Do at home workouts with no equipment really work?

Options
Im trying to lose weight but, my schedule is too busy for the gym! any workout suggestion?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Walk walk walk walk walk walk walk. Ten minutes 3X per day is 30 minutes-- and surely you can fit THAT in somewhere in your day!
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    They do if you do them. I have a bunch of video Jillian, and lots of beachbody ones, also free online fitnessblender.com I have kept my weight off doing this and gotten leaner. I have worked out at home for years now.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    yes...I lost over 90 pounds and never stepped foot in a gym. All workouts at home or running outside.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Check out "You Are Your Own Gym", you can attain a high level of fitness with body weight exercises......weight loss happens in the kitchen, you can lose weight with no exercise whatsoever.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, for retaining muscle while losing weight, body weight exercises are great. For getting in shape and looking good they are great too. just not so much for bodybuilding or huge strength gains.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I can 20+ pull ups, push ups with my feet vertical barely touching a wall and one legged full squats none of which I need a gym for. I do agree weight loss will come from a calorie deficit
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes they are more effective than most people believe. It does require a bit of self motivation to work out instead of sit on the couch
  • leslieember
    leslieember Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do them when I can't make it to the gym.

YouTube HIIT workouts. They'll get you going!
  • hlcavalieri
    hlcavalieri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes! I don't go to the gym and I am down just under 30 lbs so far. When it's nice enough out i walk in the am and on my breaks. At home I have a HUGE collection of work out videos, and my favorite is looking up Kettle bell work outs online and doing that! Good luck to you!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Yes. LOVE my home workouts. With my work/kid schedule I can make it to the gym often. It takes self discipline but there are plenty of great ways to do it at home
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Check out the book Body By You: You Are Your Own Gym.
  • Goatsmith
    Goatsmith Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Home workouts with no equipment absolutely work, although I fid myself getting bored of them if I'm doing the same thing every couple days (which is why I now have equipment!).

That said:
    Walk. Or if you don't have time for walking, cut it in half with jogging.
    Pushups. Decline pushups are fun too, when you can do them!
    Dips (use a chair or something else, your bed works)
    Situps
    Get a set of dumbbells or lacking that, use any relevant-weighted object (I was, and am, very fond of Arizona tea gallon jugs filled with water and/or sand for improvised kettlebells).

I've found that the trick to not getting bored of home workouts is constant variation. Look up and try new movements or ways to do old ones, find ways to add weight or challenge, do eccentrics (look them up) to change up a movement some more.
  • TeamScorpioRI
    TeamScorpioRI Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Insanity MAX:30 will help shed that weight quickly. No equipment or gym needed. Bonus points for including a modifier track for beginners and those of us with bad knees (something the original Insanity didn't do). I also use FitnesBlender.com as well. Its a great free website with tons of searchable workout videos. You can sort the videos by workout type, target body part, length, and equipment. Only have 20 minutes, but want to get in an upper body kettlebell workout in? You can search it. They have everything from simple 10 minute workouts to killer 90 minute marathons (those SUCK!!). Worth a look.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Body weight stuff and other home workouts can be great for your fitness...just keep in mind that where weight loss is concerned, it's really all about how much you're eating. You can do all of the exercise in the world and if you're eating too much, you won't lose a single pound.
  • lauraebenavides
    lauraebenavides Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    spickard34 wrote: »
    They do if you do them. I have a bunch of video Jillian, and lots of beachbody ones, also free online fitnessblender.com I have kept my weight off doing this and gotten leaner. I have worked out at home for years now.

This is how I've been getting in shape also:). I try to workout between 30 to 60 minutes a day. I have a very be schedule, so my fitness commitment is in the morning before anything else.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My favorite exercise only requires a good pair of running sneakers.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    well, if by works you mean "helps you lose weight", you can walk up and down stairs to do that as it comes down to calories in vs calories out.

If you mean to build strength or increase endurance, then at home with no equipment still works, but has its limitations. You probably won't run a marathon by doing DVDs, and you probably won't squat 2x your weight doing pistol squats. But, you will increase endurance and strength doing both of those things.
  • lovefitness09
    lovefitness09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all of you! I will defiently try them all and see which one works best for me! :blush:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Im trying to lose weight but, my schedule is too busy for the gym! any workout suggestion?

Losing weight is done by eating in a calorie deficit. Not by specifically working out.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you are trying to lose weight, that is all about what you eat.