I so needed this. Thanks!
  • chelle1a
    chelle1a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Round two starts tomorrow. Will keep y'all posted.
  • baisleac
    Options
    Round two starts tomorrow. Will keep y'all posted.

2nd cycle.. weight loss did NOT stop... it slowed down a little, but was nice and steady. Yay!
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    good :)
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty spot on this! I used to have two days of crazy eating just before my period (3000cals+), then the day of my period go right back to normal and would usually find that i'd lose a few extra pounds too.
    When I started tracking and didn't have these crazy eating days, I also stopped having my weight loss!

Now i'm maintaining I allow for a little extra a few days before when my hunger increases and that seems to do the trick!

Good luck with this!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! I go through similar stretches, although not as extreme.

I'm expecting TOM any day now (2 pounds up this week). It may be too late for this cycle, but I will keep it in mind for next month.

I have a Bodybugg too -- just for this type of analysis. I just have to know what my body is doing, and I find it absolutely fascinating!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm not understanding the deficit...500...100...could you break that down into calories you eat that day? 500 is already built in....so during TOM for example instead of eating 1200 you would eat 1600? Is that right?
  • baisleac
    Options
    I'm not understanding the deficit...500...100...could you break that down into calories you eat that day? 500 is already built in....so during TOM for example instead of eating 1200 you would eat 1600? Is that right?

You've got it actually, though my base calories are 1400 (plus exercise cals), which is a 500 calorie deficit (1 lb per week). During my luteal phase I've been increasing my calories to 1800 calories (plus exercise cals), which is a 100 calorie deficit in theory.

I'm finding for myself that during my luteal phase, my actual calories burned is around 200-250 calories higher than in the 1st two weeks of my cycle, which turns that "100 calorie deficit" into a 300-350 deficit. I'm still figuring out the best balance.
  • showme989
    showme989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting! I'm finding that I only lose 2 weeks out of the month, also. I'm going to increase my calories during Luteal phase and see what happens. Thanks for posting your experiment!!
  • traceyblt
    traceyblt Posts: 45
    Options
    Me too i,m a bit lost,r we to eat more durint TOM ?
  • baisleac
    Options
    Me too i,m a bit lost,r we to eat more durint TOM ?

It depends on the individual.

Some women don't seem to have problems continuing to lose during TOM (or lose it at the end). These women should just keep doing what they're doing.

However, some women, like myself, stop losing during those two weeks and it seems to be making a difference to increase intake between ovulation and menstruation.

For me, it's probably a combination of being short and being within 30 lbs of my goal weight; both of which mean a smaller safe deficit range and every calorie counts.

But it's not for everyone... I just thought I was probably not unique and others in the same situation might find the information useful. If what you're doing is working just keep on doing it.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    definitely interesting!
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post, it makes so much more sense now! :o)
  • awyler
    awyler Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm a weird one........ see I don't get my period anymore. The birth control I am on (the pill) is suppose to make me spot or just altogether skip it and well, I don't know the last time I actually had my period! But, I still get the hunger cravings and moodiness when I'm suppose to have my period. This "theory" is so interesting. I've always been extra hungry during TOM but I always thought it was just me! I think even though I'm not actually getting a period I may try this and see how it works out!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Omg I'm so glad a friend guided me here!! I have been famished all week (week before my period) and I could not, for the life of me, figure out why. I've been tracking everything but this NEVER dawned on me.

Our bodies are wayyy too complicated. lol
  • donnaeve8
    donnaeve8 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you, OP, for this post!! I have been losing only to gain during TOM. And then it takes me the next 2 weeks to get back to where I was before and so on!! IIts been 3 steps forwatd and 2 steps back for me since I started 2 1/2 months ago. It has been so frustrating that I almost gave up. And then, I saw your post. You rock!
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump. very interesting.
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We women need to keep each other in the loop like you've done. I too suffer from the TOM dilemma. I've been actively trying to lose weight for over 2 months and after the first 3-4 lbs, I fluctuate back up, then down again. Sooo frustrating!