Green tea?

Options
13»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    I drink a cup every morning when I'm at work. It has tremendous health benefits and it DOES help your body burn fat. http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-green-tea/

Do you usually use websites with advertisements like that as your sources?

194218c40c1be8af0eede7d9589b837d.png
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    There are some studies that suggest it might help people lose weight, but if I remember correctly the difference was pretty minimal in the studies. If you dont like it, it's not worth choking it down. As long as you keep in your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. If you like it, drink it, it might help a little bit, but dont view it as an excuse to consume more calories.
    I personally only like it with sugar, so the calories it adds arent worth it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting to drink green tea, does anyone else drink it?
    I've read it helps with weight loss?
    But does it taste nice or not?

Any info would be great thankyou

Yes.
    It probably makes 1% difference.
    Yes but not nice like strawberries or snuffles from a baby elephant. I like the taste.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    "Green tea may promote a small, non-significant weight loss in overweight and obese adults; however, since the weight lost in the studies were so minimal, it is unlikely that green tea is clinically important for weight loss."
    I couldnt find the actual study but this quote is from the Medical News Today website. Pretty much sums it up. To me it is a bit bitter without sugar. Maybe try some mint to keep it zero cal. But I personally dont like it that much.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There are some studies that suggest it might help people lose weight, but if I remember correctly the difference was pretty minimal in the studies. If you dont like it, it's not worth choking it down. As long as you keep in your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. If you like it, drink it, it might help a little bit, but dont view it as an excuse to consume more calories.
    I personally only like it with sugar, so the calories it adds arent worth it.

It might give a 4% increase according to one study back in 1999: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10584049
    To put that in perspective, it would allow a healthy person to eat something like 50-100 extra calories if it worked perfectly. That's within the margin of error for most calorie counters.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea daily... Because I love tea. Lots of antioxidants, yea, but I just like the flavor ;) green tea can be finicky, if the water is too hot, it burns the leaves, & gets pretty nasty tasting. Drink it for hydration, or because it makes you happy (mental health is just as important as physical), not for weight loss.
  • crystalcassarah315
    Options
    Man, I'd have to look at the bottle again, but if it is bad for you then that sucks cause i just bought a case yesterday..
  • jessicaaar22
    jessicaaar22 Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone I did try it and it was absolutely rank! Thankyou for all your info and comments everyone!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of starting to drink green tea, does anyone else drink it?
    I've read it helps with weight loss?
    But does it taste nice or not?

Any info would be great thankyou

It's dubious as to it's weight loss credentials, however it is a good source of antioxidants and if you like the taste its a great way to keep yourself hydrated.

If you find the taste a little too bitter you can opt for the more expensive white tea. It's made from the same leaves but white tea is picked as a young leaf and is only steamed. It does boost a few more antioxidants than great tea.

A lot of these teas now come infused with other flavours which make them more drinkable.
  • crystalcassarah315
    Options
    Man, I'd have to look at the bottle again, but if it is bad for you then that sucks cause i just bought a case yesterday..
    chimpy123 wrote: »
    I've never had it but are these the ingredients? This is what I found when I googled it..

Water, Citric Acid, Sodium Hexametaphosphate (to Protect Flavor), Green Tea, Natural Flavor, Ascorbic Acid (to protect flavor), Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (preserves freshness), Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium, Calcium Disodium EDTA (to protect flavor), Caramel Color, Yellow 5, Blue 1.

If these are the ingredients I would probably say no, not good for you.

You can make iced green tea - steep green teas bags 2-3 min (any longer and it gets bitter), add a bit of stevia if you like it sweeter, add things like fresh lemon, ginger, etc depending on your taste preferences and then chill the beverage
  • kiaraaharper
    kiaraaharper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't love green tea much. Still I drink it because it helps in the detoxification process. The weight-loss thing is completely a hype. You can't lose weight by just drinking tea. A balanced diet is a must. The flavor depends on how you brew it. You need to be careful that it does not get bitter. About the weight loss thing, I think that you can only lose weight through green tea is when you will go up the mountain and pick it up yourself!