Creating the habit of food weighing

Options
Okay. I now feel comfortable enough to say that I've created the habit of logging most meals and even just checking in to MFP for about a month consecutive now.

Next step is to have more accurate measurements of my food. I have a food scale at my disposal, so that's a plus. However, I find it challenging to create this habit.

Any pro tips or suggestions on how I can do it?

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I keep my kitchen scale on my counter where I prepare my food. Having it in plain sight can be a helpful reminder.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I keep my kitchen scale on my counter where I prepare my food. Having it in plain sight can be a helpful reminder.

Same. I also have a note pad and pen next to my scale to write down weights as I make food.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I usually will log whatever food I plan to eat in a minute, then I actually weigh it, then I change the log to reflect the accurate weight (as opposed to the guess I just entered) then I eat it. The going back and fixing the wrong thing is my motivation. I'm a stickler for accuracy and I can't even look at the entry while it's incorrect without the burning desire to fix it. My food scale lives on my counter. I don't think it's ever seen the inside of a cabinet.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Same. I also have a note pad and pen next to my scale to write down weights as I make food.

That sounds helpful.

I was also thinking of zero-ing out my scale with my lunch tupperware on it, then magic markering the added weights for each thing that goes into it? (ie - broccoli, chicken, rice)

Another note, I have read that it's best to weigh your meat raw. How do you manage to do this if you're bulk meal prepping? I get all my chicken breasts mixed up like a mom with triplets!
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've found you only have to do it a few times and you start to know what 4 ounces of chicken looks like and what a cup of veggies looks like. This is helpful for eating out, I immediately cut my portions down to appropriate sizes and then pack up the rest as leftovers. I use the scale for double checking myself occasionally, especially if I hit a plateau, sometimes it helps push me through.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »

That sounds helpful.

I was also thinking of zero-ing out my scale with my lunch tupperware on it, then magic markering the added weights for each thing that goes into it? (ie - broccoli, chicken, rice)

Another note, I have read that it's best to weigh your meat raw. How do you manage to do this if you're bulk meal prepping? I get all my chicken breasts mixed up like a mom with triplets!

Weighing it cooked shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure that the entry that you use reflects that. That's where people tend to get in trouble.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My suggestion is make note about what keeps you from using it and work on removing those obstacles. I know a lot of people like leaving it out to remind themselves, but for me the opposite is true. I made space in a drawer for my scale and enjoy taking it out every time I'm prepping a meal. It feels like a ritual of taking care of myself.

Two problems I used to have were that my old scale was always shutting off quickly because it was trying to conserve its battery (fine, but it was a pain) and also I like to be able to use any plate in my kitchen on the scale and sometimes if you use a large bowl or plate you can't see the numbers on the scale so I researched and found a scale that fixed both those problems. It was well worth the money given how much more I enjoy using my new Oxo scale, which has a pull-out readout. (Although after I'd ordered it someone on the forums suggested you could just put a small bowl on the scale and then put your plate on top of that to raise the plate and allow you to see the numbers regardless of which plate you use so that's a good fix, too!)

I hardly even think about it now and it has become habit. Something that helped in the beginning to make it a habit was that I would tell myself I was weighing to make sure I was getting my full portion of something. If you eyeball something you could just possibly be cheating yourself. ( I know that's not normally the case, but it helped motivate my use of the scale!)

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

Any pro tips or suggestions on how I can do it?

just do it.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    All good ideas so far. I will add using the tare feature helps a lot. Took me sadly longer then I care to admit to use it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Mine is always on the counter, ready to be used. Its a little Starfrit scale, inexpensive, from Canadain Tire. I too wondered about weighing on big plates but figured out a good technique, which has been mentioned above!
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @ncfitbit - I learned something today. I often do what you do, and put a big plate on the scale to weigh things like chicken. But it covers up the numbers, and I have to look all around, shift the plate a bit to see the numbers. Small bowl under plate is absolute genius!!!
  • TaraTall
    Options
    So helpful (most) of you!

I think keeping it out with a notepad will be the best way to start. I've at least already created half the process habit now it's just finishing the job.

Thanks!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I have one at home and one at work.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

That sounds helpful.

You should weigh your food every time. Use the tare function to subtract the weight of the dish. I weigh my meat cooked and I used a food entry that reflects that the meat has been cooked. The final weight of meat can differ based on the amount of fat and water in it.

A $20 digital scale has a tare function and keeps showing the result after the dish is removed.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Mine's out all the time as I weigh my pets' food too, and I log on my phone as I'm weighing (my food, not the pets!). It really doesn't matter how you do it though, and doesn't have to be complicated.
  • TaraTall
    Options
    Mine's out all the time as I weigh my pets' food too, and I log on my phone as I'm weighing (my food, not the pets!). It really doesn't matter how you do it though, and doesn't have to be complicated.

LOL, thanks for the clarification! ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I actually log the weight I want first, then put that amount into whatever I'm making. I already know how many grams of tomato, mushroom, meat, veg I prefer. So I prelog it all, then when I go to cook I just cut up that amount and keep using the tare button.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i also got a scale to keep at work, so i can weigh whatever i randomly pick up at target/walmart on my lunch breaks so i cant cheat. groupon always has them on sale it seems
  • yreka20
    yreka20 Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    For me, it was seeing more success in weighing.. I went through the usual "Im logging, why am I not losing", of course I was estimating and waaaaay off.. "Serving" meant what 'I' consider is a serving. I had NO IDEA what 6oz of chicken looked like, or 220g of cheerios ( to me 600g was a serving).

Not quite to the point where I am comfortable 'eyeballing' yet, but I can see working again (as mentioned above) once I re-learn portions.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Do you want to reach your goals? If you don't weigh your food you won't be able to accurately track progress and make adjustments.

68892776.png