Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Well if I get such low protein, what do YOU think is a good enough amount of protein? I'm not a bodybuilder so why do I need more than 50g's of protein..?

I'd say around 120g of protein a day

Check here:

http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

That's more or in-line with some bodybuilders that weigh 210 pounds! Why would I ever need that much?

Hahahaaa!!! My wife doesn't even weigh half that much and she's certainly not a bodybuilder but her protein goal is 110 grams.
    Why? Because she wants to retain muscle mass while she loses weight.
    Research shows that when .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight is consumed during a calorie deficit, muscle retention is greatly improved, leading to increased fat loss and reduced muscle loss.

As I am a cyclist, I do not want the muscle in my upper body. I have no need for an excess of protein in my diet.

As a cyclist, I'm sure you do want it in your legs and glutes.

ETA, and you don't want any muscle in your upper body? Wanna struggle to open peanut butter jars?

I don't eat peanut butter so I really can't say that I will have trouble with something I won't be dealing with.

74127-simon-cowell-gif-vgYR.gif
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well if I get such low protein, what do YOU think is a good enough amount of protein? I'm not a bodybuilder so why do I need more than 50g's of protein..?

Check here:

That's more or in-line with some bodybuilders that weigh 210 pounds! Why would I ever need that much?

Hahahaaa!!! My wife doesn't even weigh half that much and she's certainly not a bodybuilder but her protein goal is 110 grams.
    Research shows that when .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight is consumed during a calorie deficit, muscle retention is greatly improved, leading to increased fat loss and reduced muscle loss.

As I am a cyclist, I do not want the muscle in my upper body. I have no need for an excess of protein in my diet.

ETA, and you don't want any muscle in your upper body? Wanna struggle to open peanut butter jars?

Protip: Click on username, then click 'Ignore'. Just sayin'. Unfortunately, you'll still see the responses when somebody quotes them, but it's still an improvement.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Check here:

I don't eat peanut butter so I really can't say that I will have trouble with something I won't be dealing with.

74127-simon-cowell-gif-vgYR.gif

Just sayin'.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    High amounts of protein can leech calcium out of your bones.

Do you have some actual evidence for this? I'm only finding that it was related to one study from 1992 that has been proven wrong time and time again as the "acidifying" effect it's attributed to does not actually occur.

He tends to broscience a lot

Protein Does NOT Leach Calcium From Your Bones and Cause Osteoporosis

http://authoritynutrition.com/is-too-much-protein-bad-for-you/

It is commonly believed that a high protein intake can contribute to osteoporosis.

The theory is that the protein increases the acid load of your body, which then causes the body to take calcium out of the bones to neutralize the acid.

Even though there are some studies showing increased calcium excretion in the short term, this effect does not persist over the long term.

In fact, longer term studies do not support this idea at all. In one 9 week study, replacing carbohydrate with meat did not affect calcium excretion and improved some hormones known to promote bone health, like IGF-1 (2).

A review published in in 2011 concluded that there is no evidence that increased protein harms the bones. If anything, the evidence points to a higher protein intake improving bone health, NOT the other way around (3).

There are multiple other studies and papers showing that a higher protein intake is a good thing when it comes to bone health.

For example, it improves bone density and lowers the risk of fracture. It also increases IGF-1 and lean mass, both known to promote bone health (4, 5, 6, 7, 8).

The whole protein-osteoporosis thing is a myth with literally zero evidence to back it up. This is one example of where blindly following conventional nutritional wisdom leads to the exact opposite result of what you expected.

Bottom Line: Despite a high protein intake increasing calcium excretion in the short term, long term studies show a strong positive effect on bone health.

In all fairness, and even though I agree with the article.. Isn't Authority Nutrition often poo pooed around here?

Actually Alan aragon has given credit to ths web site for finally excepting some science
    It
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    Oops....
    I can't spell
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Check here:

Protip: Click on username, then click 'Ignore'. Just sayin'. Unfortunately, you'll still see the responses when somebody quotes them, but it's still an improvement.

I have yet to put anyone on ignore, but the temptation is certainly there.

OP, if you have pre-existing kidney function issues, then I would recommend consulting your doctor or a registered dietician about protein intake. Otherwise, eat in the manner in which you feel full, fueled, and you micro/macro needs are met.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Check here:

Yeah but the thought that there would be more to a thread than I can see just bothers me.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    High amounts of protein can leech calcium out of your bones.

Do you have some actual evidence for this? I'm only finding that it was related to one study from 1992 that has been proven wrong time and time again as the "acidifying" effect it's attributed to does not actually occur.

The next time that he posts any evidence of one of his ridiculous claims beyond "I weigh 153 lbs bruh" will be the first time

http://www.livestrong.com/article/545106-can-too-much-protein-deplete-calcium/

"High-protein diets may be effective for short-term weight loss, but long-term consumption of excess protein can deplete your body's calcium. In addition, high-protein diets can lead to nutritional deficiencies, inadequate fiber intake and consumption of too many saturated fats. If you have a pre-existing kidney or liver impairment, avoid high-protein diets because they place additional burdens on these compromised organs. If you're healthy, the Harvard School of Public Health recommends that you consume approximately 25 percent of your total calories in the form of protein."

You guys are the same people that burst my bubble when I say that everyone can handle 2000 calories a day while burning off 500 of it. You go and say that not everyone can have such a cookie cutter diet and then go and belittle me for not following your "cookie cutter" diets. Doesn't make sense.

Just because an article in livestrong.com makes the same bogus claim doesn't make it evidence. Evidence would be proof that the claim is true, not just proof that someone else believes it.

In the SAME article, it says "A 2003 study published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" explains that chronic consumption of large amounts of protein leads to a condition known as hypercalciuria. This condition is characterized by impaired absorption of calcium, which is then excreted. Left untreated, hypercalciuria can lead to thinning of the bones, increased risk of sudden bone fractures and osteoporosis."

There's your study for you, no bogus claim.

If you read the actual study, that's not what is says at all.

At low protein intakes, intestinal calcium absorption is reduced, resulting in increases in serum PTH and calcitriol that persist, at least for 2 wk. The long-term implications of these findings are unknown, but recent epidemiologic data suggest increased rates of bone loss in individuals consuming such diets. Individuals consuming high protein intakes, particularly from omnivorous sources, develop sustained hypercalciuria that is due for the most part to an increase in intestinal calcium absorption. Whether an increase in bone resorption contributes to the hypercalciuria and in the long term results in higher fracture rates remains uncertain.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/78/3/584S.long
  • Wetcoaster
    edited February 2016
    Options
    From Stuart Phillips https://www.facebook.com/SMPPh.D/posts/879553312067619

• Dietary phosphate does not have a negative impact on calcium metabolism, which is contrary to the acid-ash hypothesis.
    It’s time to stop people who say that protein promotes poor bone health and that milk is especially bad in this regard. It’s not true, not evidence-based, and just plain wrong! Dismount from soap-box
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Check here:

Yeah but the thought that there would be more to a thread than I can see just bothers me.

The space still shows up, so you have the option to click on it and read it anyway. Kind of like when someone's post is hidden once it's been flagged a lot.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lgriffith5 wrote: »
    Often over 50% of my calorie intake is protein. Is that bad? I'm very active, doing Body Pump, Spin, mountain biking, or trail running 6 days a week.
    Not bad, just not necessary...

• Carlos_421
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Check here:

The space still shows up, so you have the option to click on it and read it anyway. Kind of like when someone's post is hidden once it's been flagged a lot.

Aha. Now that I could live with.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Check here:

Please don't give cyclists a bad name...
  • OMP33
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Check here:

Find one pro cyclist that wants a huge upper body and get back to me.
  • nutmegoreo
    edited February 2016
    Options

Check here:

I'm certain most of them would like enough upper body strength to open a jar of peanut butter. I don't really have the inclination to e-mail and ask though, so it's really just conjecture on my part.
  • nutmegoreo
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • OMP33
    Options

Check here:

I'm certain most of them would like enough upper body strength to open a jar of peanut butter. I don't really have the inclination to e-mail and ask though, so it's really just conjecture on my part.

So eating a lot of protein correlates to if you can open a peanut butter jar or not? I think 95% of people can open a peanut butter jar regardless of diet.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Check here:

How does "retain existing muscle" translate to "huge upper body?"
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    this is all you need to read about protein controversy. Read everything by Lyle if you want science. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html/
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Check here:

So eating a lot of protein correlates to if you can open a peanut butter jar or not? I think 95% of people can open a peanut butter jar regardless of diet.

How does it feel to be a 5-percenter?
This discussion has been closed.