2016 Lenten Challenge

Options

Replies

• nancypnurse
    nancypnurse Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am cutting sweets and adding more fruits. Very difficult for me since I have the biggest sweet tooth...

Thanks nancypnurse for starting this challenge!!

Kathy, wishing you all the best. As an oncology nurse, I see the damage and also see the struggle to give up cigarettes. Hopefully feeling better at the gym will add to your resolve.
  • nancypnurse
    Options
    I am cutting sweets and adding more fruits. Very difficult for me since I have the biggest sweet tooth...

Thanks nancypnurse for starting this challenge!!

Thank you! I have been working on cutting back on sweets too. One snack that I love right now? A clementine, and 20 almonds. Not sure if it is the taste or the smell of the oranges that I like the best. And the small amount of almonds are just enough to break the "hungry horrors"....
  • nancypnurse
    Options
    kaholwerda wrote: »
    I will add walking my dog 3 days a week and need to think about what I will give up.

Your pup says, "Yippee!!!"
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I will give up elevators (I work on the 6th floor of a hospital,) and add one hour in the gym three days per week... (i have been better at dieting than exercising in 2016, so hopefully this will be the push I need...

I have been taking stares more too. I work in an 18 story building and I move around in it numerous times in the day. Who needs a gym?
  • beckyboughan
    beckyboughan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am giving up alcohol and fast food for lent (the fast food issue... well i know there are those times that is all that is available... and i will make the healthiest choice I can if I have to eat at a fast food).
  • roobidoobidoo
    roobidoobidoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am donating the £ equivalent of the lbs I lose over Lent to Charity

What a fantastic idea! Have you decided which charity?

I was thinking of our local food bank, it seems apt
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I'm in! Haven't observed Lent before but there's a first time for everything.
    Giving up-negative thinking
    Adding in-more time for my personal worship life

Love it-- let us know where you need help :)
    Thanks! Right now, I guess I could use help giving up the negativity. :/
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Just posted about this! I plan on prelogging everything before I actually eat it, to eliminate binging and estimating snacks. I will make
    Exceptions for when I eat outside the home and do my best to
    Estimate, but that's only once a week or less.
  • JackiLean
    JackiLean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am donating the £ equivalent of the lbs I lose over Lent to Charity

What a great idea!! I think I'll jump on board with that as well.

I will be sticking 100% to my diet plan my doctor gave me. NO CHEATING.

I will be drinking only water and non-caffeinated tea.

I will be logging daily.

I will also be smiling during this entire time. Even if I'm dying of starvation from withholding the refined sugars I've grown a dependency on.

Please friend me if you'd like help on this mission. As much as I know God is watching, I may need a network a little more corporeal for those really tough times.
  • KillerKel01
    KillerKel01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    2016 lent I will give up negative thinking. I will recognize negative self thought and replace it with positive self thought. It's harder than you think.....no pun intended.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Love this idea. I will be back tomorrow with my choices. Good luck all!
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So I am doing the "traditional" lent and will be vegan for the next 46 days. For this year, I will also eliminate refined sugar, add at least one green smoothie to every day.
  • jibeirish
    jibeirish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I m giving up bread and im going to start walking my dogs for at least an hour every evening
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    cvisco19 wrote: »
    I will challenge myself to not snack after dinner and instead do stretches or weights.

Lift those gorgeous kids of yours over your head a few times a nite-- they won't even realize that they are part of a weight training program! ;)

I was thinking of this comment last night when I was babysitting my grandaughter. Piggy back rides up and down the stairs and lifting her "up to the sky" a few dozen hundred times......again, who needs a gym? Haha
  • smanderson2015
    smanderson2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I will give up soda....
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    2016 lent I will give up negative thinking. I will recognize negative self thought and replace it with positive self thought. It's harder than you think.....no pun intended.
    Awesome! Me too. Wanna be accountibilibuddies?
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've decided that 1200 is too low for my activity level (I have it set to light on here but it's more accurately moderate). I'm just going to do 1360 like MFP has it at.
  • nancypnurse
    Options
    I am giving up alcohol and fast food for lent (the fast food issue... well i know there are those times that is all that is available... and i will make the healthiest choice I can if I have to eat at a fast food).

Fast foods are incredibly tempting... try carrying a ziploc baggie with almonds/nuts... this sometimes helps me skip the fast food line (but, like you, not always.... ) I love that they now give us the calorie breakdown on so many of the menus now.
  • nancypnurse
    Options
    I will give up soda....

Awesome-- adding water?