Do you guys think it's ok to eat.......

Options
13»

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I'll also recycle one of my answers to another post about what I've seen decent evidence for in terms of improving cholesterol:

First, if you're overweight, losing weight will tend to help. It will particularly help with triglyceride levels and LDL levels, which will lower total cholesterol. Extremely low calorie diets have a tendency to make HDL worse, but you shouldn't be doing one without a doctor's supervision, anyway.
    Second, Exercise will help. There is more evidence for cardio in that realm over strength training, but a little bit of anything is better than a whole lot of nothing. It is particularly strong in helping raise HDL.
    Third, eliminated trans fats to any extent possible. In particular, trans fats from hydrogenated oils are clearly and strongly associated with cholesterol. Natural trans fats occurring in some cheeses and meats are mixed.
    Fourth, reduce saturated fats. The long term evidence of saturated fat in cardiovascular disease and long term cholesterol is a bit of a mixed bag, but there is clear evidence in the short term of it raising cholesterol. The biggest effect it has might be that every calorie of saturated fat is less calories from whole grains, mono unsaturated fat, and polyunsaturated fats. If you regularly eat sour cream, a quick substitution is Greek yogurt, replacing saturated fats with protein.
    Fifth, oatmeal, and possibly other unprocessed whole grains with high amounts of soluble fiber. There is evidence that oatmeal binds up bile released by the digestive system, forcing the body to replace it. The key ingredient to make bile is ... cholesterol, so your body has to use it up making new bile.
    Sixth, plant stanols by eating more plants, soy in particular. Stanols are molecules in plants that work similar to cholesterol, so in humans they might trigger receptors that make your body think you have a high amount of cholesterol already, so that it doesn't need to make more.
    Seventh, for low HDL, nuts, seeds, fish, flax, and things that contain omega 3's are noted to have some effects. In some rare instances a lack of some dietary protein might be the culprit.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Be careful of any advice you get here. There are some people that preach certain diets as cure-alls or the only way to go with no real concern for your individual situation. Talk to your doctor and monitor what works for you.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information everyone. I'm gonna have to re read your comments to take everything in and I'm researching other sources too. And thank you for your personal experiences and kudos to you who have really got a handle on this :smile: God Bless!!!!!
  • leosmith66
    leosmith66 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I consider below 100 to 150g of carbs per day, depending on the person, to be low carb. I consider under 50g to be very low carb. In my mind, a higher carb diet is carbs make up 45-50+% of a person's diet.
    I apologize then, because I clearly don't understand what you mean by high fat high carb. I've heard the term thrown around a lot by diabetics who are in the habit of calling anything that's not ketogenic "high carb". What would be the macros for high fat high carb (10/45/45?) and could you please cite it with a study or blog or something?

To reiterate, what I believe is unless you're in ketosis, the more fat you have in your diet, the worse your cholesterol. I don't have a study to cite, but it's explained well in this Ketogenic Diet Video.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Do you guys think it's ok to eat one unhealthy meal a week or every other week if I'm trying to get my cholesterol down and improve my A1C number? I know I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits into my calorie goal for the day and still lose weight as that is how I lost weight before, but this time it's different for me. This time, i'm mostly eating to improve my horrible cholesterol and blood sugars (pre diabetic) and also lose weight. So, I've really turned my diet around and eat pretty healthy now. I started almost a month ago with lots of success, but I need to know if eating an unhealthy meal every now and then will keep my cholesterol from getting better. I'm wanting to eat chips and salsa and a taco tomorrow and am going to try to keep under my calorie goal, but I'm worried I will be screwing up my cholesterol and stuff. I mean, can I still be healthy and eat bad fats from time to time? I guess I'm looking for people who have experience with trying to get healthy on the inside?

I would say cheats are a bad idea. It is probably healthier to embrace a new way of eating and find treats within that woe than sabotage yourself once a week.

I eat a low carb high fat to treat my prediabetes. It works like a charm. Within days of switching my det my BG was normal. I also found that it cut my sugar and carb cavings after about a week, and reduced my appetite. I was able to cut calories and lost about 40 lbs fairly quickly... The weight loss did NOT help with my insulin resistance. My BG is only normal if I eat low carb and moderate protein. As soon as I go off plan my BG goes right back up. Not good. Elevated BG, even at prediabetic levels hurts the body and can even lead to kidney disease. It isn't worth it i my case.

Plus cheats would keep me missing sugar. No thanks. I would at her make myself some sugar free low carb treats like cheese cake, fat bombs, or cookies which won't hurt my health.

A LCHF det can help with cholesterol. Cholesterol is worsened by high carbs unless you are eating very low fat, especially triglycerides. Triglycerides generally go down on a high fat low carb diet. Also, HDL will go up, Lp(a) often drops, and LDL stays the same but switches to the larger fluffy pattern a - all good changes.

If interested in LCHF, I recommend reading Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Bernstein is a T1D who has perfectly managed his diabetes with diet and very little insulin in an era when diabetics were nearing their life expectancy in their 40s. Really good plan. Also, cholesterol Clarity or the Great Cholesterol Myth are good books to read for patients who have doctors who still just look at total cholesterol.

Best wishes.

A whole food plant-based diet will surely reduce you chol. levels. Not eating a burger everyday, using oils, and loading up on dietary fats (sat. fats).

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/25/3/417.short
    "CONCLUSIONS—Total and saturated fat intake were associated with a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, but these associations were not independent of BMI. Frequent consumption of processed meats may increase risk of type 2 diabetes."

You're citing a paper on impact of fats on diabetes, to claim a plant based diets will lower cholesterol? Do you log that post in MFP exercise under stretching?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's okay.