OMP33 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Well if I get such low protein, what do YOU think is a good enough amount of protein? I'm not a bodybuilder so why do I need more than 50g's of protein..?

I'd say around 120g of protein a day

Check here:

http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

That's more or in-line with some bodybuilders that weigh 210 pounds! Why would I ever need that much?

Hahahaaa!!! My wife doesn't even weigh half that much and she's certainly not a bodybuilder but her protein goal is 110 grams.
    Why? Because she wants to retain muscle mass while she loses weight.
    Research shows that when .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight is consumed during a calorie deficit, muscle retention is greatly improved, leading to increased fat loss and reduced muscle loss.

As I am a cyclist, I do not want the muscle in my upper body. I have no need for an excess of protein in my diet.

Please don't give cyclists a bad name...

Find one pro cyclist that wants a huge upper body and get back to me.

How does "retain existing muscle" translate to "huge upper body?"

I was replying to the Hornsby with that one. Pro cyclist's don't want to retain existing muscle either, they want the least muscular upper body they can get.

You realize that existing muscle includes lower-body as well, right? Pretty sure cyclists don't want to lose that?

As we had no mention of "lower body" muscle, I don't know where you got that from. We were talking about upper-body.

No, we were talking about muscle retention, period. Which you for some reason misinterpreted to mean a "huge upper body"
    eeejer wrote: »
    "Guidelines for protein intake of endurance athletes suggest that cyclists need around 1-1.5 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight for optimal health and performance." http://cyclingtips.com/2012/04/protein-for-cyclists/

And that's about what I get. I get around 50-60g a day.

LOL. Do you even math? 153lbs = 69kg, so you should be getting between around 70-105g of protein per day.

Did you see the word "about"

Your median intake is 55g. The median recommended intake for someone your size is 86g.

So you're getting around 64% of the recommended intake. Yeah, about the same.

Why should I be getting that extra 30g of protein? What will it be doing for me in the long-run?

Preventing muscle (thus also strength) deterioration. If you think you'll be able to advance to elite level cycling without adequate protein intake to build and repair muscle tissue, you'll be greatly disappointed.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    asimms221 wrote: »
    This guy already made up his mind before even posting, trying to get him to understand is time that could be better spent reaching correct protein macros.

like by eating the flesh of people who eat too little protein? I'm in.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well if I get such low protein, what do YOU think is a good enough amount of protein? I'm not a bodybuilder so why do I need more than 50g's of protein..?

Check here:

That's more or in-line with some bodybuilders that weigh 210 pounds! Why would I ever need that much?

Hahahaaa!!! My wife doesn't even weigh half that much and she's certainly not a bodybuilder but her protein goal is 110 grams.
    Research shows that when .8-1.2 grams of protein per pound of lean bodyweight is consumed during a calorie deficit, muscle retention is greatly improved, leading to increased fat loss and reduced muscle loss.

As I am a cyclist, I do not want the muscle in my upper body. I have no need for an excess of protein in my diet.

I was replying to the Hornsby with that one. Pro cyclist's don't want to retain existing muscle either, they want the least mass in their upper body they can get to.

Lance Armstrong disagrees...
    lance-armstrong-06.jpg

Lance Armstrong also used EPO, enhanced his testosterone, used Cortisone, and used Human growth hormones. He's not the most natural cyclist, he's admitted to doping.

Here's Chris Froome, pro cyclist who's apart of team sky who just won his second tour de france in 2015

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Chris_Froome_-_The_First_Man_to_Cycle_through_the_Eurotunnel_(14593593775)_(cropped).jpg/1024px-Chris_Froome_-_The_First_Man_to_Cycle_through_the_Eurotunnel_(14593593775)_(cropped).jpg
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Another point: some of these studies were conducted over short term periods (weeks). I do think it's clear that intakes over the RDA certainly do offer benefits. But that doesn't mean it's safe to eat massive amounts over that for years (I'm talking about amounts over 2.1g/kg a day, and especially 1.4 g/lb or more mentioned by Lyle.) Just because some strength athletes eat amounts over that doesn't mean that they're not doing some (slow) damage over the course of years. Of course, I realize there isn't necessarily proof that this is harmful, but I don't think it can be said with certainty that it's safe.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    This guy already made up his mind before even posting, trying to get him to understand is time that could be better spent reaching correct protein macros.

13986_700b.jpg
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Check here:

I was replying to the Hornsby with that one. Pro cyclist's don't want to retain existing muscle either, they want the least mass in their upper body they can get to.

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

Lance Armstrong also used EPO, enhanced his testosterone, used Cortisone, and used Human growth hormones. He's not the most natural cyclist, he's admitted to doping.

I'm not endorsing that. But what he did resulted in him becoming very strong and muscular. And that strength and muscularity won him a lot of races.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Meh. They taste too much like plants.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Another point: some of these studies were conducted over short term periods (weeks). I do think it's clear that intakes over the RDA certainly do offer benefits. But that doesn't mean it's safe to eat massive amounts over that for years (I'm talking about amounts over 2.1g/kg a day, and especially 1.4 g/lb or more mentioned by Lyle.)

However we do have anecdotal evidence, ie: centuries of strongmen.

i2juk5wsfdwk.jpeg
  • OMP33
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

I'm not endorsing that. But what he did resulted in him becoming very strong and muscular. And that strength and muscularity won him a lot of races.

No, he won because he was doping. Not because he was strong and muscular.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

Lol. What, pray tell do you think the Test and HGH did to improve his performance? (Hint: made him stronger and more muscular).
  • OMP33
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

Lol. What, pray tell do you think the Test and HGH did to improve his performance? (Hint: made him stronger and more muscular).

He was doping. Geez, you'll argue on anything. We first stated that pro cyclists don't want a big upper body, and that's true. Just drop it.
  • Carlos_421
    edited February 2016
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

Do you not know how steroids work?
    Roids+exercise=greater muscle gains=advantage=winning

Thus, the increased muscle and strength he gained from juicing gave him the advantage he needed to win.

"Doping" isn't like a one shot wonder where you pop a pill and all of a sudden you've got three hours of super human strength.
  • OMP33
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

So in theory he won because he was doping.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

He won because the doping made him stronger and more muscular than he would have been otherwise.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Geez. The young lady who started this thread asked a question, and instead of recognizing that there are thousands of articles out there saying contradicting things, everybody wants to quote them.

There are so many different rules that you have to find what works for you. I try to follow the rule 1g of protein per pound. So a 210lbs bodybuilder should intake an average of 210g, where as 150 - 150g. But there are other articles/websites which recommend .5 to .7 per lbs.

Unfortunately, all of our bodies are different, and we are have unique workouts and goals, so there is no one thing fits everybody.
  • OMP33
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

He won because the doping made him stronger and more muscular than he would have been otherwise.

So he won cause he was doping.
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

He was doping. Geez, you'll argue on anything. We first stated that pro cyclists don't want a big upper body, and that's true. Just drop it.

No, we first stated that sufficient protein is vital for muscle retention/repair.

Then you turned it into an argument that muscles don't matter because you're a cyclist and big pecs will slow you down.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

No, he won because he was stronger and more muscular. If he had achieved that without the doping, he still would have won.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

Remember he also beat all the other pro cyclists who were doping at the same time. In that period the elite were virtually all at it.

Yes some cyclists deliberately lose upper body mass - Bradly Wiggins was a good example. Lost the slightly more developed upper body that track cyclists have compared to road cyclists to improve his power to weight ratio to go on and win the TdF.

It may be a compromise you are prepared to make but that makes you very unusual and for the general public or recreational rider it would pretty silly.

What level do you compete at?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Check here:

lance-armstrong-06.jpg

No, he won because he was stronger and more muscular. If he had achieved that without the doping, he still would have won.

The extra muscle he attained, gave him the extra strength, and therefore edge over his competitors, right?
This discussion has been closed.