Vegans/vegetarians/or trying!?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, or vegetarian for that matter, but due to preference I find my diet to be largely plant-based and only very few, very particular and very infrequent meat dishes. I find myself looking for ways and new dishes that help me achieve good nutrition despite my meat picky-ness because I'm tired of milk and yogurts every day whenever my protein suffers. So any resources of good vegetarian reasonable calorie dishes that don't contain soy or vegan specialty foods (too expensive and scarce to be worth it) I'm all ears.

I love the cookbook "Supermarket Vegan" by Donna Klein. I think there is a little soy (not much at all) but the focus is on recipes that involve foods that can be found at regular grocery stores -- no vegan specialty foods. Everything I have made from it has been really tasty.
  • angelaschnegg
    angelaschnegg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 6 years now. Want to switch to vegan but right now my priority is health/weight loss so if staying vegetarian makes that easier for me then I'll stay for now. I eat a lot of "fake meats" and find it hard to not have that constant hungry feeling whenever I try to eat healthy. Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

What do you mean by "eat healthy"? Are you saying the foods that make you feel full are unhealthy?

Hope you are not eating a lot of soy bc it is bad for you.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Vegetarian for 6 years now. Want to switch to vegan but right now my priority is health/weight loss so if staying vegetarian makes that easier for me then I'll stay for now. I eat a lot of "fake meats" and find it hard to not have that constant hungry feeling whenever I try to eat healthy. Would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

What do you mean by "eat healthy"? Are you saying the foods that make you feel full are unhealthy?

Hope you are not eating a lot of soy bc it is bad for you.

That's a myth.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I had almost a lb of soy yesterday in just one meal. Am I gonna die? :#
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I had almost a lb of soy yesterday in just one meal. Am I gonna die? :#

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I am positive that you will die someday.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Not if I have anything to say about it. B) I'm a supervillain for a reason, you know.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for twenty-five years, and my diary is open
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, or vegetarian for that matter, but due to preference I find my diet to be largely plant-based and only very few, very particular and very infrequent meat dishes. I find myself looking for ways and new dishes that help me achieve good nutrition despite my meat picky-ness because I'm tired of milk and yogurts every day whenever my protein suffers. So any resources of good vegetarian reasonable calorie dishes that don't contain soy or vegan specialty foods (too expensive and scarce to be worth it) I'm all ears.

I love the cookbook "Supermarket Vegan" by Donna Klein. I think there is a little soy (not much at all) but the focus is on recipes that involve foods that can be found at regular grocery stores -- no vegan specialty foods. Everything I have made from it has been really tasty.

Thank you! I will check it out for sure. It's on kindle so that makes it easier. Hopefully I will find some higher protein recipes.
  • ellenavegan
    ellenavegan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Vegan! Would love some buddies x
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    i have vegan powers

Are they useful powers, though? My powers seem to consist mostly of annoying people and making lame *kitten* jokes, neither are useful.

And farting.

My vegan friends can clear a room like nobody's business.

i fart so much it might be why i am single
  • courters123
    courters123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian! Documentaries would scare nearly anyone into it I'd say! Also read the book 'Eating Animals' by Jonathan Safran Foer which is such an informative book! May go vegan some day but I'm finding it very hard to get a stable, healthy enough diet as it is at the moment! Always on the go so unfortunately fast options and sugar products have taken up a great deal of my diet at the minute! Going to get back on track soon though! I plan to go travelling too so I don't know if Ill be a strict vegetarian then because I don't want to have to limit myself to new experiences when I'm away! In saying that, still a vegetarian for the foreseeable future!
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 4 years, although I have been dabbling in eating again. My diary is open
  • toronto88
    toronto88 Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a mostly plant-based diet. I cook vegetarian stuff at home and end up having about 1-2 servings of fish/meat/eggs/dairy per week (at restaurants, friends' houses, etc). You can add me if you want. I feel better and tend to lose weight more easily when I focus on shoving a ton of fruits, veggies, and beans into all of my meals and then the amount of animal products & processed foods decreases pretty easily and it is way easier to eat the right number of calories........better for the environment and me!
  • joycemfp8
    joycemfp8 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to reduce my meat intake, so right now I'm trying to eat vegetarian/vegan 80% percent of the time. Would love some mfp-friends around for support and recipe inspiration, feel free to add me if you like!
  • siltsu2014
    siltsu2014 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    (Pesco)vegetarian here, been for the last almost 14 years! :) I eat fish only about once a month. My current project is to eat more vegan food, you can do so much of your daily cooking easily vegan so why not :)
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    joycemfp8 wrote: »
    I'm trying to reduce my meat intake, so right now I'm trying to eat vegetarian/vegan 80% percent of the time. Would love some mfp-friends around for support and recipe inspiration, feel free to add me if you like!

SAME!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I so wish I wouldn't enjoy eating meat so much for ethical / animal welfare reasons. If there was a really tasty meat alternative I would jump at the chance, but in the UK I've tried most meat alternatives available in supermarkets and sadly just didn't like the taste. This was a few years ago admittedly. Since then we have simply changed how much, where and what we buy (eat less meat, buy non-factory farmed, local and organic), but I would still like to do more.

Anyone in the UK who can perhaps recommend any additions to the meat-free ranges in recent years? Any new brands or products? Thanks x
  • AshetteKetchum
    AshetteKetchum Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for sharing everyone, it gave me some insight.
    I currently still eat meat, but am trying to experiment and possibly get into being a vegetarian or vegan. My only concern is trying to make my macros, especially as a bodybuilder competitor. It seems challenging enough to get 200+ grams of protein in a day as is, lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated =] Feel free to add/msg me as well if anyone has some advice.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 22 of not eating any meat. I didn't realize it until I reached about day 6 and was wondering why did I feel so amazing. I usually have a lot of energy and a pep in my step but something was different.

I reviewed my food journal and realized I haven't had any meat during that time. It was not intentional since I was never a big meat eater anyway.

What an incredible journey this has been. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I'm reaching my protein goals everyday with ease and it feels really great.
  • charis_et2
    charis_et2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to reduce meat consumption and have turned to a more plant based diet. Still have the odd bit of fish or meat from sustainable sources and would love to see food diaries of other people in similar situations for inspiration :)