Sugar-Do you count natural sugars?

Options
Every day I go over my sugar "goal" but when I subtract my fruit and veggie sugars I am well under. I don't think natural sugar should count but curious what everyone else thinks.
An example: Today I prelogged my diary and I have 63g of sugar and my goal is 45g. I subtracted my two servings of fruit and the sugars in my homemade vegetable soup and I have only had about 24g of actual added sugar.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a need to track sugar, don't bother, and track something like fibre instead.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, I don't worry about sugar from vegetables, fruits, and dairy. I sometimes watch sugar just to see if there are any surprises or if I'm eating more added sugar than I thought (I haven't been surprised by anything, though). I don't care about the overall sugar number so long as I have enough protein, fiber, and healthy fats, and of course am within my calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar at all.
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar at all.

ditto
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I was prediabetic and try to keep my carbs very low. Zero sugar in a day is a good day for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    After I reduced baked goods I never went over sugar and swapped it out for fiber. I might be over now that I eat more fruit, but I'm not worried about it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I track fiber rather than sugar.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I always watch processed sugar but not naturally occurring sugars
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Me too but mfp doesn't automatically exclude natural sugars
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Sugar matters for me so I just generally avoid all foods containing it, even whole foods. And I track fibre too, in order to avoid it. Fibre is not the friend we've all been lead to believe imo, especially the insoluble type. But my experience only relates to metabolic disorder and T2 diabetes, depression/anxiety, GERD, chronic joint pain, headaches, sleep problems, difficulty to lose weight regardless of supposed calorie deficit, dental problems..... etc etc. lol
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »

Me too but mfp doesn't automatically exclude natural sugars

Yeah that sucks doesn't it!!!! I just have a quick look at where the sugars have come from
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    To your body sugar is sugar, whatever its source, so don't be fooled by the whole idea of natural vs. processed and one being better or worse than the other.

There's a thought that too much sugar isn't good for you, it's an inflammatory, etc. etc. However, unless you have a reason to be watching sugar, there's no real need to track is separately from carbs, of which sugar is one. Change sugar to something else you'd rather check. I prefer to track things like calcium and iron intake, personally.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    To your body sugar is sugar, whatever its source, so don't be fooled by the whole idea of natural vs. processed and one being better or worse than the other.

There's a thought that too much sugar isn't good for you, it's an inflammatory, etc. etc. However, unless you have a reason to be watching sugar, there's no real need to track is separately from carbs, of which sugar is one. Change sugar to something else you'd rather check. I prefer to track things like calcium and iron intake, personally.

I will just have to agree to disagree, natural sugars IMO are different from processed sugars.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I will just have to agree to disagree, natural sugars IMO are different from processed sugars.

How?
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    One is from things that grow in nature and the other is processed and refined
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    One is from things that grow in nature and the other is processed and refined

Uhm... do you know where the processed sugar comes from and how it is refined?
  • Melmo1988
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am not going to argue, you're not gonna change my mind, I limit artificial sugar and not natural sugar. Do what you want and I'll do what I want.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am not going to argue, you're not gonna change my mind, I limit artificial sugar and not natural sugar. Do what you want and I'll do what I want.

I take that as a "No." to my question then.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I have a problem with saying no to too many processed sugars. I don't binge on fruit. There's your answer.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It's fine to have an arbitrary restriction, nobody is saying that you can't. It's just that it's arbitrary. But if you're going to state that things are different (as you did above), falling back on an arbitrary distinction isn't much of a response when people ask about it.