Replies

• Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    To your body sugar is sugar, whatever its source, so don't be fooled by the whole idea of natural vs. processed and one being better or worse than the other.

There's a thought that too much sugar isn't good for you, it's an inflammatory, etc. etc. However, unless you have a reason to be watching sugar, there's no real need to track is separately from carbs, of which sugar is one. Change sugar to something else you'd rather check. I prefer to track things like calcium and iron intake, personally.

I will just have to agree to disagree, natural sugars IMO are different from processed sugars.

Read this part again. See where it says IMO? That doesn't mean fact.

I apologize for misunderstanding what you meant. When I have an opinion, it is usually based on my understanding of what the facts in the situation are.

Well like I said, I will agree to disagree. My opinion, and my life. This works for me so I will continue to do it

You've already said that your opinion isn't based on facts. I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, to be honest.
    Again, I will agree to disagree and be done with it
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

LMAO.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    People telling me to stop counting sugar and count something else IS telling me how to do things.

If it's going to upset you, maybe it would be better not to ask others how they handle it?

There is a difference between telling someone how you do things and telling someone what to do

With respect, I think you're being a bit too sensitive. When people come across like they aren't sure what the facts on something are, sometimes people will offer suggestions. You seem a bit confused on how our body processes sugar or the importance of the difference between sugar in fruit and other sugar, so I think people were trying to help you by offering suggestions. If you don't want to take the suggestions, why not just accept that most -- if not all -- were offered in a spirit of helpfulness and move on?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in a response to my post about rhubarb sauce vs. an apple and the differences between an apple and a chocolate chip cookie not being the sugar.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I would be interested in a response to my post about rhubarb sauce vs. an apple and the differences between an apple and a chocolate chip cookie not being the sugar.

Hey...get in line lady. She hasn't answered my question yet! :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    To your body sugar is sugar, whatever its source, so don't be fooled by the whole idea of natural vs. processed and one being better or worse than the other.

There's a thought that too much sugar isn't good for you, it's an inflammatory, etc. etc. However, unless you have a reason to be watching sugar, there's no real need to track is separately from carbs, of which sugar is one. Change sugar to something else you'd rather check. I prefer to track things like calcium and iron intake, personally.

I will just have to agree to disagree, natural sugars IMO are different from processed sugars.

Read this part again. See where it says IMO? That doesn't mean fact.

I apologize for misunderstanding what you meant. When I have an opinion, it is usually based on my understanding of what the facts in the situation are.

Well like I said, I will agree to disagree. My opinion, and my life. This works for me so I will continue to do it

You've already said that your opinion isn't based on facts. I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, to be honest.
    Again, I will agree to disagree and be done with it

What would you say if someone said it was their OPINION that George Washington was the 33rd President of the United States?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I have informed myself. I like how I feel when I avoid it instead of consuming lots of it. Why do you care?

You're saying refined sugar isn't from things that grow in nature, that it's fake. Those statements are incorrect.

Yea it comes from nature but then it is processed and refined. Fruit comes straight from the plant and eaten.
    If it works for you, eat all the sugar you want

How sugar gets processed and refined:

Centrifugal force and water. No chemicals or anything involved in the process.

Sugar beets are sliced and soaked in hot water to extract the sugar. This sugar water gets boiled then dried. The brown molasses get removed by spinning it in a centrifuge, the rest of the brown color gets removed by being sprayed with water.
    That's all.
    It's in no way, shape or form different from the sugar that was in the beet to begin with. In fact, many fruits are containing the exact same sugar.

But I'm wasting my time here because you obviously already think it's the devil and no amount of actual facts is going to change that.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    Why? Would it make you feel better if I admitted I was wrong? Just like I'm not going to change my mind, I'm not going to change your mind so why bother arguing about it. To each their own.

• Melmo1988
    Options
    I have informed myself. I like how I feel when I avoid it instead of consuming lots of it. Why do you care?

You're saying refined sugar isn't from things that grow in nature, that it's fake. Those statements are incorrect.

Yea it comes from nature but then it is processed and refined. Fruit comes straight from the plant and eaten.

Sugar beets are sliced and soaked in hot water to extract the sugar. This sugar water gets boiled then dried. The brown molasses get removed by spinning it in a centrifuge, the rest of the brown color gets removed by being sprayed with water.
    That's all.
    It's in no way, shape or form different from the sugar that was in the beet to begin with. In fact, many fruits are containing the exact same sugar.

But I'm wasting my time here because you obviously already think it's the devil and no amount of actual facts is going to change that.

I didn't say it's the devil, just that avoiding it is working for me
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Wow no wonder kids struggle these days when the adults around them act like this!! *face palm* petty petty petty
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That's all.

No, that's not all you said.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with separating sugar. It's the same stuff no matter where it's from.
  • Melmo1988
    Options

That's all.

No, that's not all you said.

I said IMO natural sugar is different than processed. And it is because it affects ME differently
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Why? Would it make you feel better if I admitted I was wrong? Just like I'm not going to change my mind, I'm not going to change your mind so why bother arguing about it. To each their own.

Because I'm not really sure why we are disagreeing or you are getting upset. What do you think I am wrong about or trying to change your mind on? That the sugars that make up the sugar content of an apple and a cookie are basically the same (they all break down to glucose and fructose) AND that there are many differences between an apple and a cookie are both pretty obviously true and undebatable, IMO.

I think there's a lot of perceived disagreement on this board because some use "processed sugar is different" as a shorthand for saying "foods with lots of calories and less of certain kinds of nutrients" are different and then seem to misinterpret someone saying "sugar is sugar" as claiming that an apple is identical to a cookie. So, yes, I would be interested in how you perceive the current disagreement. I don't like having a position attributed to me that I don't hold and I don't think anyone could possibly hold.
  • Melmo1988
    Options
    I didn't see a question in your post, just opinion so I don't know what question I'm supposed to answer
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I'm curious what you disagree with or what your response is. As I said in the most recent post: " What do you think I am wrong about or trying to change your mind on?" I am trying to understand why you seem so irritated.

And again, I look at added sugar myself (although I don't think it's the be-all, end-all -- I'd typically prefer oatmeal with a little sugar to a glass of homemade apple juice), and don't care about how much sugar I get from veg, dairy, or fruit, so long as I am hitting my protein and other goals.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't limit natural sugar, I just make sure I have not too much in my diet as it doesn't fit my macros. I have a dietician (through a hospital) who in the past explained to me that natural sugars and refined sugars behave slightly differently in the body and that whole foods with lots of sugar tend to spike your blood glucose differently in comparison to natural sugars.
  • tempamatic
    tempamatic Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This discussion is not at all enlightening. The issue is, should we care if sugar is in fruit/vegetables or refined or added -- if your body can't tell the difference? If you get enough/too much fiber elsewhere, what difference does it make?

Why are fruits and vegetables so exalted in the nutrition world? What is in them that you can't get by eating plenty of fiber and taking a multivitamin? Are enzymes some magic thing in these foods, or is that some kind of superstition? What about antioxidants? Are they a miracle cancer-fighting substance in fruits and vegetables, or is that hooey, too, as I've seen in multiple scientific studies?

Are there any factual answers to any of these questions, or is it all consumer pseudoscience? Is there anywhere in the nutrition world where correlation is not confused or mixed up with causation?

I am having a hard time finding any facts inside any of this, and I'm starting to wonder if the food industry is gaming us all with a bunch of voodoo and superstition.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I don't limit natural sugar, I just make sure I have not too much in my diet as it doesn't fit my macros. I have a dietician (through a hospital) who in the past explained to me that natural sugars and refined sugars behave slightly differently in the body and that whole foods with lots of sugar tend to spike your blood glucose differently in comparison to natural sugars.

This is likely because they contain fiber, usually. I suspect that rhubarb sauce with added sugar and apple sauce without would not behave differently, if the sugar content were the same. And, similarly, juice usually behaves quite differently than a whole fruit, even though the sugar does not change.

That's the point that some of us are trying to make. This doesn't mean that people shouldn't pay attention to what foods they eat. Of course they should.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP in your original post you asked for other people's input about whether natural sugars should count toward your overall sugar goal.
    Every day I go over my sugar "goal" but when I subtract my fruit and veggie sugars I am well under. I don't think natural sugar should count but curious what everyone else thinks.

Why so defensive when people are trying to have a calm discussion about whether or not the body differentiates between natural sugar and added sugars found in many foods? If you have your mind made up already, which your subsequent posts seem to indicate an unwillingness to consider other view points or the chemistry behind how sugar is refined, how your body processes sugar regardless of the form, etc - why ask for opinions in the first place?