Vaseline on hrm

Options
Will Vaseline work in place of electrode gel on my hrm?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would just use a little water or saliva.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The electrode gel is conductive, vaseline has no water in it and isn't conductive, so no, vaseline isn't going to do the job. My monitor has a pad you dampen under the faucet, main advantage of a gel is that it doesn't evaporate so quickly. Here's info I found on creating your own electrode gel:

http://www.bioshare.info/en/diygel
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    The electrode gel is conductive, vaseline has no water in it and isn't conductive, so no, vaseline isn't going to do the job. My monitor has a pad you dampen under the faucet, main advantage of a gel is that it doesn't evaporate so quickly. Here's info I found on creating your own electrode gel:

http://www.bioshare.info/en/diygel

I wasn't sure if Vaseline was conductive. Thanks for sharing the website. Aloe gel and salt it is! I'll get some of the real stuff eventually, but no budget for extras at the moment.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    You know your HRM doesn't need it, right? At least I've never heard of one that does. Just trying to save you a buck if money's tight. I've used one for 12 years, it works fine on sweat or just water to wet it at first. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Saliva or water work fine........I've never used electrode gel and never had a problem with the chest strap.
  • shinycrazy
    Options
    I'm using water currently, but find it can dry out, like it did today in the middle of my workout (damn moisture wicking bra). Looking for something that lasts. I put it on at home and drove to the park, for example, and it was dried out before I got started.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I use water soluble "personal lubricant jelly" i.e. generic K-Y Jelly.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I got a 2.5 ounce tube of Buh-Bump HRM Electrode Cream for $8. This one tube has lasted almost a year now and I use it 4 to 5 times a week. I highly recommend it.
  • shinycrazy
    Options
    I use water soluble "personal lubricant jelly" i.e. generic K-Y Jelly.

I thought that might work too. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    I'm using water currently, but find it can dry out, like it did today in the middle of my workout (damn moisture wicking bra). Looking for something that lasts. I put it on at home and drove to the park, for example, and it was dried out before I got started.
    How does your bra wick the sweat out from between your strap and your skin? Or do you wear the strap over your bra band? I'm not even much of a sweat-er but a minute of cardio and my Polar conducts fine.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Petroleum based products probably aren't good for the electrodes. I use Spectra 360. Two huge tubes were $10 on Amazon. A little goes a long way.

I have also heard that Aloe Vera gel works well too. They sell a travel size tube at Target for $1.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the strap should be under your bra, not on top of it
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Saliva or water work fine........I've never used electrode gel and never had a problem with the chest strap.

Same here.
  • shinycrazy
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    the strap should be under your bra, not on top of it

It's under it on my skin. I'm not an idiot.
  • shinycrazy
    Options
    How does your bra wick the sweat out from between your strap and your skin? Or do you wear the strap over your bra band? I'm not even much of a sweat-er but a minute of cardio and my Polar conducts fine.

Bra goes over the strap. Glad water/sweat works for you. I'm looking for alternatives, so please keep to that subject.
  • shinycrazy
    Options

Same here.

Good for you.
  • shinycrazy
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »

Petroleum based products probably aren't good for the electrodes. I use Spectra 360. Two huge tubes were $10 on Amazon. A little goes a long way.

I have also heard that Aloe Vera gel works well too. They sell a travel size tube at Target for $1.

Thanks for the tips!
  • shinycrazy
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I got a 2.5 ounce tube of Buh-Bump HRM Electrode Cream for $8. This one tube has lasted almost a year now and I use it 4 to 5 times a week. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Wow, I've been using a HRM for over 5 years, different models and I've NEVER had to use anything more than water or saliva. Your sweat will keep it mosturized.. lol.
  • WalkingAlong
    edited February 2016
    Options

Bra goes over the strap. Glad water/sweat works for you. I'm looking for alternatives, so please keep to that subject.

Sorry, I was trying to help. Most HRMs don't need gel. Yours might just need washed or something. Maybe a new strap battery. Good luck.