes. We all deal with it differently. Some people drink, do drugs, etc. Some people eat away their pain. It's not for us to understand how or why, but to have some compassion for our fellow human being.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    OP, have you ever been obese? If so, you should understand how they got there.

For me it was a mixture of things. Depression. Lack of confidence. Ignorance. Lack of knowledge and understanding. It was a complete downward spiral. I could see myself going there but I couldn't do anything to stop it at the time. I just wasn't ready to face the mountain that's weight loss.

Hijack...Ninkyou...your profile picture is precious. What a cutey :)

Thanks. She just turned 1 and still has the cheeks. <3
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    Really?

I can't see how someone can smoke crystal meth until their teeth fall out and they look like a monster.

I can't see how someone can drink so much their liver fails and they die

I can't believe someone smokes cigarettes in spite of all the dangers and continue to smoke after they get cancer and a hole in their throat.

I can't believe the adrenaline junkies that climb mountains or cliffs without ropes and constantly put their lives on the line to feel the rush!

Guess what... It's called life... Everyone has different vices, some are more apparent than others.

Just because you don't have that particular vice, doesn't mean you can't empathize with those who do.

The difference in food and all the things you mentioned is that people have to eat to survive. You can go your whole life without smoking meth or cigarettes, drinking to excess, climbing mountains without ropes, etc. I've never done any of those things. But I do have to eat. So here I am, trying to revamp my relationship with food and put it back in its proper place.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Everyone's talking about not being able to imagine the amount of food... But what about the amount of money?! I could never afford that kind of calorie intake :o eating 1 1/2 months worth of food in a single pay check? EEK!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    I think we can all agree that the focus is not on the fat, but on the persons health. There is no reason why an 700 person can not be as healthy as a person in a normal weight range. In fact many elite athletes are obese.
    The show should be titled my healthy life and concentrate more on healthy living than the nuances of moving numbers on a scale. I wish they would do at least one follow along with purposely keeping some persons calories in the 3000+ range and following their health long term. I would venture a guess that the results would be eye opening.
  • jatdh1753
    jatdh1753 Posts: 43 Member
    gfjay wrote: »
    I can see how it happens to someone. I started 2015 at 490 pounds. By the start of Dec 2015 I was 530. I am 100% positive that I would have cracked 600 by the end of 2016. Fortunately I'm getting help from my doctor and medical staff, and am back down to 490 over the last 8 weeks. I may (although won't be disappointed if I miss it a bit) hit 400 by the end of the year.

I'm not lazy. I know that binge eating causes weight gain. I'm not stupid. But it's always easier to start something tomorrow than it is today. You get to be 400, 500, 600 pounds by eating way more than necessary every day, and every day saying you're going to start tomorrow.

Severely morbidly obese people aren't asking for pity. Or excuses. However, those explicitly saying they don't have any empathy, or "just can't imagine", are speaking volumes about their own character and nothing about the obese people they reference. I'd rather be my compassionate, caring, empathetic 500 pound self forever than be a thin someone who doesn't have the ability to step in someone else's shoes or show compassion and understanding that everyone is struggling with something. Next time consider a kind word instead of judgement.

Yes. All of this - love this, and your attitude.

On the topic of what can't be imagined, I "just can't imagine" having zero compassion or empathy for other people. Speaks volumes about the OP.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2016
    And threads like this can also be very helpful to people. We are all vulnerable. Most here have the potential to gain enormous amounts of weight and most have experienced their own trauma to some degree. It's beautiful to see some of the contestants lose the weight. But there are a few who refused. I think of The mother who expected her teenage son to bring her loads of food and do everything for her. He had no life of his own. And she is the one that made every excuse not to get up and try to walk after surgery and wanted to spend most of her evenings at bunco games eating donuts and always expected her teenage son to take her. My heart went out for him this poor kid had no life while he waited on his mother. if I had a family member who weighed close to 500 to 600 pounds and expected me to bring them food while they are in bed you bat, I would bring them food but it would not be food loaded with calories it would be lean meats healthy vegetables and some fruits and water. And if they complained, I would suggest that they get out of bed and get it themselves. They have to eat so they would eventually eat the healthy foods that I gave them. One of the contestants made her two teenage daughters bring her deep fried foods. And liters of Coke. When her daughters finally said no, she threw her daughters out of the house and told them they couldn't live there anymore.

But your original post has the undertone of "I think I am better than you because I cannot imagine getting to 600 lbs. and I can't imagine (sounds judgy and no compassion) how someone would let themselves get to that."
  • whirlygigs16
    whirlygigs16 Posts: 6 Member
    Some of the people followed have Facebook or Twitter accounts. I check in on Amber Rachdi from season 3 from time to time. She's still going strong. Very happy for her. :)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    I enjoy watching My 600 Pound Life. It's very fascinating to me, and watching people turn their lives around and lose extreme amounts of weight (in fastmotion thanks to television) can be very motivating. Moreso, it's interesting to hear the thoughts and perspectives of these people. I've never been anywhere near 600 lbs, but I can hear a lot of the same excuses I used to give coming out of their mouths. Their relationships with food also strike way too close to home.

After watching a few episodes, however, it's getting easier to tell who's going to quit and who will make it by their attitude. Those that continue bad habits and whine and gripe about have to keep to their diets usually end up failing. (One lady ended up losing nothing and blaming the doctor, even though she would beg her husband for off-plan food and would absolutely refuse to do any physical therapy.)

I have to admit, I get legitimately excited and happy for those who succeed, but when someone fails because of a horrible attitude, I don't feel any empathy for them at all. I realize some fail due to medical issues and complications from the surgery, but those who simply turned their noses up at the idea of change - no, they had the ultimate chance and blew it and what they get in the end are the consequences of their stubbornness.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    Really?

I can't see how someone can smoke crystal meth until their teeth fall out and they look like a monster.

I can't see how someone can drink so much their liver fails and they die

I can't believe someone smokes cigarettes in spite of all the dangers and continue to smoke after they get cancer and a hole in their throat.

I can't believe the adrenaline junkies that climb mountains or cliffs without ropes and constantly put their lives on the line to feel the rush!

Guess what... It's called life... Everyone has different vices, some are more apparent than others.

Just because you don't have that particular vice, doesn't mean you can't empathize with those who do.

Ha-ha, well said.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    I think we need to rememeber that these people have often experienced abuse or other extenuating circumstances that caused them to emotionally eat to the point that they're around six hundred pounds. And these people are well aware of the consequences of being that heavy.

I have a lot of empathy for them. And I like that Dr. Now tells them like it is.

The only person who has ever genuinely pissed me off was Penny, because she got the surgey then refused to cooperate with anything Dr. Now said or ordered.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Both estrogen and progesterone influence your appetite, how much you eat, and the regulation and distribution of fat cells. Estrogen -- particularly estradiol, the major component of the estrogen hormone groups -- seems to decrease hunger by directly affecting the brain`s appetite center in the hypothalamus.

Progesterone, on the other hand, seems to stimulate the appetite by opposing and blocking out estrogen`s effects on the brain.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Everyone's talking about not being able to imagine the amount of food... But what about the amount of money?! I could never afford that kind of calorie intake :o eating 1 1/2 months worth of food in a single pay check? EEK!

If you've seen the show, many of the subjects aren't living a very high lifestyle.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I think most of the patients are on some sort of disability insurance since they can't work (some can and do work but most are unable to because of their medical condition)
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    I have watched every episode to date, including the one from last night!! One thing I've noticed is the most common reason for the women gaining weight like that is they mention they were molested as children, how sad! And not all the enablers are obese, most are but some are actually skinny! And there's no way these people can get to that weight on their own, I think only one guy I saw didn't depend on anyone to feed him but I don't know how he was walking, dr now said these enablers enjoy helping and catering to their spouse and some of them are lost when their spouse starts to lose weight and gain independence...

The saddest one was zaslyn? Where her husband was angry she was getting the surgery and after getting it, the drive home he starts shoving fast food in her face and saying how good it was, and told her if she wants a salad she can go eat the grass outside! But she did it with no support and her husband tempting her!

I think the enablers are even more crazy than those who weigh 600 pounds, there's something wrong when you love someone and feed them watching them slowly die
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    I really feel bad for those on the show. I lost 65 lbs and 10" off my waist - it wasn't easy and it took a year and half. They have a lot more to lose than that and there is no easy way to get there. It takes changing your entire diet, your physical activity, and really your way of thinking about food and so much more to lose hundreds of pounds. It also takes years. If you lost 7 lbs a month for a year, that's 84 pounds. 7 pounds is an awesome monthly amount, but 250 lbs would take you nearly 3 years to lose. Most of us don't like to wait 10 minutes in line for anything, so this sounds like an eternity to most people.
  • CarboUnload
    CarboUnload Posts: 30 Member
    I'm not sure that I understand what the OP was looking for with this comment or this thread. Are you looking for validation that you're allowed to feel what you're feeling about someone you don't know? Are you looking for camaraderie with other people that lack compassion like you do? This is a site for people to lose weight, and that means everyone that has weight to lose, whether it is 5 pounds or 400 pounds.

You're right, you just don't understand it and you don't have to, because the world is not your place to figure out how everyone needs to live.

I am not 600 pounds, but I am well aware that I have the propensity to get to that point if I am not mindful of what I'm eating and how I move my body, do I then fall into that category of people who you just couldn't imagine being? Or is it okay because the scale doesn't say that about me?
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Wow. Your high horse must look like this:

47q9vmhwwav7.jpg

Can I get one of those? Cause like a 600lb TLC character, I also got overweight by eating too much. It's a shame you weren't there to point that out to me...