Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Carnivore to vegetarian transition & vice-versa

what's was your experience transition from a meat eating diet into a vegetarian/ vegan based diet and vice versa? Not talking weight loss experience, but more so internal feelings, health, energy levels, thoughts, mood. And more of the people who went from a healthy meat included diet towards a vegetarian based diet. I say this, cause if you eat like crap and transition to be vegetarian with a goal to be healthy, your obviously going to feel better even if their is meat included. So my point is, how did you feel transitioning from a nutrient rich omnivore diet to a nutrient rich vegetarian diet and vice versa! I'm just curious

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Well I have a friend who decided he wants to be vegan from one day to the next.. The idiot had to go to a doctor for internal bleeding

Literally has to force feed himself in order to reach his daily macros.

I'm not a fan of vegans, just because the types of people they all seem to prove they are.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    I didn't eat meat for a while until my teeth grew in. Then I ate all the meats and now oxen come to me for health tips. One day I didn't eat meat, and I shrunk 5 inches and my beard fell out. True story
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Vegan? Been there, done that, ain't going back! ;)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    For me it is more about the reduction of fat when I eat less meat (there have been many periods where I don't eat meat...or at most fish once a week). Without the fat, I find that I am more hungry at night and therefore don't sleep and grumpier.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Snow3y wrote: »
    Well I have a friend who decided he wants to be vegan from one day to the next.. The idiot had to go to a doctor for internal bleeding

I'm not a fan of vegans, just because the types of people they all seem to prove they are.

Wtf, that doesn't sound like a diet related issue. How do you get internal bleeding from going vegan?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Melmo1988 wrote: »

Wtf, that doesn't sound like a diet related issue. How do you get internal bleeding from going vegan?

Lol I was wondering the same thing. The veggies stabbed him maybe...;p
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    I've been vegan for over a decade. My transition wasn't hard, but it took some education to ensure proper nutrition. I can easily meet macros (2800kcal 40/30/30) on a reasonable amount of food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I've been vegan for about ten years. Transitioned from non-vegan to vegan pretty much overnight. My health, energy, and mood all felt about the same. The only thing that changed was that I emotionally felt better transitioning my actions towards animals to be in keeping with my ethics. "Vegan for Life" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina is a great (science-based) book on vegan nutrition. I have found meeting my goals very simple as a vegan, but for those who are curious or having issues, I highly recommend it.

For those who think all vegans are the same type of person, I would say that there are all types of vegans -- just as there are all types of non-vegans. I suggest that you get to know someone as a person before you write them off. You may like or dislike me, but it has little to do with my veganism. I have many of the same friends I had before I went vegan. It didn't change my personality.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I am pretty close to being a carnivore now. I find the fewer plants i eat the better I feel although my biggest improvement came when I stopped eating grasses (their grains).

I do have some autoimmune issues that act up with more carbs, and I was prediabetic so eating a low carb high fat diet based on mainly animal products helps me be and feel much healthier. It won't be the same for everyone.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Batman villians?

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member

Batman villians?

Hey, I resemble that remark. ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    A lot of these responses are dumb and not helpful.

Would you walk up to a group of people having a conversation IRL and say something like that? Seems kinda hostile.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I've never been a carnivore nor a vegan. But, I do go through periods where I eat no animal flesh, but still consume modest amounts of dairy and eggs. Then when I feel like some fish or a hamburger or whatever, I eat it. And I may do that daily for quite a while. Or not. I notice no difference.

However, although my preferences change, my nutrition profile remains relatively similar. I still eat gobs of plants, meet my macros and nail the fiber, and ensure my micronutrients are well balanced, regardless of whether I'm consuming meat or not.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

How many other vegans do you know IRL? I know far more non-annoying ones than annoying ones. In fact, I don't know any annoying ones well and for the ones that annoy me it's probably more about me than them.