Failing every day :(

Options
Fcc2023
Fcc2023 Posts: 43 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I dont know whats wrong with me im gradually gaining more and more and movibg into the overweight bracket. Every day I start off really well and have a healthy breakfast, snack and lunch but i when get home from work around 3pm, I just start eating loads of sweet stuff until im full!!! im aware its really bad for me and i hate myself after but its happening every day, I just dont know what to do or what diet to go on.. I need to lose about 18 lbs! but just dont know how im going to do it with this binge eating stuff when I get home from work :( any advice would be appreciated.. On here it says I need 1200 kcals but I dont know how to stick to that and not be starving or craving sweet stuff...

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • Fcc2023
    Options
    My stats are age 36, 5ft2 and 9 stone 10
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary? If we can see, we can help understand how your food choices might affect your satiety. Also, what is your current weight loss plan, as in pounds per week? As you get closer to goal, keeping the deficit needed to sustain weight loss gets more and more difficult, which means dialing back the rate. It's faster to lose a pound of fat at 80 pounds over goal versus 20 over.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Gotta get rid of the sweet stuff at home
  • emmas434
    emmas434 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How much have you set yourself to lose a week? You could be starting off too high.

I find it best, if you know you have a tendency to overeat in the evening, to have less in the cupboards that I'm likely to eat/snack on. I usually buy one chocolate bar rather than the four pack because then I can only eat one instead of four!
  • Fcc2023
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I havent filled it in properly but today for instance I had bran flakes for breakfast, Apple for snack a small wholemeal philadelphia light and Marmite sandwich..when I got hom I had 3 digestives 2 cookies 2 kitkats and a pack of crisps :( nightmare
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What are you eating up to that point?
    Maybe you need to get rid of all the sweets in the house so that you aren't tempted to binge. Are there other seemingly non food related things that my cause u to binge or feel bad about yourself?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Set your deficit to lose 0.5lbs, that way you can eat a bit more. Save cals for an afternoon snack and then do your workout afterwards so you're not just sat eating crap all afternoon
  • Fcc2023
    Options
    I thinks it set on the lowest amount to lose.. like 0.5lbs or something but because im short my calories are lower
  • Fcc2023
    Options
    emmas434 wrote: »
    How much have you set yourself to lose a week? You could be starting off too high.

I find it best, if you know you have a tendency to overeat in the evening, to have less in the cupboards that I'm likely to eat/snack on. I usually buy one chocolate bar rather than the four pack because then I can only eat one instead of four!

I have 4 kids so theres always loads of snacks in the house :/
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    For starters, you only have 18 pounds to lose. Set your weight loss goal for 1/2 pound per week. It will leave you at a reasonable deficit and won't leave you feeling like you're starving and then running for the sweets. Get yourself a digital scale, and start weighing all solids and measuring all liquids for more accurate measurement of actual calories consumed. I think you will find that you will be able to fit in a little bit of sweet each day and not feel quite so miserable. Good luck :)
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    coops3180 wrote: »

If the sweet snacks aren't good for you, they're no good for the kids either. Get the junk out of the house for everyone's good and supply your kids (and incidentally you) with healthy snacks instead.

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    You are here, you are aware of it, and you are logging your food, those are all great things to build on
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It seems like you are starving yourself during the day. If you aren't so hungry by the time you get home, perhaps you won't go so crazy on all the junk. The kids don't need that much of it either.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I dont know whats wrong with me im gradually gaining more and more and movibg into the overweight bracket. Every day I start off really well and have a healthy breakfast, snack and lunch but i when get home from work around 3pm, I just start eating loads of sweet stuff until im full!!! im aware its really bad for me and i hate myself after but its happening every day, I just dont know what to do or what diet to go on.. I need to lose about 18 lbs! but just dont know how im going to do it with this binge eating stuff when I get home from work :( any advice would be appreciated.. On here it says I need 1200 kcals but I dont know how to stick to that and not be starving or craving sweet stuff...

There's a lot going on here, so I want to address part of it and hope others catch the rest.

Given your stats, you are just inside of a the normal healthy weight range for your height. I don't know why you think you need to lose 18 pounds, but you don't have to if you don't want to. You could maintain your current weight or set a smaller goal or work to recomposition your body (maintain your weight but change your body fat percentage and overall look of your body) if you wanted to.

1200 calories is the absolute bare minimum that MFP will recommend for weight loss. It's an aggressive calorie goal that leaves a lot of people feeling hungry. That's not a failing. You may not need to go so low if it's not working for you. Reset your goals to lose weight less quickly (most people pick 2 pounds per week, even though it's not really a good idea for everyone) and remember that MFP expects you to log any exercise you're doing and will raise your calories as you get more active.

Binge eating is a hard thing to break and it usually comes from one of two places. The first, and probably easiest to deal with (though that's debatable) is from over restricting. Setting your calorie goals too low, trying to do too much too fast, or cutting out foods that you love from your diet can all lead to a sort of bounce-back affect where you overeat. We've covered the low calorie goal above, but if you're craving sweets, make them work in your calorie goals. This is a lifestyle change. That doesn't mean you have to give up everything forever. It means you need to find a way to fit things you like into your life.

The second cause of binge eating is usually emotional or psychological. That can be harder to break and may take some time and work (not that the above isn't work). A therapist can help. Journaling can help. Being mindful of why you're eating and what you're feeling when you eat can help. Interrupting the negative thoughts around food and breaking the eat/guilt/punishment cycle can help. Channeling your thoughts and emotions into other actions (stress relief, exercise, meditation, sports, hobbies, whatever) can help. But it's a long process and you aren't going to be perfect at it right away.

Someone once gave me the acronym HALT. Never let yourself get to Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. That's when we're more likely to lose control of what we choose to eat.

Overall, you want to combine a variety of strategies to keep yourself from having this sort of binge problems. Keeping plenty of easy to grab snacks around can help (veggies, protein bars, whatever). Putting the foods you have trouble moderating out of sight or in a separate cabinet can help. Allowing yourself to have small amounts of those foods and supplementing with veggies or a protein shake or whatever can help. Different things help for different people. But I think the thing that is most important is that if you feel like you can't do it or you feel like food has some kind of power over you, then you're set up to fail from the beginning. Breaking that mindset can be a powerful tool.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Eat enough carbs from whole foods during the day and don't buy "junk" to keep in the house. (Or buy "junk" that doesn't appeal to you, only the kids) Maybe your kids can start snacking on "healthier" options?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    emmas434 wrote: »

They don't especially need that stuff either
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    How about stopping at the gym for a couple of hours on your way home? If you don't buy the sweet stuff - you can't eat it. If the problem is hunger - eat tons of veggies with lean meats and add a bit of butter. The protein and fat will keep you feeling full longer while the veggies will fill you up quickly.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I havent filled it in properly but today for instance I had bran flakes for breakfast, Apple for snack a small wholemeal philadelphia light and Marmite sandwich..when I got hom I had 3 digestives 2 cookies 2 kitkats and a pack of crisps :( nightmare

This doesn't sound like a nightmare to me. It sounds like it's only slightly more than a normal amount of food. You might try logging a full days worth of food, including slip-ups, and see what it looks like. I bet it's not as bad as you're imagining.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I have two kids, too, but I make them keep any snacks that are tempting to me in a separate opaque box that is out of sight to avoid being a trigger to me.

I recommend:
    - Choose a moderate calorie deficit, as mentioned above
    - Dedicate 10 minutes every night to planning exactly what you will eat the next day
    - Record every bite you eat. Weigh and measure
    - If you find yourself wanting to eat off plan, decide that you will only do it after recording it in your MFP diary, and only eat while sitting down
    - Start your day by dedicating 5 minutes to reminding yourself of why losing weight is important to you, reviewing your planned menu for the day, and planning for any potential barriers or issues.