Military Diet...Advice/Thoughts

Options
I've heard about the military diet and was wondering if anyone has tried it and what were your results. I went to Google for the plan and it's meal items seems to be the bare minimum, hence the name military diet. I would like to hear opinions even if you haven't tried it. Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's an unsustainable plan that would probably compromise the health of anyone who managed to adhere to it long enough to achieve actual weight loss.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I would assume an actual military diet would be pretty high cal, since the goal is running your *kitten* off, building muscle, and combat training. If this is that, it's for building muscle, not losing. If this is a rip off someone decided to call a military diet because "just because" I know nothing about it.
  • Aeconry
    Aeconry Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi Meg! If you keep to it exactly for the three days you will loose 10lbs. I have done it three times. Obviously it is not a long term diet but, if you are looking for a quick fix it does work.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    MREs are disgusting.
  • Aeconry
    Aeconry Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I will say the first day you will be super tired!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Aeconry wrote: »
    Hi Meg! If you keep to it exactly for the three days you will loose 10lbs. I have done it three times. Obviously it is not a long term diet but, if you are looking for a quick fix it does work.

"Quick fixes" lead to you having to lose the same 10 pounds over and over.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, it's seriously dumb. Pick a reasonable calorie deficit, and do this over and over again. Win win
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The military diet is a joke. Someone's toddler must have made it up and then they posted it to see who was gullible enough to try it - hot dogs, ice cream and saltines? Zero nutritional value - just a very low calorie diet and you're likely to gain everything back once you start eating again. Total nonsense. Just eat at a deficit and get some extra movement in. Stop looking for the quick fix - gotta do the work to get the lasting results.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's not worth it. You'll probably lose a couple pounds but it's unsustainable. Just set a goal for yourself in MFP and log everything. Much more efficient and better long term.
  • ClicquotBubbles
    ClicquotBubbles Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Which is exactly why it should not be recommended; or even suggested a "quick fix".
  • dsdunigan
    dsdunigan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did it last year. I lost 10 lbs. then I gained them back over the weekend. Then I did the diet again the next week and lost the 10 lbs back off. Then I gained them back over the weekend.

It is not healthy. You do lose weight, but as soon as you stop eating the exact foods it tells you to eat, you gain back what you lost.
  • meg1631
    meg1631 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'm looking for a quick fix because what I'm doing now is only had me going back in forth between losing 2-5 pounds. Figured I'd try this for a quick 10 pound loss, then I would be 12-15 pounds down.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    meg1631 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. I'm looking for a quick fix because what I'm doing now is only had me going back in forth between losing 2-5 pounds. Figured I'd try this for a quick 10 pound loss, then I would be 12-15 pounds down.

If you can't sustain a normal 2-5 pound loss what makes you think those 10 pounds of mostly water are going to stay off?
  • stevencloser
    Options
    dsdunigan wrote: »
    I did it last year. I lost 10 lbs. then I gained them back over the weekend. Then I did the diet again the next week and lost the 10 lbs back off. Then I gained them back over the weekend.

It is not healthy. You do lose weight, but as soon as you stop eating the exact foods it tells you to eat, you gain back what you lost.

This. So much this.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    meg1631 wrote: »

I would try to identify the issue that had me gaining and losing the same weight over and over before trying a fad diet. If you take off 10 pounds in water weight, it will come back on when you resume your normal eating.
  • meg1631
    Options
    It's an unsustainable plan that would probably compromise the health of anyone who managed to adhere to it long enough to achieve actual weight loss.

Thanks for your advice
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    MREs are disgusting.

Meals Rejected by the Enemy/Meals Rejected by Everyone. Yeah, that's a good weight loss plan!
  • meg1631
    Options
    It's not worth it. You'll probably lose a couple pounds but it's unsustainable. Just set a goal for yourself in MFP and log everything. Much more efficient and better long term.
    Thanks for your advice
    dsdunigan wrote: »

Oh wow that sounds horrible
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    The military doesn't even do it.
This discussion has been closed.