If you are an only child please open-quick question

Options

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Not an only child, and please don't be offended, but IME only children have a problem with being entitled. I just got out of a 3 year realtionship with one. a 29 year old man, didn't know how to stand on his own two feet without his mommy and daddy helping him and they "SHOULD DAMN IT!"

I have 1 son, and his sense of entitlement is outstanding. Everything should be done for him while he sits and plays his video games. I don't want another child however, one is enough for me (and even then he's my step-son). If you want another child, go ahead...I'm 8 years younger than my oldest sister, and although she is my "mother" figure, she still takes care of me even though I'm 31 years old. Age difference doesn't really matter, they're both still in the house, and at least you can get a little help when you're trying to take care of the baby.
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I liked being an only child until I got older. I wish I had the connection I see in my sister in laws. I wish I could have someone to lean on now that my parents are retired. And no doubt I'll be wishing for help when big decisions have to be made.
    I have 3 children and seeing them play makes me wish I had had that. But I make friends easily, that might be one of the benefits to being an only. We find and hang on to others better than most. ;)

*Whole lot of wishing up there. LOL!
  • jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I agree with with a couple people above said, it's kinda two sided. I have two half brothers, one that is 9 years older than me and one that is 7 years younger than me. I never became close to either of them due to the age gap in fact, I don't honestly have many memories of being close to them ever. My older brother was out of school by the time I was started middle school, and is now marries with 2 kids. Our most recent conversation was over the phone 6 months ago, " Hello? oh yeah I'm fine, you? Oh okay, here's mom." LOL As for my younger brother... Haven't spoken to him in years. On one hand I loved that I had all the attention to myself, didn't have to share anything and the house was pretty much quiet (I'm an introvert). On the other hand I often wonder how different things would have been with the huge crazy family and siblings to share things with. All in all though, I'm actually really happy that (for the most part) I was an only child. I think that's a huge reason for my creativity and studious side, my mom and I are super close, and I like the person I became today. However, each person/kid are different, just depends on the personality I guess. But really.... If you want another kid, just go for it. ;D I doubt it would do any harm more than good. Good luck either way!
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I, like a couple of others, grew up basically as an only child since my sister is 13 yrs older.
    We didnt really have a suoer close relationship since she moved out and got married when i was like 7..
    so i really dont remember much sibling time. But now.. we couldnt be any closer, she is one of my best friends
    and even though we live a state and a half away.. we talk almost everyday. I guess i got the best of both worlds.

My son was suppose to be an only child... as you can see from my pic, god had other plans. :0)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    When I was around your daughters age, and slightly older, I REALLY wanted a sibling. As I got older though I quite liked being an only child, no sibling to annoy me when I just wanted peace, more time with my parents etc etc I liked doing my own thing as well, so a new baby brother or sister would've ruined that.
    That said, if I was younger when they came along I probably would've adapted, as children do. I don't think anybody (or many people) resent that their parents gave them a sibling, even if they don't always get on.

Also, when I was 8/9 years old, my mum and I lived with my aunt and 2 cousins (when my parents split) for a year. After that I used to stay round my friends house after school everyday for like 2 years (they had 4 kids) so I've had the experience of living with other children for a short while. I wouldn't say all I remembered were bad times, there were many times I'd get annoyed and what to be by myself, but then I enjoyed a lot of times too.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I was an only child and I was bored to death every time it wasn't nice enough outside for the other kids to wanna come out and play. That was a deciding factor in having two kids for me.

Having said that, by the time your new born is old enough to play the older one won't want to bother.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am an only child. I can say that being an only child made me learn how to find ways to amuse myself when I was a child, since I never had a brother or sister to play. The downside of this is that when I became older I didn't see much use for having friends because I could have just as much fun alone as I could with other people. Therefore I didn't really have any desire to meet new people, and it wasn't because I was shy, I just didn't see any reason to. So that made me a little anti-social. Still am today, but I don't recognize that as being a bad thing like most people do, it just makes me different.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I was sort of an "only child". My brother is 10 years older than me, so even now we don't really talk.
    This somewhat for me. I was 9 when my brother was born. So I spent half my life as an only child. He annoyed me for years when he was a young child. But then in his teens, we got closer. He got a totally different childhood than I did. My parents divorced when I was 19. Then my mom remarried and moved to England. He was just a kid. It really changed him, I think. He's a lot more guarded and reserved than he used to be. We're still close. And we're getting that closeness back that we once had. But it's slow.
  • elynnuh
    elynnuh Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm an only child and growing up, I preferred it that way. Now that I'm living on my own and starting my own family, I kind of wish I had a sibling or two. I think of when my parents will be dead and gone and I won't have anyone, my family is very small. I struggle with the decision to have another child so my daughter will have a sibling as well.
  • sassyshook
    sassyshook Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    that is a hard question becuase people who are only children have no clue whats it like to have siblings. I love my brother and would not want to grow up without a sibling. Of course My child is an only child and I have found that he looks to me to be a playmate and doesn't understand sometimes why I have to clean house or something instead of play. I wish I could give him siblings but, I guess thats not whats in store for me because he is now 10 and no siblings for him still. I say have another child.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I would have loved having a sibling. Even now, caring for my elderly mom it would be nice to have someone to help. Everything is up to only me. Surprise 75 birthday party - my planning, my cost. Keeping her entertained - she lives with me. I don't MIND any of that but it's better shared I think. Also, I'm always envious with others talking about stories they share from growing up together. I had to play boardgames by my self!!! lol Pets can only help SO much....When I got married I wanted at least 2 - and that's what I got. And I like that they have each other - to talk to, to be there for, to share things. They are grown and married but they still are close and still help each other thru life issues just by listening and having someone to talk with. Hope that helps!
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind being an only child. I had a lot of friends and cousins that kinda substituted. My mother was an only child, so was I and so is my daughter...... it is kinda a family trait for us! I work very hard to not let her be spoiled and understand value of earning what you have. I make a LOT of time for social interaction and have her in a couple of activites as well.

I will say though, that as my parents are aging, I am growing concern over how to handle them on my own.........
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I was an only child for 13 years. I wanted a sibling until about age 10, and then when my sisters were born, I felt more like they were my children rather than playmates.
  • kibby12
    kibby12 Posts: 32
    Options
    Loved, loved, loved it.

I was, by far, the most imaginative kid in my class. The wacky tv shows my parents raised me on (Get Smart, Dark Shadows -- even the movie IT, which was my stupid mistake to sneak in & watch!) I turned into really fun playground games for our little group. I devoured books when I got bored. Made my own radio show with the tape recorder they bought me.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Quick Poll please!

My fiancee and I are undecided if we want to have another little one, our daughter is months away from turning 6 and keeps asking for a baby sister.

**Question: As an only child, did you prefer it just being you and your parent(s) or would you have liked to have a sibling?**

Disclosure: The results of your opinions are not a binding contract as to whether or not I get knocked up again ;)

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Being an only child sucks. I am one.

Now, don't get me wrong, it was fun at times - undivided attention and whatnot, but what has to be considered and many don't seem to consider, is the other end of the spectrum as well as having siblings to run amok with. (and seriously, as much as my friends gave out about their siblings, I still am jealous of the closeness they all have!!!)

I dread the day when my parents will die. I suppose everyone does, but I won't have anyone to be there with me. Yes, I have my husband and my own 4 kids, but that's not the same. It'll all be up to me. Arrangements and whatnot. I really, truly wish I wasn't an only child.

Being an only child, for me, was and is another kind of loneliness.

just my tuppenceworth. In the end, what matters is what you decide yourselves and you need to make a decision you can be happy with :)
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I was sorta an only child (from 12 on) my brother is 12 years older than me, I loved it

Also, there's no guarantee you'll have another girl will your daughter be just as happy with a brother?
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My best friend is an only child, and I think the very hardest thing for her was when she lost her mother and father in the same year - then she was all alone. She said she really wished she had a sibling to get through that loss with.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My brother and I have a 9 year age gap, we are best friends!
    It was wonderful growing up with someone who would always be there for me, we have supported each other through ups and downs and I even moved in with him during a rough time. There is hardly a week we don't catch up. I think everyone is different and I was lucky, but I am so pleased to have him.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm an only child and I always wished I had siblings. My upbringing was rough and it would have been nice to have allies. Now, my mother is sick and I'm the only one she has. It would be nice to have someone to share this with.

I had 3 kids because I never wanted my child to grow up alone and feel the way I did.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not an only kid but I have an only kid.. I wanted 2 but I was not in a good place in my marriage at the time and it was not meant to be.

My son wishes he had a brother - he's 10 now.

I have friends whose sons are further apart and they currently fight all the time, but as they get older I'm sure they will be closer.

Having an only means we get to do more because we have more money. But we also have to set up 'play dates' etc. My son has lot's of friends and sleep overs etc.