Negative Calorie foods on Dr. Oz

Did anyone see Dr. Oz's show yesterday about negative calorie foods? It looks legit. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    lydcot58 wrote: »
    Did anyone see Dr. Oz's show yesterday about negative calorie foods? It looks legit. What are your thoughts?
    If it's on Dr. Oz, it's definitely NOT legit.

Come on, think about it - does negative calorie foods even make any sense???
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

I'd ask how such foods can make sense in light of the theory of evolution - nothing makes sense in biology without the lens of evolution. I don't see why any living entity would have evolved to spend energy (calories) digesting something that it wasn't getting more out of it than it took to digest. It just doesn't make sense in that light.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Yes, some foods have higher TEF. No, foods aren't negative calorie. Don't listen to Dr. Oz.

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Dr. Oz is a joke... all the doctor shows on tv are. They feed misleading information to sell products and boost ratings. I saw an episode once where doctor Oz said "lose 10 pounds easy, just give up gluten...." hm yeah maybe if you have a gluten intolerance you'll lose ten pounds easy otherwise I don't think so.

Negative foods don't exist what does exist though are low calorie foods that pack tons of nutrients. Foods like spinach and celery have tons of nutrients but are low calorie which are great if you're in a calorie deficit because you can eats lots of them if you're hungry and not use too many calories.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

Dr Oz or salesman for the highest bidder as I like to call him ;) Is stretching a thing called thermic food effect and trying to make it fit with what ever his latest venture is.

Ignore him and just keep logging your calories or start to if you haven't already :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I am extremely delighted that I live in a country where that charlatan does not grace our airwaves

Although we do have other satires available to us

And no such thing as a negative calorie food

Apart from dust of course
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    If it's on Dr. Oz, it's definitely NOT legit.

Come on, think about it - does negative calorie foods even make any sense???

Qft
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    There is no such thing as a negative calorie food...

Do yourself a favor and google "Dr Oz Senate Hearings"...then you can read all about how he was under senate investigation for scamming the public with his *kitten*. I think it all ended with the senators giving him a good dress down...unfortunately there wasn't enough there to put this *kitten* bag in prison.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I am extremely delighted that I live in a country where that charlatan does not grace our airwaves

Although we do have other satires available to us

And no such thing as a negative calorie food

Apart from dust of course
    His programme used to air here on Discovery home & health. I believe it flopped quickly though :D
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I was curious so I googled it. It looks like his guest was this author.
    http://www.amazon.com/Foods-That-Cause-Lose-Weight/dp/0380807971

I clicked a link on the Oz site for Barnard and it said he's a psychiatrist. Kind of weird it doesn't mention that on the Amazon page or on Barnard's own sites. He's written a lot of diet books, for a psychiatrist. Maybe self-help books from his own field don't sell as well.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited February 2016
    It looks legit.

Ah, yes. Dr. Oz. Always a wealth of reliable information and unbiased science-based opinions.

u8fgen.jpg
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Turn off Dr. Oz. That man spouts nothing but nonsense. All foods have calories. Negative calorie foods are a myth.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    It is not "legit." At all.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member

Based on the little bit I did see about it, the guy's food recommendations ARE going to be low cal, filling foods, which are good for keeping your intake low. He's pushing high fiber, high water, low fat produce. So if it appeals to you, go for it! It won't be 'negative calorie' but it'll be low cal.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    No I didn't see it, are these foods supposed to suck the calories out of you?

That sucking sound may be the $$ leaving your wallet if you are gullible.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Jerry Springer is more reliable as a diet advice source than Dr. Oz.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Is he talking about eating tapeworms?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Nope, there are no negative calorie foods............except water.
    Gimmicks and hype.
    All it really is, is tracking all calories accurately and eating less of them than you burn.
    Simple, but never easy.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,992 Member
    Dr. Oz is a joke... all the doctor shows on tv are. They feed misleading information to sell products and boost ratings. I saw an episode once where doctor Oz said "lose 10 pounds easy, just give up gluten...." hm yeah maybe if you have a gluten intolerance you'll lose ten pounds easy otherwise I don't think so.

And even then they just substitute with gluten free foods which are just as high in calories as their glutenous twin.
    OP listen to the others. Dr. Oz is good for one thing - a laugh.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I don't think this was a serious post....