Two a Days?

Options
I've started working out twice a day mostly to help with my anxiety and to lose a little weight before graduation. Has anyone else done this? Do you see results faster? I'm not necessarily concerned about the AMOUNT of weight I lose. I would rather be SMALLER and have more muscle tone. I do cardio for thirty minute intervals in the morning and in the evening. Any thoughts? I am doing cardio only right now because that's how I have previously slimmed down very quickly. When should I implement some strength training? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kdogni
    kdogni Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Before I got hit with some bad circumstances I broke my programme into 2 a day sessions, about 3 times a week. It did give me good results.
    You just need the time and motivation
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Working out twice a day will speed up weight loss for sure depending on what you eat.
    For sure add strength training after your cardio!
    Will make u look more toned!
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I work out atwice a day, for the same reason mostly (anxiety).

I do cardio in morning and weights in evening. In my opinion, weight training is just as good if not better for anxiety than cardio.
  • morganinspires
    morganinspires Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How much strength training would be adequate? I go running so I'm not too concerned about my lower body but other areas such as much arms and stomach would need work. Should I do it after my cardio or replace one of my two 30 minute sessions for toning?
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    How much strength training would be adequate? I go running so I'm not too concerned about my lower body but other areas such as much arms and stomach would need work. Should I do it after my cardio or replace one of my two 30 minute sessions for toning?

I guess we do it for different things, you're looking to tone so doing weights with cardio isn't such a problem for you. Do it with your normal routine but make sure you eat adequate protein.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Weight traing should come first and be the priority. Cardio can be done if time permits afterwards.
  • skinnylittlekenzwenz
    Options
    Yes I did this with cardio and lost a lot of weight quickly.
  • morganinspires
    Options
    Perfect. I would like to be a couple sizes down before May. If I lose more even better! Thanks!
  • morganinspires
    Options
    Bump.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Obviously more cardio/training won't lead to greater weight loss. What you eat will do that. You could train for 3 hours in the morning and 3 in the evening and still easily not lose weight if you're eating a bunch of food.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with two a days, and in my running days I rountinely would run twice a day. Usually an easier morning run of 3-5 miles, and then a longer evening run with faster stuff/repeats that would be 6-10 miles. As a cyclist I don't do that as much because one longer ride is usually more beneficial.

If the main goal is aesthetics, having some strength training in the routine is usually good. Muscle "tone" is just a combination of having muscle and being lean enough to see it. Cardio won't do anything to build muscle. Strength training will, though in a deficit you're not likely to gain much muscle, but doing strength training will generally help you retain the muscle you do have, meaning that more of your weight loss is fat loss rather than muscle loss.
  • chimpy123
    chimpy123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I run and cycle and also do weights - I can tell you that strength training your legs is fine, even beneficial. Just don't over do it and stretch. I do squats, lunges, wall sits and all have helped to make the muscles in my legs stronger and I definitely notice a difference when I run and also a difference in the muscle tone when I'm at rest
  • morganinspires
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »
    Obviously more cardio/training won't lead to greater weight loss. What you eat will do that. You could train for 3 hours in the morning and 3 in the evening and still easily not lose weight if you're eating a bunch of food.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with two a days, and in my running days I rountinely would run twice a day. Usually an easier morning run of 3-5 miles, and then a longer evening run with faster stuff/repeats that would be 6-10 miles. As a cyclist I don't do that as much because one longer ride is usually more beneficial.

If the main goal is aesthetics, having some strength training in the routine is usually good. Muscle "tone" is just a combination of having muscle and being lean enough to see it. Cardio won't do anything to build muscle. Strength training will, though in a deficit you're not likely to gain much muscle, but doing strength training will generally help you retain the muscle you do have, meaning that more of your weight loss is fat loss rather than muscle loss.

So, in summary you're saying to add strength training to my routine. My intake is fine, I've cut back significantly and have increased my protein.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Even if you run- you still need to lift legs- it will help your running.

honestly doing 2 a days is very difficult on the body and totally unnecessary. I would look to some other form of anxiety release (like running/yoga or lifting/yoga combos). Sure it happens but I wouldn't' make it a habit.
  • morganinspires
    Options
    At this point in the game, I really need to do two a days for managing my anxiety. I'm involved in a high stress, high pressure profession. I found this is the best way to cope temporarily. I can try to switch one work out session to some strength training. That seems to be the consensus.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Do fasted (before you eat any calories - coffee is fine) cardio first thing in the morning for best results! Then strength training after you've had some food during the day. That's how you maximize your efforts
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 2/day for about 2 months and for the last 3 days have been burnt out! Listen to your body. I didn't listen to my trainer or friends when they warned me about burnout and now here I am - sitting at a coffee shop - looking into the gym, trying to find motivation to go in.

Be careful.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do two a days you're going to need to make sure you're getting enough sleep and enough food, or like others have said, you'll burn out.

When I was active duty I would lift in the morning and then run in the afternoon. I felt like this helped my recovery from lifting.
  • StencilChild
    StencilChild Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Variety is the key of life...and success. Cardio in the AM, weights/circuit training later on. As mentioned, don't skip legs. More muscle = higher oxygen flow to the muscles = longer/harder you can run. Mix in some core work, then arms, and you'll have a great workout all week, on top of using that stress and anxiety to help push you!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    At this point in the game, I really need to do two a days for managing my anxiety. I'm involved in a high stress, high pressure profession. I found this is the best way to cope temporarily. I can try to switch one work out session to some strength training. That seems to be the consensus.

While the effect of exercise having a positive impact to help with anxiety is well documented, there is a fine line here about imposed stresses on the body. Exercise is a stress and while it may help with the anxiety, coupled with the stressful nature of you profession it could be taking a toll physically on you. Hopefully this is just an interim fix to a healthier long term solution. In the mean time, get a lot of sleep and sufficient nutrient intake.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I think two a days are fine, if you're getting adequate nutrition and not feeling burnt out. I'd definitely add some strength in there, possibly making that your morning three days a week, with an established beginner plan, then continue cardio in the evenings. Tww days I week I lift in the mornings and take a spinning class in the evenings, and I love it. You might also really like yoga, and could swap that for one or two cardio sessions as well.