Problem with alcohol

Options

Replies

• wendylynne917
    wendylynne917 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I wish you well and hope that you are feeling better. It's good that you recognized that you have a problem, that's the first step...I think keeping busy and finding a hobby like the others have suggested will be good for you, and you may make some friends along the way!
  • Jack_NYC
    Jack_NYC Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Find a meeting. Now. http://www.aa.org/
    Good luck!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Hey jaycich:

How's your day going?

• Justn7883
    Justn7883 Posts: 4,764 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. All of my weight gain has stemmed from alcohol use. I was drinking a 12 pack of Newcastle every night after work. When I would drink I would eat and a lot of junk food as well. I haven't had a drink in over a month. Its been since New Years Eve and I'm feeling really good about it. Feel free to add.
  • Teamdhb120
    Teamdhb120 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jaycich wrote: »
    Teamdhb120 wrote: »
    I'm on day four. You can do this!

How you holding up?

I'm doing well and I'm way more productive.
  • jaycich
    jaycich Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Hey jaycich:

How's your day going?

Hey partner, pretty good. I woke up feeling better today, although I slept for about 9 hours. I went to Quiznos, then to look at some cars as I need one if I want to drive for uber (oil & gas is down). After I went to the grocery store and bought some mahi mahi. I may have overcooked it. Lol Watching the rockets play Portland right now.

No beer. :)

How bout yourself?

You guys Feel free to write about yourselves on my thread.
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey jaycich:

How's your day going?

Hey partner, pretty good. I woke up feeling better today, although I slept for about 9 hours. I went to Quiznos, then to look at some cars as I need one if I want to drive for uber (oil & gas is down). After I went to the grocery store and bought some mahi mahi. I may have overcooked it. Lol Watching the rockets play Portland right now.

How bout yourself?

Proud of you! I don't know if I've commented on your thread before but I know I def read it before and I've been rooting for you!
  • jaycich
    Options
    Hey jaycich:

How's your day going?

How bout yourself?

Proud of you! I don't know if I've commented on your thread before but I know I def read it before and I've been rooting for you!

Thank you so much. :)
  • Melzine
    Melzine Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Seek support asap
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Dude I'm 6 years sober, I know where you're coming from. I can honestly say the main thing that has kept me sober is on going exercise. Something that gives me a rush of adrenaline which ultimately translates into HIIT for me but also can be done by running.
    Get yourself a support system, obviously I needed AA but you can get it through group training or a family member, etc. Try to surround yourself with positive people.
    Kudos to you for recognizing this before you hit rock bottom. You can turn it around!
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Hello there, functioning alcoholic here (recovering), it doesn't affect my job and I don't do anything harmful while drinking other than damaging my body and gaining weight. My goal isn't to completely stop drinking but drink only on special occasions. I used to drink four 40oz each weekday and five to six on each saturday and sunday...so believe me when I say I understand where you are at; on top of that I smocked medical marijuana which I have completely quite. I don't drink to get drunk or tipsy but I do drink because of boredom combined with stress from work and it helps me sleep.

I am not perfect yet (you can see my diary) but majority of the time I no longer drink and gradually getting myself to the point where I will cut it out completely unless going out with friends. But the thing that has helped me is finding something to focus on and that includes establishing some hobbies and habits. I force myself to cook all my food which keeps me occupied and moving quite a bit. I started playing piano and guitar again, reading, etc....you have to force yourself to do the things you did before drinking-one thing at a time. I also established routine, like bathing before bed, logging everything I ate/drank, doing clay masks, brushing teeth, etc. I have a nightly routine that I stick to.

The first week of quitting the "habit" is not easy, falling asleep is a little tough (but focusing on your breathing helps me fall asleep, there is also a great breathing yoga technique that can help!). But the main thing is establishing routine that you stick to and slowly add things to do. Once I got that on some level of control I now started working out which makes me not want to drink because I am working so damn hard...makes me eat cleaner too.

It is important to keep cold water in the fridge and a filled glass around you, every time you feel the urge to drink-drink the water, it actually helps...eventually that becomes a habit too.

I am not into things like AA as I don't like the religious twist around it and it's targeted towards abstinence vs I want to learn to have control and moderate how I drink, I don't want to be helpless. There are apps for smart phones that help you track the things you quit (like for iphone there is Quit That! BeClear, Quit it!) in which you log how much money you spend a day and shows your progress not just how long you have abstained but how much money you saved yourself. There are also several reddit pages you can join like reddit.com/stopdrinking which has other people with experiences, stories and triumphs. It helps to read it when you are losing focus.

I only have 1 friend who I rarely see (majority of them moves to out of state and others I lost interest in). I quickly become solitary and drinking glued me to the couch and tv...but this isn't living...this is cruising. If you live near a city find some local things to go do, instead of spending money on alcohol spend it on doing something you enjoy. Start re-establishing those friendships, make plans like seeing a movie or doing movie/dinner/game night; it does help being around friends (just don't be around those that make you want to drink, lol).

Change one thing at a time and cut out a beer a day or a week, take small steps until you are ready to leap. I feel I finally reached my point of leaping but it took an entire month to get to this point but gaining control over the addiction. Just because we are a highly function alcoholics, we are still by definition alcoholics and it robs you of the possibilities of life. Low-risk drinking is no more than 3 drinks on any single day and no more than 7 drinks per week for women. For men, it is defined as no more than 4 drinks on any single day and no more than 14 drinks per week. Right now you drink 6 per 7 days a week which is 42 which is 28 more than it is advised. So cut down gradually and start regaining control of your life. I can already feel the difference it's making for my energy and body, it's worth it. There was a day and I was busy doing dishes and I realized that I actually liked being sober...crazy idea but I did like it. I am no saint...but I am getting there :open_mouth:

Wish you best of luck, feel free to add me for any support, etc. :)
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Btw your kitten is so cute, so jealous! I wish my building allowed pets, it would be so much easier with one! :P
  • jaycich
    Options
    Btw your kitten is so cute, so jealous! I wish my building allowed pets, it would be so much easier with one! :P

Lol
    Thanks
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It isn't easy. The first step is truly wanting to stop. I was drinking liquor daily, and even though I was working out and eating fairly well it was impacting my health and fitness. I'm only 32+ days without a drink now, but I feel so much better than I did 33 days ago. It is hard to describe how much better I truly feel. It hasn't been easy, but the first week was the hardest. There were plenty of times I could have had a drink, but because I truly want to stop, I was able to avoid them in those situations. I don't have an end goal or a "never drink again" deal. But I do want to challenge myself to keep this going as long as I can. I have a counter on my phone that I see every time I look at the phone, and it tells me how long it has been since my last drink. That has honestly helped me out too. Surround yourself with people that want to help you as well. If you have people that aren't taking your sobriety seriously, it won't last. I wish you the best of luck.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    @jaycich.
    Thanks for your thread. I'm going to a function this weekend with lots of alcohol and will post on Monday how it goes.
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Almost 4 mo sober. It gets easier. My decision was by choice to stop drinking so I think it was easier than if I was being forced or had a drinking problem. Good luck
  • healthylady88
    healthylady88 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Please add me. I'd love to talk to you.
  • jaycich
    Options
    Please add me. I'd love to talk to you.

I sent you a request. :)
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to hear things are going well. Congrats on your success thus far, I'm proud of you.
  • jaycich
    Options
    I am so happy to hear things are going well. Congrats on your success thus far, I'm proud of you.

Thank you very much.