Calorie intake...I know, I know!

13»

Replies

• joybenyah
    joybenyah Posts: 20 Member
    @jprewitt1, my goal is 40 pounds, and no 5Ks for me, at least not running it the whole time! LOL! ☺️
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Prior to using MFP, I understood that my breakfast was generous and my evening after work intake was undisciplined and excessive. Since I began using MFP a couple of weeks ago I've been able to sharply reduce my breakfast and get control of my evenings after work. Now, after breakfast and lunch from the junk food in the kitchen at my workplace, I get home having consumed about 750 calories including about half my daily sodium budget. Once I'm home, I have about 4 hours before bedtime and it's very easy to intake no more than 700 calories and be sated. During the last week, that included a serving of Girl Scout cookies. In the 14 days I've been using MFP, I've lost an average of 1/2 lb per day. My calorie target from MFP is 2360 per day. I'm usually 1000 short of that.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    See, the reason people are asking for your current weight and height is because there is a possibility that you may have picked the wrong goal entry (gain a pound instead of lose a pound for example)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    A desk job is classed as sedentary. If you've told MFP that you're active it will give you more calories than sedentary.
    • Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    • Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    • Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    • Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    joybenyah wrote: »
    @jprewitt1, my goal is 40 pounds, and no 5Ks for me, at least not running it the whole time! LOL! ☺️

I don't understand why you won't answer the questions you have been asked. Unless you are over 300 pounds now that calorie goal is probably too high but no way to know without real numbers.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    @arditarose, without including the gym, I would consider myself active with the exception of my desk job, but I get up and move.

Even "getting up and moving" isn't going to be enough to put most people with a desk job into the "active" category. That's for people who are on their feet for their entire working day, I believe. You may want to adjust your activity level -- this will result in a lower calorie goal, but also probably a more accurate one.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    @arditarose, without including the gym, I would consider myself active with the exception of my desk job, but I get up and move.

Even "getting up and moving" isn't going to be enough to put most people with a desk job into the "active" category. That's for people who are on their feet for their entire working day, I believe. You may want to adjust your activity level -- this will result in a lower calorie goal, but also probably a more accurate one.

Yeah...I mean...I work with little children, and live in NYC/walk everywhere, and I'm still the "lightly active".
  • joybenyah
    @shadow2soul and @diannethegeek:

5'5 @ 214lbs.
    I have not been using scale, but will upon recommendations
    I cook with butter and olive oil (just discovered how to add my recipes today, so I will start including those measurements)
    Sometimes I use the "generic" when it matches, like Chobani but I create my entries for the most part.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Oh I apologize for not reading the whole thread so I thought maybe she didn't enter her goal correctly. Yes. I totally agree with the above post. You may need to re-evaluate your activity.
  • joybenyah
    Thank you @CurlyCockney , that clarifies a lot.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    You're welcome!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    I have to walk 16000 steps in addition to an hour in the gym strength training to even get to a TDEE of 2,200 a day. I can not relate to the problem of not being able to eat enough to reach my minimum.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member

5'5 @ 214lbs.
    I cook with butter and olive oil (just discovered how to add my recipes today, so I will start including those measurements)
    Sometimes I use the "generic" when it matches, like Chobani but I create my entries for the most part.

There is no way to accurately know how much you're consuming without weighing. Measuring should only be for liquid. Try it and you'll be very surprised.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member

5'5 @ 214lbs.

IMHO, I think you have set your activity level too high, for MFP to give you a minimum of 2200 calories at your height and weight. Unless you are on your feet 8 hours a day and or regularly lifting and carrying heavy things, you could very easily drop to 1600-2000 a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    If you're having a hard time eating 2200 calories, how did you end up in a position where you felt you needed to lose weight? One does not gain weight eating 1500-2000 calories per day.

That's not true at all. My maintenance is 1800 cals and I'm not even down to goal weight yet. I can definitely gain weight eating 2,000 cals a day. (Substantially, if given enough time)

OP, it's different for everyone, which is why people are asking for stats. If you're taller and/or heavier, you should definitely keep that intake high. If you're shorter and/or lighter, you might need to drop it a little.

I think the point is that most people who've come to the point of needing to lose weight were eating a lot more calories than they are now...so why all of a sudden are they unable to eat?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

5'5 @ 214lbs.

IMHO, I think you have set your activity level too high, for MFP to give you a minimum of 2200 calories at your height and weight. Unless you are on your feet 8 hours a day and or regularly lifting and carrying heavy things, you could very easily drop to 1600-2000 a day.

+1.

OP, my advice would be change your activity level to lightly active and start using a food scale as often as possible. This will lower your calories and improve your logging accuracy. Then log any additional exercise and eat back half those calories. Then give it 4-6 weeks and see what happens. Good luck!
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Also, I find I can manage and not feel hungry on fairly low calories - some days (very occasional) I only eat 1000 cals total and don't feel hungry. But then there is life. After several weeks of strict eating, I was longing for a treat here and there. Plus, social situations often involve food. After 4 weeks, I have upped my cals by 200-250 a day. Yes I could manage on my prior calories - which led me to lose about 1.5lbs a week on avg. BUT - it was strict and once I threw in social situations, it got frustrating. I am much happier now that I have upped my calories.

It will take me a bit longer to lose weight, but I don't have to see red numbers and feel like a failure, I can still eat out, go to my friends' homes for food without obsessing over every bite (or eating before I go lol), etc. It's been much more relaxing since I upped the numbers.

Plus, I figure it will make maintenance easier since it will not be such a drastic difference in calories. I have seen way too many people pack the pounds back on after coming off a super restrictive diet.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're having a hard time eating 2200 calories, how did you end up in a position where you felt you needed to lose weight? One does not gain weight eating 1500-2000 calories per day.

That's not true at all. My maintenance is 1800 cals and I'm not even down to goal weight yet. I can definitely gain weight eating 2,000 cals a day. (Substantially, if given enough time)

OP, it's different for everyone, which is why people are asking for stats. If you're taller and/or heavier, you should definitely keep that intake high. If you're shorter and/or lighter, you might need to drop it a little.

I think the point is that most people who've come to the point of needing to lose weight were eating a lot more calories than they are now...so why all of a sudden are they unable to eat?

They aren't unable to eat all of a sudden. If they've changed from lots of high calorie foods like fast food (which can be fine but is usually high calorie) to home cooked meals or more low cal food then they can still eat the same volume but drop down in calories.