How to not get derailed by stress

Options
I think that stress can be s huge factor. How does it affect you and how do you handle it and prevent it from derailing you. Thanks

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio.

If I'm calm enough for yoga, for example, after cardio, then yoga.

Deep breathing.

Mantras.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Another vote for this.

It's the first thing I do when I wake up and I go at it hard 3-4 days a week. You're not going to want to sabotage all the work you did early in the day by overeating later on; it'll keep you in check.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options

If I'm calm enough for yoga, for example, after cardio, then yoga.

Deep breathing.

Mantras.

Love cardio.
  • s_hawkins01
    s_hawkins01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No idea! This is a big problem of mine! So following this thread!!
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Planning.

Most stress is predictable (what days of the week are busiest for you, what times are you tired or overwhelmed, what scenarios create temptation to go off-plan for your). Think ahead and don't plan for the perfect scenario, the one where you're cool, collected, and satisfied with just a salad during a time of day you normally eat all the cookies in the breakroom- plan something that you like enough to be a treat and an energy boost without going over your calorie allotment. Cook and meal prep in advance, write down or even pre-log what you intend to eat. Read up on mindfulness and start taking a minute to breathe, have a glass of water, and consider before you reach for a snack when stressed.

My work day is INCREDIBLY stressful and I've noticed a tendency to, when I really need a break, make the excuse that I'm hungry and have to go eat something quickly. I'll then sometimes have a second snack or helping to justify to myself sitting there another five minutes to collect myself. Giving myself permission to just sit there calmly for a minute without the "excuse" of a snack was enough to cut my calories considerably every day. Likewise breakfast on work days- I have to get up very early and I found I was reaching for second helpings to justify another minute of sitting at the breakfast table before I started getting dressed. Realizing that that's irrational, that I can sit there another few minutes if I want to, and also that prepping my lunch and work clothes before bed made the mornings less stressful and overwhelming, helped me break the habit of eating more just to buy myself some alone time.

Allowing yourself time to destress that isn't centered around food is a good idea.

Being realistic about what you're really like, what you crave and when, and what you need to be happy, as you plan your meals and activities will go a long way towards creating a sustainable plan. It doesn't have to be 1200 calories of salad every day, and in fact it *shouldn't* be if you know you historically haven't been able to maintain that way of eating.

You know the saying, "The perfect is the enemy of the good?" Don't aim for perfect every time, and you're less likely to end up missing the good altogether when things get challenging.
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Exercise/long walks in the neighborhood (I live in Mississippi so the winter has been kind) have helped me immensely. My fiancé has tried to convince me to start meditating, but I am the type of person who has a hard time sitting still and shutting off my mind. Just TRYING to meditate makes me stressed out. I've found that taking walks around my neighborhood makes me feel like I'm doing something --walking--, but allows me to 'meditate' or zone out to let my mind rest. This has really, really helped with all of the stress by providing a balance between feeling like I've kept busy/not wasted time but also allowed my mind to rest.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    A little selfishness is helping me. I have seen the association of stress and weight gain so clearly that I am emboldened to say no when I need to.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Exercise/long walks in the neighborhood (I live in Mississippi so the winter has been kind) have helped me immensely. My fiancé has tried to convince me to start meditating, but I am the type of person who has a hard time sitting still and shutting off my mind. Just TRYING to meditate makes me stressed out. I've found that taking walks around my neighborhood makes me feel like I'm doing something --walking--, but allows me to 'meditate' or zone out to let my mind rest. This has really, really helped with all of the stress by providing a balance between feeling like I've kept busy/not wasted time but also allowed my mind to rest.

That's not unusual, and is thought to be the reason why yoga was invented - to help shut off the mind in preparation for meditation :)

Seated meditation will make me calmer, but I have to be calm enough to begin it. If I were stressed today, I would first exhaust myself from shoveling, then do yoga, and only afterwards attempt seated meditation.

I find shoveling meditative, especially when the snow is coming down so hard that there is no traffic and it's very quiet.

I also find pruning meditative.
  • youngpip
    youngpip Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In terms of keeping to my weight loss goal, I find having meals already planned in helps stop me thinking "sod it I'll have a pizza" when stressed. It's also one less thing to worry about.

In terms of general stress reduction I'm not very good at that! But something that makes me laugh will always help.
  • LittleAppleAndBean
    Options
    I think that stress can be s huge factor. How does it affect you and how do you handle it and prevent it from derailing you. Thanks

I have a huge amount of stress in my life. twin babies, college, health, bills, life etc lol. I deal with it by "outlets" After I put my twins down for the night about 6:40-7:00 pm I will exercise. Then I will calm myself by either crocheting, coloring in adult coloring books, painting, or reading for pleasure. In the morning after I wake up the twins and get them ready on days where I don't have school we will pack up in the stroller and take a walk while I get my first cup of coffee down. On school days we walk after class. The easiest way to deal with stress is to find a creative and calming outlet. I love swimming and eventually do that on school days if the babysitter will allow an extra hour. She is wonderful. Find something that makes you happy and do it at least 30 minutes a day. That's about all I get. Get more time in if you can depending on how busy your life is.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing.
    It helps with stress, frustration, anxiety and depression. :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I find another outlet for my stress. I'll exercise, take my dogs for a walk, clean my house, or crochet (this helps with boredom too). I still have moments when I slip but knowing that I am a stress eater helps me recognize it and put a stop to it before it gets out of control.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I find another outlet for my stress. I'll exercise, take my dogs for a walk, clean my house, or crochet (this helps with boredom too). I still have moments when I slip but knowing that I am a stress eater helps me recognize it and put a stop to it before it gets out of control.

Yep. So true. Thanks
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking the question OP. I am here for the responses
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

That's not unusual, and is thought to be the reason why yoga was invented - to help shut off the mind in preparation for meditation :)

Seated meditation will make me calmer, but I have to be calm enough to begin it. If I were stressed today, I would first exhaust myself from shoveling, then do yoga, and only afterwards attempt seated meditation.

I find shoveling meditative, especially when the snow is coming down so hard that there is no traffic and it's very quiet.

I also find pruning meditative.

That the idea behind banzai trees, isn't it?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hitting the weight room is my go-to stress reliever.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Thank you. Two things that I am now convinced to guard against. Stress and boredom. Love MFP.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Find a habit that requires your hands and concentration. That also helps you avoid stress eating or habit snacking. For me, exercise sucks and I hate it, so it doesn't relieve stress! But reading or arts or gaming help me get my mind off what's stressing me out, which helps me put things into proportion when I'm done.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk or something.

Eating because I'm stressed just makes me more stressed because I end up feeling bad about eating my feelings on top of being stressed... there's just no point!
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks!