under calorie limit but naughty foods

Options

Replies

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That trainer doesn't know nutrition. Who knows what else they are telling you that is wrong or even dangerous.
    I would be getting a different one.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Perhaps what your trainer was trying to say is that certain foods containing refined sugars are very "moorish", which makes it much harder to eat them in moderation? I know plenty of people who say they can't just have one biscuit but once the packet is open they will scoff it. I guess it depends on your personality. Some people are very good at sticking to limits and others not so much.
  • CollieFit
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I find the sugar debate very interesting. In the UK the National Health Service, based on public health research, now advises in their information to the public to limit sugar to 30g per day (or no more than 5% of your caloric intake) and have funded a huge public health campaign which is currently everywhere.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1139.aspx?categoryid=51

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/07July/Pages/Sugar-intake-should-be-drastically-reduced-says-report.aspx

I understand that most of the concern was born out of our childhood obesity epidemic, where we now see children with T2 diabetes etc.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I find the sugar debate very interesting. In the UK the National Health Service, based on public health research, now advises in their information to the public to limit sugar to 30g per day (or no more than 5% of your caloric intake) and have funded a huge public health campaign which is currently everywhere.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/07July/Pages/Sugar-intake-should-be-drastically-reduced-says-report.aspx

I understand that most of the concern was born out of our childhood obesity epidemic, where we now see children with T2 diabetes etc.

Just to clarify, the article is talking about added sugars:

"Added sugars shouldn't make up more than 5% of the energy (calorie intake) you get from food and drink each day. This is about 30g of sugar a day for those aged 11 and over.

Fruit juice and honey can also count as added sugars, as they're sometimes added to foods to make them sweeter.

Fruit juice is still a healthy choice (one 150ml serving counts towards your 5 A DAY). However, the sugars can damage your teeth, so it's best to drink it with a meal and no more than one serving a day.

This is because sugars are released during the juicing process. Sugars in whole pieces of fruit are less likely to cause tooth decay because they are contained within the food.

You shouldn't cut down on fruit as it's an important part of a healthy, balanced diet."
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

That limit is for added sugars, not sugars in total.

I probably stay within those guidelines, but not intentionally.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I would think that muesli bars would be a great 'go to' snack.. Especially as you can very easily count in the calories.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Yes the research is about added sugars, but that basically means all sugars not naturally contained in fruit or milk.

So the sugar in mueslibars / biscuits / cake etc would be considered "added".
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    If the food is within my calorie limit ... it is not naughty! It's all good. :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yes the research is about added sugars, but that basically means all sugars not naturally contained in fruit or milk.

So the sugar in mueslibars / biscuits / cake etc would be considered "added".

The limit still isn't zero
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It is amazing some of the things I have heard come out of the mouths of trainers. Great people with great intentions, but some of them are very gullible.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is obviously clueless about nutrition and the laws of thermodynamics (no, your body doesn't count calories but it does burn them regardless of where they come from and if you burn more than you eat it has to pull that energy from fat stores, sugar or no sugar. It will only store fat if there is leftover energy, aka you ate more calories than you burned).

Btw, I ate seven Oreos with a glass of milk as a bedtime snack last night and logged 1.2 pounds lost this morning.

• cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My advice is to set a day usually the end of the week and choose thst day to have a cheat meal.Use it as a way to reward yourself for the work you have done for the week.Also idk about anyone on here but my nutritionist tells me to have one cheat meal a week, just to continue to throw my body off. Your body is smart so if u continue to eat the same foods day in and day out, your body will almost become stagnant. Unless your in a huge deficit. So have one high caloric day is not bad because it will keep your metabolism working properly.

No. Just no.

Do not fall into the trap of using food as a reward. Only trouble lies that way.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    From my own personal experience I follow more than just calories. I always make sure Im within my calorie target (I used to stick to 1200 and hardly lost, increased to between 1400 and 1500 and lose a steady 2lb a week now) but I also monitor things like sodium and carbs etc, and I do so only because I understand my body a lot more now than I did (Ive lost 7 stone over a few years) and know my body doesn't cope well with too much sodium and as of summer 2015 Ive found I have a small gluten intolerance so avoid certain things for the sake of my sanity and sleep pattern if nothing else ;)

My way might not work for everyone but works for me. I ate takeaway last week along with a snack pack of chocolate cos I craved it and figured it into my allowance and make sure Ive earned it and still lost 2.1lb this week. I say enjoy the small stuff - after all this is meant to be a lifestyle change not a diet and if you cant see you living without a certain food the rest of your life work it into your routine now and learn to lose alongside it :)
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    lexylondon wrote: »

Yeh thought it was strange. They are vegan though and very strict on what they eat so...

Until I can curb my sugar cravings down to fruit I will continue my occasional muesli bars and avalanche hot chocolate guilt free...

Good for you! :)

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Your trainer is obviously clueless about nutrition and the laws of thermodynamics (no, your body doesn't count calories but it does burn them regardless of where they come from and if you burn more than you eat it has to pull that energy from fat stores, sugar or no sugar. It will only store fat if there is leftover energy, aka you ate more calories than you burned).

Btw, I ate seven Oreos with a glass of milk as a bedtime snack last night and logged 1.2 pounds lost this morning.

If you think eating 7 Oreos with milk caused your weigh loss, I have a bridge to sell you. Sure you can eat some nutritionally less dense foods and still have a health diet and lose weight but eating 7 Oreos did not cause a 1.2 pound weight loss.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Whole milk? Skim milk? Or something in between?

Also what happens if I only eat 6 oreos? Will I lose more weight if I eat 8?

I got your point but somewhere along the way someone will come along...read that you lost weight eating 7 oreos and a glass of milk and think that it is a new way to lose weight.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Your trainer doesn't know how the body works. Or the first rule of physics club.[/quote]

I thought the first rule of physics club was that you couldn't talk about physics club?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Your trainer doesn't know how the body works. Or the first rule of physics club.

I thought the first rule of physics club was that you couldn't talk about physics club?

No, because of Quantum entanglement that was moved to the third rule. The first is Conservation of Energy.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    The trainer is educated to train you, they're not educated in nutrition. As long as you are within your calorie goal you won't gain.

The foods you eat might influence your satiety level though.
    Your trainer clearly has no grasp on nutrition...
  • fitislandgirl
    fitislandgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 110lbs and have maintained it now for a while. I still enjoy my chips and sweets from time to time. It's all about balance! Labeling foods good/bad can set a person up for disordered eating in my opinion. As long as you have your calorie deficit you should be fine. :) There is something to be said for satiety levels though - so if you spent your daily calories on nothing but sugar you run the risk of feeling poorly. Keep in mind you may also hold some water depending on what you ate so don't freak out if you step on the scale and your weight is up. It could just be your body holding water. Enjoy!