Dieters Edema

Options
Weighing everyday with a sometimey scale but Sunday I was 173.6 Tuesday I'm
176 I think it's water retention because I've been killing my exercises and I know it has to be working!! I've been under my calorie goals as well. I've ditched the scale packed it away until I buy a new one and I won't weigh until next Sunday. I've thrown some green tea into my diet to see if it helps my dieters edema. It's Frustrating as all this time I've seen a steady 2 pound decrease every week. Hopefully by Saturday I'll see better results. I'm looking to add a waist trimmer to my workout in hopes to shed water weight in my waist during my workouts! Any one else have anything to add?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    The water retention is part of the muscle repair process. Accept it.
    Green tea and waist trainers won't get rid of it. Stopping exercise will have you pee it all out in a couple of days.

Cheers, h.
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Never weigh everyday , once a week the same time eg every monday morning , before eating anything and naked is best .
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Never weigh everyday , once a week the same time eg every monday morning , before eating anything and naked is best .

Why? Weigh as often as you want as long as you understand fluctuations and don't let it emotionally drive you.
  • ashayoc
    ashayoc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Green tea and waist trainers won't get rid of it. Stopping exercise will have you pee it all out in a couple of days.

Cheers, h.

So what your saying is do rest day? Im afraid if I do I'll get too comfortable lol

• ashayoc
    Options

Why? Weigh as often as you want as long as you understand fluctuations and don't let it emotionally drive you.

I use to weigh every Sunday morning naked before I eat and I did this Sunday I logged those results but I'm saying since which I've gained on the scale so it's depressing I guess I could stick to just Sunday and yes it emotionally stresses me :(
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I am not saying do a rest day for expelling the water retained for muscle repair. It takes upto a week for that to happen.
    If you are working out hard you should have a rest day for your body to recover though.

I am saying accept the water weight it is part of the muscle repair process.

Cheers, h.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ashayoc wrote: »

I use to weigh every Sunday morning naked before I eat and I did this Sunday I logged those results but I'm saying since which I've gained on the scale so it's depressing I guess I could stick to just Sunday and yes it emotionally stresses me :(

Then it is important to learn to not be a slave to the numbers. Try this - weigh yourself 4-5 times a day for two days. Write down all the weigh-ins. See how much you vary within a day? Understanding in-day variance is a way of saying - hey, some of this is just related to undigested food, hydration, glycogen stores, health, TOM, etc...

Track trends - one single point doesn't matter it is trends over 3-4 weeks or months that matter. You aren't living a healthy life for a day of weight but for the rest of your life.

Understand that exercise creates changes in weight. And that you will see that on the scale.

Unless you accept it and devoid it of the emotional elements you will be stuck in a cycle of fluctuation (unavoidable)-> stressed out -> giving up on activity or healthy eating -> weight gain.

You've seen a steady decrease all this time, one up measurement or even a few, are normal parts of the process.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/prison-of-numbers-751723

Edit: (and make sure you get at least one rest day a week - muscle repair, better stress levels and, gasp, weight loss occur also during needed recovery time.)

• ashayoc
    Options
    I am not saying do a rest day for expelling the water retained for muscle repair. It takes upto a week for that to happen.
    If you are working out hard you should have a rest day for your body to recover though.

I am saying accept the water weight it is part of the muscle repair process.

Cheers, h.

Ok thanks I will try that

• ashayoc
    Options

Then it is important to learn to not be a slave to the numbers. Try this - weigh yourself 4-5 times a day for two days. Write down all the weigh-ins. See how much you vary within a day? Understanding in-day variance is a way of saying - hey, some of this is just related to undigested food, hydration, glycogen stores, health, TOM, etc...

Track trends - one single point doesn't matter it is trends over 3-4 weeks or months that matter. You aren't living a healthy life for a day of weight but for the rest of your life.

Understand that exercise creates changes in weight. And that you will see that on the scale.

Unless you accept it and devoid it of the emotional elements you will be stuck in a cycle of fluctuation (unavoidable)-> stressed out -> giving up on activity or healthy eating -> weight gain.

You've seen a steady decrease all this time, one up measurement or even a few, are normal parts of the process.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/prison-of-numbers-751723

Edit: (and make sure you get at least one rest day a week - muscle repair, better stress levels and, gasp, weight loss occur also during needed recovery time.)

I understand your point ok I'll give this a try also. I don't think I'll track that often once a week is fine and I'll include a rest day
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

This

www.trendweight.com

or Happy Scale

Or Libra

Get used to fluctuations - you don't have a scale weight but a scale weight range

dehydration, sodium, carbs, change-up in exercise, hormones around ovulation and menstruation - all affect the number on the scale
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

So what your saying is do rest day? Im afraid if I do I'll get too comfortable lol

Rest days are part of a good fitness routine - particularly if including progressive resistance - nobody should work out every single day
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Don't wear a waist trainer while working out. It'll be uncomfortable, it'll keep you from breathing deeply, mess with your form, interfere with actually strengthening your core, it can give you acid reflux and increase your risk of blood clots, and despite all that, it won't actually *do* anything helpful. You can't spot reduce. It'll just squish everything together during the time you MOST need to be able to breath deeply and have good blood flow. When you take it off, everything plops back out to where it goes naturally. You can't "train" your waist externally except through years of very extreme tightlacing corsetry that leaves you dependent on the corset to function afterward, and that carries all the same risks of wearing a waist trainer while working out, but all the time.

Actually just don't wear a waist trainer ever. It's just a corset. We realized those were a terrible idea over a century ago, that's why the scammers who sell them had to rebrand as "waist trainers" for the Kardashians to market them.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Cheers, h.

Rest days are part of a good fitness routine - particularly if including progressive resistance - nobody should work out every single day

This.

We gain strength on rest days, not workout days.

Exercise puts micro tears in muscles and on rest days those muscles heal and get stronger.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I've weighed myself every day for 14 years. That's how I learned about the patterns.
    I weigh more the day after a high sodium meal.
    I weigh more the day after a big carb meal.
    I weigh more if I really go at it at the gym for a few days.
    I weighed more right before I ovulated.
    I weighed more right before my period.
    I weigh more for TWO days after every airplane flight.

Knowing the patterns means not freaking out. Unless you have a tendency toward an eating disorder or the like, there's nothing wrong with weighing daily.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Don't wear a waist trainer while working out. It'll be uncomfortable, it'll keep you from breathing deeply, mess with your form, interfere with actually strengthening your core, it can give you acid reflux and increase your risk of blood clots, and despite all that, it won't actually *do* anything helpful. You can't spot reduce. It'll just squish everything together during the time you MOST need to be able to breath deeply and have good blood flow. When you take it off, everything plops back out to where it goes naturally. You can't "train" your waist externally except through years of very extreme tightlacing corsetry that leaves you dependent on the corset to function afterward, and that carries all the same risks of wearing a waist trainer while working out, but all the time.

Actually just don't wear a waist trainer ever. It's just a corset. We realized those were a terrible idea over a century ago, that's why the scammers who sell them had to rebrand as "waist trainers" for the Kardashians to market them.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

I love wearing a corset for costuming, but yeah - they can end up weakening your core and cause you all sorts of problems. Not only, that but their slimming effects are very temporary (you'll bounce back to your original size within a day of taking it off). Anyone who has actually achieved a permanent smaller size has done so because they've successfully moved their bones and organs - which is not good for you.

The only time I've worn a corset for non-costuming purposes was for temporary back support after having muscle spasms. Otherwise, they should be limited to costumed events.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you really want to see the water weight drop, you can spend a day or two eating at your maintenance level. Personally, I'd just accept it and move on.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

I love wearing a corset for costuming, but yeah - they can end up weakening your core and cause you all sorts of problems. Not only, that but their slimming effects are very temporary (you'll bounce back to your original size within a day of taking it off). Anyone who has actually achieved a permanent smaller size has done so because they've successfully moved their bones and organs - which is not good for you.

The only time I've worn a corset for non-costuming purposes was for temporary back support after having muscle spasms. Otherwise, they should be limited to costumed events.

I agree it shouldn't be worn during a workout, but a proper corset and waist training will not harm you at all. It's when you tightlace and go overboard and don't understand how waist training works that there can be problems. Women who waist train do it very very gradually and ease into it, rather than wear a corset over a 24/7 hour period to begin with.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

^^THIS!
    Too many people set false expectations about how the weight loss process should proceed, don't educate themselves about normal bodily responses, then get stressed out when things don't go their way! A little bit of info hoes a long way.

I encourage everyone to read or re-read the sticky posts at the top of each MFP forum. They're there for a very good reason!!!
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

I agree it shouldn't be worn during a workout, but a proper corset and waist training will not harm you at all. It's when you tightlace and go overboard and don't understand how waist training works that there can be problems. Women who waist train do it very very gradually and ease into it, rather than wear a corset over a 24/7 hour period to begin with.

There really isn't such a thing as "gradual waist training". You can train your body to gradually tolerate wearing a corset for longer periods (but your waist will still go back to what it naturally would be within a day or two of corsetlessness). You can wear a corset for short periods (but it will have no effect on your shape when you take the corset off). You can actually distort your skeleton and internal organs and cause wasting of your abdominal and back muscles to reshape your waist more permanently, but this requires extensive tightlacing for a long period that also requires the wearing of the corset for support after the "goal" is achieved, and has been understood to be damaging since, oh, the Victorian era. Squeezing your torso mass inward to achieve a smaller shape is, perhaps, not damaging in a small amount, but it's not permanent for most people, and it's DEFINITELY not a good idea while you're working out. And the whole language of "training" around it, like it's something you can do to productively change your body as opposed to a brace that reshapes by force only while you're wearing it, and that can have negative side effects, is really misleading.

Thinking you can "train" your waist to be smaller by wearing a corset is like thinking you can train yourself to be taller and leggier by wearing high heels. It works- while you're wearing the device. It stops when you take it off. Unless you wear it so long you cause permanent deformation of the body (which can happen with both corsets and high heels), but that's not exactly a great goal.