Powdered Peanut Butter

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Stick with the real thing.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I eat real peanut butter in moderation and use PB2 or Just Great Stuff powder in protein shakes.

+1. A pb&j with PB2 is just not worth having! Another way to use the Jif/PB2 would be in Asian dishes.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I wasn't too thrilled with PB2. The taste isn't too bad but the texture just didn't do it for me. I'm just using it with my protein shake till it's gone.
  • VegFit72
    VegFit72 Posts: 35 Member
    I just bought some last night. Thought it might go well in shakes and when you really want pb but not the calories. Haven't tried it yet.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    PB 2 is perfectly fine for me. I was never into peanut butter anyway. Makes a decent Apple dip.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    I use the jif peanut butter powder and i LOVE IT, buttt i only use it for my banana smoothies so I dont know if that helps any.

Same. I just use it to add some peanut flavor and protein, particularly my banana/milk/peanut powder smoothies. I don't expect it to be the same as real peanut butter, because with all of the oil missing it obviously isn't.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I love powdered pb to add into things, like oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies. But if I'm making a sandwich or spreading it on an English muffin, it's got to be real pb. I'd rather be strict with the portion size of real pb for those things, or just make room for it!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I had never even heard of PB2 and googled it. It sounds bloody awful.
    http://foodbabe.com/2012/09/16/the-truth-about-pb2-powdered-peanut-butter/

1) Food babe is an idiot.

2) PB2 isn't as good as real peanut butter (nothing is), but it's not bad.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I only use pb for peanut sauce, but I buy this one because it has no salt or sugar. 8ss1oat2hbli.jpg
  • wrodge1
    wrodge1 Posts: 1 Member
    PB2 with full fat yogurt (plus a small splash of vanilla and stevia) is my go-to for reese's-flavored yum.
  • thatrabidgirl
    thatrabidgirl Posts: 32 Member
    I love PB2... It's obviously not the same as regular peanut butter but I like to put it in my oatmeal and in my baking for an extra protein kick plus that peanut butter taste.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    PB2 is great. I love the new one with chocolate added to it.

• sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    marm1962 wrote: »
    I usually eat Smucker's All Natural Peanut Butter, no sugar in that either, just peanuts and salt. There is another brand that Walmart carries that is just peanuts. Tried the PB2, it's okay, but I'll stick to the real stuff

Try a hanful of raw peanuts ground in a coffee grinder...........peanut butter. No salt, sugar etc......it's delish. If you're used to the sugary kind, it won't taste the same. But after a couple of tastes, you won't like the sugary kind anymore. True Story!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I use PB2 in yogurt, cottage cheese, smoothies, and chocolatey pb2 in ice cream. I haven't had the guts to try it on bread yet though... For that, I use the 100% natural peanut butter, just crushed nuts and no salt or sugar.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Well I learned the real draw to commercial peanut butter is the added sugar. I tried some peanut butter made from just peanuts in a grinder and ya know what? it tastes like a handful of peanuts after you've chewed on 'em awhile.

That PB2 stuff is surprisingly good for reconstituted peanut butter.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    I've not seen PB2, but I did get a jar of PBFit at Sam's. I've only ever used it to add to shakes or cottage cheese. I've not reconstituted it to use as peanut butter. I'd rather just use half a serving of real peanut butter!
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    I prefer the natural unsweetened peanut or almond butters but I do find PB2 handy.

If I have it, it will be in yogurt or just on it's own with a piece of fruit.

I can't have it in oatmeal though, gotta go with the real thing in that case.
  • heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    I also dislike the Jif brand. I'll have to give PB2 a go after I finish off the Jif. Lately I just drink a protein shake of Quest peanut butter flavor, and it seems to really hit the spot. I keep thinking I may try to make it into a peanut butter substitute by using a lot less water.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    I tried mixing PB2 into berry flavored greek yogurt for dessert tonight. It tasted reasonably like PB&J. Still lacks the texture and richness of real PB and it'll never replace a real PB&J sandwich, but it sure made the yogurt taste good.
  • Kittenmommy
    Kittenmommy Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2016
    Jbell0213 wrote: »
    I love peanut butter but 180 for 2 tablespoons, yikes! So I went out and bought some Jif powdered peanut butter. Gag, it was awful. I had to add a tspn of honey for flavor. Do you guys have one you like, our should I just stick with the real thing.

I got a jar of the Peanut Butter & Company brand, and I'm just trying it now on some low cal toast. It tastes pretty delicious, actually! And the whole snack is 118 calories instead of 320 for the same snack made with Jiff Natural peanut butter.

The powdered stuff has a taste that's familiar, but I can't quite place what it is. It tastes like something I've had before, but I'm not sure what.

But whatever, I'm enjoying my PB on toast!

EDIT: I did sprinkle a little sea salt on it after my first few bites.. it needed it.