Muscles!

Options
So - I have moved and started a totally new and awesome lifestyle. I lift 3 days a week and do cardio four days a week.
I ride a bike to work and eat healthy. I am not however tracking calories at the moment (about to start to try working things out)
Before I moved I did a body composition test, now nearly two months later I have done another one.
I have gained over a kilo of muscle.
Does this mean I have to have been eating in surplus?
My friends who are all fit weightlifters and cyclists think it is brilliant and are encouraging me to keep going saying that once I put on the muscle it will be easier to lose the fat.
What do you guys think?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Does this mean I have to have been eating in surplus? ?
    No it doesn't!! If you weigh more than you did two months ago then you are in a surplus. You must have been weighed as part of the test?
    It means you may have gained a kg of muscle (but beware depending on the type of test they aren't always very accurate.
    once I put on the muscle it will be easier to lose the fat.
    No not really - for some unknown reason body builders seem to think adding a few pounds of muscle turns you into a calorie burning machine! :smile:
    In reality muscle tissue takes a tiny amount of calories for your body to maintain. The impact of a few kilos extra of muscle is negligible compared to moving a little bit more.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    No it doesn't!! If you weigh more than you did two months ago then you are in a surplus. You must have been weighed as part of the test?
    It means you may have gained a kg of muscle (but beware depending on the type of test they aren't always very accurate.
    No not really - for some unknown reason body builders seem to think adding a few pounds of muscle turns you into a calorie burning machine! :smile:
    In reality muscle tissue takes a tiny amount of calories for your body to maintain. The impact of a few kilos extra of muscle is negligible compared to moving a little bit more.

I think he nailed it
  • Aaronc118
    Aaronc118 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I think he nailed it

Actually, he didn't. Muscle and strength training take up a considerable amount of calories to be maintained and protein synthesis burns fat as muscles grow. Why do you think sprinters and athletes have low body fat and lean muscle mass? For starters muscles are made of glycogen and protein which you get from carbs and of course protein calories. Once the muscles are put under stress you begin to deplete glycogen in the muscles and protein synthesis kicks into high gear to grow the muscle. Your body is using your fat as fuel as this process occurs during your workout. You lose water weight first and then your body taps those fat stores once the glycogen is depleted. Once you start a strength training regiment your body primes the muscles for use and so what will your body crave? More calories... And I mean healthy calories, low GL carbs, protein and mono and poly fats. So therefore you have to adjust your macros for training days so your body can take in those extra calories and utilize them accordingly. Remember once your in a anabolic state (protein synthesis) your muscles are growing and they need those extra calories or the muscles will just eat themselves and you end up skinny fat. Also when your anabolic the body pulls from the fat stores to keep the normal body functions operating in your body because your muscles are busy converting carbs into glycogen and carbs are primarily glucose. So again muscle gain and strength training is crucial to fat loss. But you must also understand these things as well before adjusting your macros for training days. 1) how much glycogen your muscles can store before converting those calories into fat. 2) You should primarily consume a bulk of your carbs after your workout in order to push that protein back into your muscles because your muscle glycogen stores are depleted along with your protein. 3) Do not eat High GL carbs in the mornings because your cortisol levels are high and your insulin sensitivity is at it's highest, those carbs become instant fat. And lastly, focus on strength training exercises like squats, free weights and HIIT cardio that maximize protein synthesis which puts into an anabolic state to hit your fat stores.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    aaronc171 wrote: »

I think he nailed it

Actually, he didn't. Muscle and strength training take up a considerable amount of calories to be maintained and protein synthesis burns fat as muscles grow. Why do you think sprinters and athletes have low body fat and lean muscle mass? For starters muscles are made of glycogen and protein which you get from carbs and of course protein calories. Once the muscles are put under stress you begin to deplete glycogen in the muscles and protein synthesis kicks into high gear to grow the muscle. Your body is using your fat as fuel as this process occurs during your workout. You lose water weight first and then your body taps those fat stores once the glycogen is depleted. Once you start a strength training regiment your body primes the muscles for use and so what will your body crave? More calories... And I mean healthy calories, low GL carbs, protein and mono and poly fats. So therefore you have to adjust your macros for training days so your body can take in those extra calories and utilize them accordingly. Remember once your in a anabolic state (protein synthesis) your muscles are growing and they need those extra calories or the muscles will just eat themselves and you end up skinny fat. Also when your anabolic the body pulls from the fat stores to keep the normal body functions operating in your body because your muscles are busy converting carbs into glycogen and carbs are primarily glucose. So again muscle gain and strength training is crucial to fat loss. But you must also understand these things as well before adjusting your macros for training days. 1) how much glycogen your muscles can store before converting those calories into fat. 2) You should primarily consume a bulk of your carbs after your workout in order to push that protein back into your muscles because your muscle glycogen stores are depleted along with your protein. 3) Do not eat High GL carbs in the mornings because your cortisol levels are high and your insulin sensitivity is at it's highest, those carbs become instant fat. And lastly, focus on strength training exercises like squats, free weights and HIIT cardio that maximize protein synthesis which puts into an anabolic state to hit your fat stores.

None of that was correct except the nebulous "if you train your muscles grow" part.
  • sijomial
    Options

I think he nailed it

LOL !
    Your response started badly and went steadily downhill - great collection of bro science though.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    1 pound of muscle burns about 10 kcal per day. More muscle mass does therefore not significantly increase your calorie burn. In the same way, exercising (lifting weights) does not burn many calories.
    As I've read somewhere but lost the study since, they found again about 10 kcal per high intensity set of bench press (probably in the 5-8 rep range, and that's including increased burns during rest periods). A normal workout thus would burn around 200 calories probably.

Also I'm a bit confused why you bring up sprinters having low body fat when talking about strength training.

Your muscles only grow through progressive overload, not just from any amount of stress.
    During your workout most of your fuel will come from that glycogen being depleted, not fat. Later on when glycogen gets restored you'll lose an increased amount of fat though.
    Your body does not know what low and high GL is. It frankly doesn't care where its energy comes from as long as it gets enough.
    Your muscles don't eat themselves in an anabolic state. The very definition of anabolic is the exact opposite of that.
    When you consume your carbs is irrelevant and you don't need to "push that protein back into your muscles". Back? Did it leave? And how would eating carbs affect that in any way?
    Carbs are rarely to never turned into "instant fat". Your glycogen stores are rarely completely full.
    And if you're in a calorie surplus (which is the only time you're ever really going to be anabolic) you're not going to hit your fat stores. There's nowhere for the energy to do its thing because you're already consuming enough to sustain yourself + grow your muscles.
    And if you're in a deficit your body is already busy keeping you alive and repairing your muscles back to how they were before and will barely waste any more energy on making them bigger than they need to be.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i think when you put on muscle its easier to lose fat, because putting on muscle requires diligence and a lifestyle change and when you reach that stage you are making better food choices and care about your body on a different level., and that makes it easier to lose the fat . thats my non scientific response.
  • Aaronc118
    Options

I think he nailed it

LOL !
    Your response started badly and went steadily downhill - great collection of bro science though.

Dude, I won't even begin to run down my resume to you because you clearly can't respond intellectually. Good luck with your dieting goals my friend.
  • stevencloser
    Options

I think he nailed it

LOL !

Dude, I won't even begin to run down my resume to you because you clearly can't respond intellectually. Good luck with your dieting goals my friend.

I'm glad you won't tell us your resume, it would reflect badly onto whoever trained you.
  • Aaronc118
    Options

I think he nailed it

None of that was correct except the nebulous "if you train your muscles grow" part.

If none of this correct then post your evidence and discredit me. I have factual data to back me up.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    also please be aware OP is female, she's not gonna be putting on any amount of significant muscle to make a difference at all in her daily calorie burn, even if muscle did burn more calories.
    Me personally, i've tested myself over the years every which way but sunday to see if my pre lifting body burned any different amount of calories than my post lifting body. and the answer was no. If anything, the more fat i have the more calories i burn from lugging around all that extra weight.
  • stevencloser
    Options

I think he nailed it

If none of this correct then post your evidence and discredit me. I have factual data to back me up.

Did. Also it's as always not on the person telling you you're BSing to prove you wrong. If you have data, show them.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I think he nailed it

Welcome to MFP. We love science, facts and data. Please share.
  • Aaronc118
    Options
    Here's a little tid bit of info for you. But I guess this is so called bro science.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phano89.htm

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options

I think he nailed it

The broscience is strong with this one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sijomial
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @aaronc171
    Just your first sentence was so far from the truth it's astonishing - strength training burns about as much as a brisk walk and daily maintenance calories per pound of muscle tissue is tiny.
    Have a read of the Bodyrecompostion site - seriously, it will only help your knowledge levels.

You clearly don't understand the role of glycogen and fat as fuels either. Have a look at respiratory exchange ratios if you want to educate yourself.

etc. etc. etc....

• stevencloser
    Options
    Here's a little tid bit of info for you. But I guess this is so called bro science.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phano89.htm

Beautiful. An opinion article whose only links are links to other articles on the same website where at least one bullet point includes the phrase "I believe".
  • Aaronc118
    Options
    Here's some more bro science from an actual physician. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haY8Q72hgI8
  • Aaronc118
    Options
    I'll give you this last one on Insulin control written by a man with a PHD. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-muscle-building-messenger-complete-guide-to-insulin.html

Again, if you think my info is inaccurate prove it. And oh yeah my gains speak for all for all of this. Went from 22% body to 10.6% in six months and I maintain this body weight, lean mass and body fat content daily.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    And a youtube video and an article that's in the "fun" section of bodybuilding.com.

@ninerbuff can you go on? Maybe he'll listen to someone who has 30+ years experience and many credentials.
    I doubt it, but it's worth a try.