Hashimoto's and gluten

I would be interested in hearing your experiences with gluten when dealing with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Has going gluten free really helped???

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited February 2016
    Nope. I've had Hashis since I can remember, tried the gluten free thing and eliminating iodine a few years ago. No change in my antibodies, or thyroid hormones after 3 months.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    My understanding is that claims of Hashimoto's having to with gluten are quackery.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    worddigger wrote: »
    I would be interested in hearing your experiences with gluten when dealing with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Has going gluten free really helped???

If you have symptoms of celiac's then you need to be tested, as havign one autoimmune disorder will increase the risk for others. Of course celiac's just happens to be one of them, there are several other disorders you are far more like to have with Hashimoto's. Still, trying to treat symptoms of one will nto cure the other. So, if you do test positive for celiac's, follow an appropriate diet. You will still have Hashimoto's.
    Here is a brief list of what else you could have or develop, if you really need something to worry about ;)
    Addison's disease, diabetes mellitus, pernicious anemia, celiac disease, dermatitis herpetiformis, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, systemic sclerosis, vitiligo, among others, autoimmune gastritis often occur togethe, autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura, antiphospholipid syndrome, autoantibodies against coagulation factor VIII.

• worddigger
    worddigger Posts: 79 Member
    edited February 2016
    @aggelikik
    Are you *kitten* kidding me? I am fully aware of the ramifications of Hashimoto's and take care of myself accordingly with all diagnostic testing. Are you a doctor, if so, you apparently have not completed your ethics courses. Give me a *kitten* break.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2004 and never had an issue with gluten.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

Autoimmune disorders can run together, so as someone else mentioned, if you have symptoms of celiac, get tested.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    I am newly diagnosed with hashimoto's. I have been GF for 2 weeks now. While it doesn't help the pain/weakness/hair loss... It DOES help me with swelling, reducing the hives on my face, bloating on my stomach, and makes it easier to poo. I told my endocrinologist that I went GF and he said that was one of the best things I could do to reduce flare ups.
  • rml_16
    +aggelikik
    Are you *kitten* kidding me? I am fully aware of the ramifications of Hashimoto's and take care of myself accordingly with all diagnostic testing. Are you a doctor, if so, you apparently have not completed your ethics courses. Give me a *kitten* break.

Dude, calm down. Nothing inappropriate was said. Doctors don't routinely test for other disorders when you have Hashimoto's. I've had to claw and fight just to get diagnosed with Hashi's, much less anything else I might possibly have on top of it.
  • worddigger
    @rml_16
    Yes, thank you, I am aware of that, and I do not have Celiac...
  • rml_16
    @rml_16
    Yes, thank you, I am aware of that, and I do not have Celiac...

Then going gluten free will not help you.
  • worddigger
    @ValerieMartini2Olives
    Thank you for your response and for adding me... Best to you on this new journey... My endocrinologist didn't seem to have an opinion on the gluten thing. Happy to hear alternative views. I have tested negative for a spectrum of things, Celiac included, though I do find when I eat gluten, it seems to trigger a bit of an inflammatory response. Still reading the research on gluten, a lot of information out there...;):)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    @aggelikik

Oh, it is one of those threads... You read some random blogs telling you would cure Hashimoto's by going gluten free, since apparently gluten free is the current fashionable cure for everything. Ok, yes dear, avoid gluten, it cures everything. Better now?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    @aggelikik

Oh, it is one of those threads... You read some random blogs telling you would cure Hashimoto's by going gluten free, since apparently gluten free is the current fashionable cure for everything. Ok, yes dear, avoid gluten, it cures everything. Better now?

My personal opinion is no it won't cure Hashimoto's nor do I expect it to. I just started synthroid. I need medication. What I don't want is the swelling and flare ups and I have noticed a major reduction in swelling since going GF.
  • rml_16
    aggelikik wrote: »
    @aggelikik

My personal opinion is no it won't cure Hashimoto's nor do I expect it to. I just started synthroid. I need medication. What I don't want is the swelling and flare ups and I have noticed a major reduction in swelling since going GF.

Some people who have had this longer than I have have told me that going low-carb has helped them. going gluten-free will mean you will have cut down on carbs, so that's probably made the difference. Also, you are newly on meds if you are newly diagnosed, so is it the gluten or the meds that is helping you?

In addition, you may actually have celiac (see previous replies). It's extremely difficult to diagnose and even if you have the antibody test and they don't appear, that doesn't mean you don't have it.

If going gluten free helped you and it isn't the meds alone (how are you certain of this?), then likely you have celiac and don't know it.
  • worddigger
    @rml_16
    I am very calm, thank you. I did not ask to be diagnosed with hypotheticals, I just wanted to share experiences with others having Hashimoto's. I find it a bit disturbing to throw around medical advice without even knowing someone's history or what they are already doing to treat it. Good luck with everything...
  • rml_16
    @rml_16
    I am very calm, thank you. I did not ask to be diagnosed with hypotheticals, I just wanted to share experiences with others having Hashimoto's. I find it a bit disturbing to throw around medical advice without even knowing someone's history or what they are already doing to treat it. Good luck with everything...

Your post was asking specifically for medical advice and we are sharing our experiences, as well as our knowledge based on research and doctors' advice. There is no scientific evidence for what you want to do. There has been research done and it says it doesn't work. There is no effect.

Cut out gluten if you want. I don't suppose it'll hurt you, but it's a serious PITA to eat that way. You attacked someone who offered you useful and well-meaning advice. One of the symptoms of Hashi's is, actually, irritability.
  • worddigger
    edited February 2016
    @aggelikik
    One of those threads? No, actually I never said anything of the kind, or as to what my situation is, what I believe or what I read. I was just interested in how people with Hashimoto's are feeling when they eat gluten.
  • worddigger
    @rml_16
    Oh, I see... If you believe that asking others to share their experiences is the same as asking for medical advice, than we clearly do not agree. Please just avoid the thread, we will both be better off...
  • worddigger
    @galgenstrick
    Thanks for your reply. Hope you are feeling well!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    rml_16 wrote: »
    Some people who have had this longer than I have have told me that going low-carb has helped them. going gluten-free will mean you will have cut down on carbs, so that's probably made the difference. Also, you are newly on meds if you are newly diagnosed, so is it the gluten or the meds that is helpin.g you?

Many of my family members have celiac disease and I wouldn't call any of them remotely in the realm of low-carb! My dad eats copious amounts of GF bagels, certified GF oatmeal, GF pasta, homemade GF pancakes and Belgian waffles, and all the GF cake, pie, cookies, and brownies my mom will bake for him (she's a phenomenal GF baker)! Then add in lots of rice, fruit, and ice cream. The man loves his carbs! :D I'm not saying this is the healthiest diet, but going gluten free definitely doesn't mean automatic low carb.

And yes -- I agree with you - eating GF is a major PITA! It's OK at home when you're cooking and handling all your own food, but traveling and eating out as someone with celiac disease is so difficult and fraught with peril!