So many hot women at running events.

That was a secret? ;)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The first mile is always a lie.
    Sometimes the second one is too. LOL

First mile doesn't even count unless you're just running a mile.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    So many hot women at running events.

That was a secret? ;)

Someone always gives that one away! grrrrrr
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    that running in 85 degrees Phoenix is much different than 85 degrees Ohio
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

TRUE! Phoenix is better!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Yep. You can open-carry in Phoenix.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

and suffocate in this dry air while frying like bacon...mmmmmbacon
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

and suffocate in this dry air while frying like bacon...mmmmmbacon

You had me at "bacon"!
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That longer and/or faster is not necessarily 'healthier'

That running can cause serious long-term injury, and some doctors say it's the reason that so many knee/hip replacements are needed in older age.

That it's not right for all bodies, and sometimes doing other things is also excellent! It's not the epitome of fitness (I had always thought this).

I run about 8-12 miles a week, at about 10-11 minutes per mile :) Quite a healthy pace, for me!

I would argue that any medical "issues" directly caused by running are more for people in the 100+ miles per week camp. It's not the healthy athletic runners getting all the hips - it's out of shape sedentary people. If anything, good regular running with proper shoes can delay tendon/cartilage damage/atrophy. As with anything there is always a "too much of a good thing" line that gets crossed though.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    That it takes a long time for toenails to regrow!

Yes!! Your toenails will fall off.

And running becomes a "need", not a "want". I am still struggling mentally that I can't use running as an outlet anymore.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I can't believe no females have mentioned peeing a little. Not during a normal run but definitely on race day or speed runs.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I ran intentionally last Saturday for the first time in many years.. probably close to 20 or so. Not that I've avoided cardio at all. I bike, swim, and we own a fairly high end elliptical. But after years of avoiding it, recently due to back concerns I finally got out and ran again. Not far (only 5 miles) or fast, but ran.

And I discovered that it's a lot more enjoyable when you don't have to do it and instead choose to. I think all the running in the military in my younger years just killed the fun in it for me.

But on the bright side, you don't forget how to run. I would have been good for a 10K on my first run. :) And the wind chill at 6 mph is nothing compared to biking, another plus when it's cooler!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Before going on holiday anywhere you use google maps to scope out a running course.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    I cannot run in loose shorts ever - even <10% body fat the thighs still rub and it's like a constant rope burn after 2k. So I'm the dork always in the compression shorts or tights..
    I'm right there with you. I don't run competitively, but I always wear compression shorts. Just the memory of thigh rub is enough to keep me from risking the burn.
    That it is essential to pee before commencing run - something about starting to run triggers an immediate diuretic effect which leaves me absolutely bursting.

Now I understand how racehorses feel about it!
    This. Start running and my bladder goes into overdrive. I haven't had that issue with my colon, thank goodness.
    dcresider wrote: »

cons: When on a hot humid day, you run through a bunch of gnats that happen to go up your nose and your trying to hack it up.
    This as well. Or when the mosquitoes are out and you stop...and they swarm like it's open season at the blood bank.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    The chills afterwards - what on earth, body?

How running faster is easier on my body than jogging slowly, even if I get tired more quickly.
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That I was not "too old to start". Didn't start till in 60s and now this is an integral part of my life.
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Compression tights make your legs feel energetic yet relaxed. Not much evidence they make you run faster, but they feel, well, zingy!
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    ... ummm, Dribble. Or sometimes a little more than dribble around mile 4. Found an awesome product called "Just Go Girl" made especially for runners to pad the front and narrow toward the back so you don't feel (or look) like you are running with a huge pad. That helped make me so much more relaxed when I first started. I was terrified that I would "lose control" and embarrass myself. Now my overall body and core tone is so much better that I don't need them most of the time. Still keep them on hand for long runs.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    How addictive it is with the run but also all things running.

How grumpy I feel if I have to miss a run, followed by changing my whole week to try and fit it back in.

I think as well when you discover work colleagues who are runners, it then becomes a major discussion every time you see them.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Investing in a good sports bra compression underwear, shorts and pants make it much more enjoyable and pain free from back ache ( for those with extra skin flopping around)

That I would end up loving it and craving it when I had to stop bc I got injured.

How important stretching is.

How important shoes are with the right fit support and to replace immediately when you notice they are wearing out.

That knee pain feet pain and back pain are a sign of shoes wore out and how to look at a shoe and know it's past due date!

How victorious and rewarding it feels to run a whole 5 k. I was 5th to last and a 19min mile but I did it!

How easy it is to lose running ability when you stop even for a week.

That one should invest in a how to be a better runner type book to learn as a new runner about technique, running style, stride, how to properly increase speed/distance to prevent overuse/injury.