If you are an only child please open-quick question

Options
167891012»

Replies

• courtxoney
    courtxoney Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    when i was younger i always wanted a younger brother.

but now that i'm older, i definitely like being an only child.
  • farm_mamaX9
    Options
    You will never regret having another child. You just might regret not having another.

I've never met an elderly person who regretted having any of their children, but I have met some who regretted not having more.
  • Woodzoo813
    Woodzoo813 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I grew up with just me and my parents.(adopted) I do know many of my sisters and brothers (birth) on both sides of the family. We are not close like we might have been if we were raised together but I love them dearly. It really helps to have someone even if they are years younger or not real close(emotionally) when the parents (adoped and birth) are elderly or pass away. There is someone to connect to. You are not totally alone in the world.
  • Ange03063
    Ange03063 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm an only child and as of right now, my 3-year-old son is an only child. Speaking as an only chid, there are positives and negatives. On the plus side, I think it forced me to become a more independent person. On the down side, holidays were always the worst because not only was I an only child, but the only child in the family until my cousin was born when I was 12. I didn't have anyone to play with. Also, if I was having a difficult time, I didn't have a brother or sister to confide in.

I'm not planning on having my son be an only child. Our family just moved from MA to MD and once we're more settled, then I think we're going to try to have another child. It's tough for me to see him playing by himself when we're at home and wish he had a little playmate.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I loved being an only child.
    I think back now and just think about how much I would hate if I had a sibling.

Make me more outgoing since I had to make my own friends.
    I don't get compared to siblings or anything.
    I find that I'm a pretty strong person and I opened up to my parents more then my friends with siblings did (since they just talked to their sibs, where I talked to my mom about things)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I have always considered myself to be an only child. I have a half sister from my dad's first marriage. She's never lived with me and we have a fairly big age difference. We were never close when we were younger. She was actually quite cruel to me many times and spread lots of lies about me and my mom. I never considered her to be a sister until now and even then... I'm still not sold on it.

So as someone who never grew up without a sibling, I don't think I'd have it any other way. It forced me to be independent, creative and strong. I think it really helped shape me for the adult I am today.
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    Lonely only! I begged for a sibling. People always say they are surprised I am an only child because I share well ;)
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I was perfectly happy being an Only and never wanted a sibling. I enjoyed being spoiled and remember having nightmares that my parents decided to have another baby.

However, my Mom died when I was 21 and I've never felt so lonely. I would give anything to have a sibling to lean on, to have someone know exactly what the pain feels like of losing a parent, which is why I have two kids.
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My mother was an only child, My father has a sister that he hasn't spoken to in over 40 years. I am an only child. Never regretted it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe you should base your decision on what you can actually take care and afford instead of what child #1 may or may not want?

i liked being an only child but there were times i would have liked a sibling. my parents did the smart thing and just got me a dog