Is there such a thing as too much Peanut butter if you don't consume any meats?

2»

Replies

• Cilantrocat
    Cilantrocat Posts: 81 Member
    I think its mean of pb to taste so good and contain so much fat. I have the powdered kind.... its not the same. :'(
  • elinor32
    elinor32 Posts: 7 Member
    Peanut butter, oh peanut butter. I love a spoonful as a treat at the end of the night.

I'm a vegetarian too, so I get it. I don't know if you're trying for more protein... and this might not be up your alley ---- but I gotta say, I love a block of tofu as a snack (*disclaimer - only the nasoya already cooked and marinated teriyaki tofu). at 80 calories it doesn't break the bank and has a ton of protein. it might be a great alternative for a more carb-free, less-peanut buttery lifestyle :))
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    As someone who became an overweight vegetarian with very little effort I can promise you, that is entirely too much peanut butter. Ease off on the nuts and focus more on beans and edamame for your protein. Hemp protein as found in shakes is also a vegetarian option.

However it sounds like you want to be a low-carb vegetarian. That's a difficult one. Good luck with that.

Sometimes you can't have your low-carb, vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free cake and eat it too. As it's now cardboard and inedible.

1nyu3nbfv2lz.jpg
  • blega086
    blega086 Posts: 2 Member
    I love peanut butter! I've never tasted better peanut butter than the "just peanut" variety - check your Kraft label, as some peanut butters have more than peanuts in them... The yellow label no name brand actually has icing sugar in it. The better quality the peanut butter, the less guilty you have to feel! I am obsessed with peanut butter - on its own, in smoothies, overnight chia/oats, in salad dressings, and stir fries... So sad it is so high in fat :(
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    blega086 wrote: »
    I love peanut butter! I've never tasted better peanut butter than the "just peanut" variety - check your Kraft label, as some peanut butters have more than peanuts in them... The yellow label no name brand actually has icing sugar in it. The better quality the peanut butter, the less guilty you have to feel! I am obsessed with peanut butter - on its own, in smoothies, overnight chia/oats, in salad dressings, and stir fries... So sad it is so high in fat :(

Adams is my favorite, it is just made with peanuts! I love stirring the oil, aww peanutbutter!
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    yes, you can absolutely eat too much peanut butter, especially if you aren't precisely sure of how much you ate. PB is really high in calories and it's easy to eat too much. I know you say you eat primarily fruit and veg but I don't think you'd be able to last long with high carb and fat and no protein. How long have you been doing this and what other foods are you actually eating?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Weigh the peanut butter so you know for sure.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    You should weigh your pb on a scale to see how much you're consuming. If it puts you over your calorie limit, it's too much.

Thats what I do. I place a piece of bread on the scale tariff it, and add 32g or whatever my target is...

Another trick is to put the jar (no lid) on the scale, zero it out, and then remove peanut butter until the scale reads the weight of a serving, except as a negative number.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    If your calorie allowance is high enough to justify 500 calories of peanut butter while still being able to fit in other nutritious foods that's fine. As for the protein, try to include cheese in your diet as it has a complementary amino acid profile to peanut butter. Now if you are basically half of your calories in peanut butter on a daily basis there is such a thing as too much because you need nutrient variety, unless you are extremely careful with the rest of your foods to be very high in nutrients you may run into problems.

I also would highly recommend weighing it accurately. Guesstimating something like a cucumber is one thing, but guesstimating something so high in calories like peanut butter may mean the difference between losing weight and stalling.