OMP33 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Well if I get such low protein, what do YOU think is a good enough amount of protein? I'm not a bodybuilder so why do I need more than 50g's of protein..?

I'd say around 120g of protein a day

Check here:

http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

That's more or in-line with some bodybuilders that weigh 210 pounds! Why would I ever need that much?

Hahahaaa!!! My wife doesn't even weigh half that much and she's certainly not a bodybuilder but her protein goal is 110 grams.
    Why? Because she wants to retain muscle mass while she loses weight.
    Research shows that when .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight is consumed during a calorie deficit, muscle retention is greatly improved, leading to increased fat loss and reduced muscle loss.

As I am a cyclist, I do not want the muscle in my upper body. I have no need for an excess of protein in my diet.

Please don't give cyclists a bad name...

Find one pro cyclist that wants a huge upper body and get back to me.

I'm certain most of them would like enough upper body strength to open a jar of peanut butter. I don't really have the inclination to e-mail and ask though, so it's really just conjecture on my part.

So eating a lot of protein correlates to if you can open a peanut butter jar or not? I think 95% of people can open a peanut butter jar regardless of diet.

Yes! That is exactly what I was saying.

cedletgk3lr1.gif
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well if I get such low protein, what do YOU think is a good enough amount of protein? I'm not a bodybuilder so why do I need more than 50g's of protein..?

Check here:

That's more or in-line with some bodybuilders that weigh 210 pounds! Why would I ever need that much?

Hahahaaa!!! My wife doesn't even weigh half that much and she's certainly not a bodybuilder but her protein goal is 110 grams.
    Research shows that when .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight is consumed during a calorie deficit, muscle retention is greatly improved, leading to increased fat loss and reduced muscle loss.

As I am a cyclist, I do not want the muscle in my upper body. I have no need for an excess of protein in my diet.

How does "retain existing muscle" translate to "huge upper body?"

I was replying to the Hornsby with that one. Pro cyclist's don't want to retain existing muscle either, they want the least mass in their upper body they can get to.
  • OMP33
    Options

Check here:

I'm certain most of them would like enough upper body strength to open a jar of peanut butter. I don't really have the inclination to e-mail and ask though, so it's really just conjecture on my part.

So eating a lot of protein correlates to if you can open a peanut butter jar or not? I think 95% of people can open a peanut butter jar regardless of diet.

That's silly.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Check here:

I was replying to the Hornsby with that one. Pro cyclist's don't want to retain existing muscle either, they want the least muscular upper body they can get.

You realize that existing muscle includes lower-body as well, right? Pretty sure cyclists don't want to lose that?
  • OMP33
    Options

Check here:

How does it feel to be a 5-percenter?

I'm not sure, ask yourself that question.
  • OMP33
    Options

Check here:

I was replying to the Hornsby with that one. Pro cyclist's don't want to retain existing muscle either, they want the least muscular upper body they can get.

You realize that existing muscle includes lower-body as well, right? Pretty sure cyclists don't want to lose that?

As we had no mention of "lower body" muscle, I don't know where you got that from. We were talking about upper-body.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    "Guidelines for protein intake of endurance athletes suggest that cyclists need around 1-1.5 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight for optimal health and performance." http://cyclingtips.com/2012/04/protein-for-cyclists/
  • OMP33
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    "Guidelines for protein intake of endurance athletes suggest that cyclists need around 1-1.5 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight for optimal health and performance." http://cyclingtips.com/2012/04/protein-for-cyclists/

And that's about what I get. I get around 50-60g a day.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Check here:

Maybe it's like spot reducing but for muscle.

Check here:

That's silly.

Forgot the sarcasm font.
  • eeejer
    Options

You weigh 110lbs? If so, great. Although they go on to say that upping that to 2g/kg is advised if eating at a deficit.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Check here:

As we had no mention of "lower body" muscle, I don't know where you got that from. We were talking about upper-body.

No, we were talking about muscle retention, period. Which you for some reason misinterpreted to mean a "huge upper body"

LOL. Do you even math? 153lbs = 69kg, so you should be getting between around 70-105g of protein per day.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It is true that a lot of people on here are eating more protein than what's required. While I do agree with most that 50g of protein is not enough for men, not everyone needs over 100g. I have gained muscle eating 75-90g a day, which is a lower intake than a lot of the females on here. I usually get in around 100g a day, sometimes a little more, and that higher intake is partly due to the fact that I needed to lower my carb consumption for medical reasons.

Here is part of the issue I have with some of these studies that show higher protein intakes are good. As an example, one of the studies cited in the link from authority nutrition mentioned this:
    A low (0.7 g/kg body weight), but not a high (2.1 g/kg), protein intake was associated with an increase in biochemical markers of bone turnover compared with a diet containing 1.0 g/kg of protein.(5) High meat diets (1.6 g/kg body weight of protein) compared with 0.9 g/kg for 8 weeks did not affect calcium retention or indices of bone metabolism.(6)
    For someone of my size, 0.7 g/kg would be 40g of protein, 2.1 g/kg would be 120g protein, 1.0 g/kg would be 57g protein, 1.6 g/kg would be 91g protein, and 0.9g/kg would be 51g protein. It seems to me like some here are certainly eating more (or saying it's perfectly fine) than the highest amount in that study (2.1 g/kg), so the effect on the body may not be predictable.

And the author of that article from which these studies were mentioned even stated this "Although I don’t know of any study that demonstrates exactly when it becomes harmful, I’d say that 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (2.2 grams per kg) or 30-40% of calories should be safe, but going beyond that is uncharted territory."
  • OMP33
    Options

Check here:

No, we were talking about muscle retention, period. Which you for some reason misinterpreted to mean a "huge upper body"

LOL. Do you even math? 153lbs = 69kg, so you should be getting between around 70-105g of protein per day.

Did you see the word "about"
  • eeejer
    Options
    Again from Lyle, who literally wrote The Book on protein (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-protein-book/): "So here’s my recommendation, strength/power athletes should aim for 1.5 g/lb protein per day (again, this is about 3.3 g/kg for the metrically inclined). So for a 200 lb strength/power athlete, that’s 300 grams of protein per day. For a 300 lber, that’s 450 grams per day. If you’re Jeff Lewis, I imagine your protein requirements are basically ‘All of it’ or perhaps ‘A cow’. Per day." http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/protein-requirements-for-strength-and-power-athletes.html/

It is not uncharted territory, most strength athletes eat at least this much and some eat much more.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Again https://www.facebook.com/SMPPh.D/posts/879553312067619

Dietary protein causes bone loss… we’ve all heard this or read it, or perhaps been told it by someone ‘knowledgeable’ on the topic. But is it true? I mean is there evidence to support this claim? The basic observation that lead to this claim is that higher protein intake, particularly of sources of protein rich in sulphur-containing amino acids (meat and grains), leads to acidification of the blood and that causes resorption of calcium from bones, which leads to higher blood calcium, which leads to calciuria (more calcium being excreted in the urine). This is a very simplistic explanation, but it works for what I’m about to talk about. There is also a consideration of phosphorous in here, but it gets little more complicated when we bring it into the equation. Nonetheless, the basic hypothesis for this mechanism has been termed the acid-ash hypothesis: more acid = more ash (calcium) excretion. From an excellent meta-analysis (in ‘science-speak’) these authors (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19419322) say: The acid-ash hypothesis posits that protein [especially meat and dairy] and grain foods, with a low potassium intake [vegetables], produce a diet acid load, net acid excretion (NAE), increased urine calcium, and release of calcium from the skeleton, leading to osteoporosis. So where’s the evidence? Well instead of reviewing individual studies and cherry picking your favourite one we’re going to use and evidence-based approach (I’m at McMaster – the touted birthplace of EBM – and if I don’t say Evidence-Based Medicine I am roundly jeered by my colleagues). So let’s take a look…

First, one of the better analyses is from Dr. Tanis Fenton and was published in 2008 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18842807) in which they reviewed 25 studies that met their inclusion criteria and concluded “Evidence suggests a linear association between changes in calcium excretion in response to experimental changes in net acid excretion. However, this finding is not evidence that the source of the excreted calcium is bone or that this calciuria contributes to the development of osteoporosis.” Interesting? So more calcium is excreted in the urine and yet it may not be coming from bone? Interestingly, from a prior mechanistic standpoint Dr. Jane Kerstetter at Yale showed that in highly detailed studies actually tracing calcium uptake and excretion that with increasing protein intake there was greater gut calcium uptake (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15546911) and “The high-protein diet caused a significant reduction in the fraction of urinary calcium of bone origin and a nonsignificant trend toward a reduction in the rate of bone turnover. There were no protein-induced effects on net bone balance. These data directly demonstrate that, at least in the short term, high-protein diets are not detrimental to bone.”

So onto further EBM to answer the question. In another meta-analysis (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19419322) the conclusion was that, “The acid-ash hypothesis posits that protein and grain foods, with a low potassium intake, produce a diet acid load, net acid excretion (NAE), increased urine calcium, and release of calcium from the skeleton, leading to osteoporosis… There is no evidence from superior quality balance studies that increasing the diet acid load promotes skeletal bone mineral loss or osteoporosis. Changes of urine calcium do not accurately represent calcium balance. Promotion of the "alkaline diet" to prevent calcium loss is not justified.” Essentially, there are more meta-analyses on this topic (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19754972, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20459740), but all have reached the same conclusion, “A causal association between dietary acid load and osteoporotic bone disease is not supported by evidence and there is no evidence that an alkaline diet is protective of bone health.” In fact, some evidence (not conclusive) suggests that “Dietary protein is beneficial to bone health under conditions of adequate calcium intake…” (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24316688).

There’s nothing like hyperbole and pseudo-science and the occasional ‘cherry-picked’ study to support the protein = bone loss argument, but it’s not evidence-based and it’s CERTAINLY not supported by science. When one looks hard enough and reads (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21529374 ) then you have to read deeper that someone’s blog. In this paper “Causal assessment of dietary acid load and bone disease: a systematic review & meta-analysis applying Hill's epidemiologic criteria for causality.” The authors looked to “The objective of this systematic review was to evaluate causal relationships between dietary acid load and osteoporosis using Hill's criteria.” Basically Hill’s criteria is interesting and relates to a paper written in 1965 (yes that’s right) entitled “The environment and disease: Association or causation?” If you’re interested give it a read (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14283879). The bottom line here is that these authors reviewed a lot of high quality trial evidence in this area and concluded as I stated above “A causal association between dietary acid load and osteoporotic bone disease is not supported by evidence and there is no evidence that an alkaline diet is protective of bone health.” Most interesting to me in this paper is the use of Hill’s criteria and really of Hill’s 4th criteria “plausibility.” In this area the authors state that “Regarding Hill's plausibility criterion that a theory fit with current biological knowledge, the mechanism for diet acid load induced mineral resorption at the bone is not well described.

Some researchers assert that bone is dissolved, releasing skeletal calcium and bicarbonate to neutralize the systemic acidemia… Others hypothesize that the effect occurs at the kidney: calcium is lost in the urine as urinary bicarbonate is reabsorbed from the distal nephron to compensate for the excretion of anions. However, none of the in vitro studies supported these concepts since not one of these studies reported studies of bone demineralization or any adverse effects (such as activation of osteoclasts or enzymes) within the physiological range (7.35 to 7.45).” So basically, there’s not event good biological support for the relationship! The article is a good one and one that I think can serve as a blueprint for how to systemically critique published literature; give it a read it’s a free download! (http://www.nutritionj.com/content/10/1/41#B31)

But, what about milk? I mean it’s the worst right, that’s why we should drink soy ‘milk’ and almond ‘milk’ and rice ‘milk’ (note: the word milk implies that something came from a mammary gland so since neither soy, nor almonds, nor rice have those then it’s not milk). I’ll leave the final word to the person who’s done a lot of work in this area Dr. Tanis Fenton who in this paper (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22081694) entitled “Milk and acid-base balance: proposed hypothesis versus scientific evidence.” After conducting 4 meta-analyses concluded:
    • Measurement of an acidic pH urine does not reflect metabolic acidosis or an adverse health condition.
    • The modern diet, and dairy product consumption, does not make the body acidic.
    • Alkaline diets alter urine pH but do not change systemic pH.
    • Net acid excretion is not an important influence of calcium metabolism.
    • Milk is not acid producing.
    • Dietary phosphate does not have a negative impact on calcium metabolism, which is contrary to the acid-ash hypothesis.

It’s time to stop people who say that protein promotes poor bone health and that milk is especially bad in this regard. It’s not true, not evidence-based, and just plain wrong! Dismount from soap-box

Meta-analysis of the effect of the acid-ash hypothesis of osteoporo... - PubMed - NCBI
    J Bone Miner Res. 2009 Nov;24(11):1835-40. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.090515. Meta-Analysis; Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov|By Fenton TR , et al.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19419322
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Check here:

Actually, I said muscle retention and you replied that, as a cyclist, you don't want to retain muscle because you don't want upper body muscles.
    No one else was talking about upper body musculature but you.

As for the peanut butter jar, that was me being snarky because you said you didn't want muscle on your upper body.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Check here:

Your median intake is 55g. The median recommended intake for someone your size is 86g.

So you're getting around 64% of the recommended intake. Yeah, about the same.
  • OMP33
    Options

Check here:

Your median intake is 55g. The median recommended intake for someone your size is 86g.

So you're getting around 64% of the recommended intake. Yeah, about the same.

Why should I be getting that extra 30g of protein? What will it be doing for me in the long-run?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Check here:

I was replying to the Hornsby with that one. Pro cyclist's don't want to retain existing muscle either, they want the least mass in their upper body they can get to.

Lance Armstrong disagrees...
    lance-armstrong-06.jpg
  • asimms221
    asimms221 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This guy already made up his mind before even posting, trying to get him to understand is time that could be better spent reaching correct protein macros.
This discussion has been closed.