Protein pre or post workout or else?

Options
I purchased over $100 worth of merchandise from GNC last night and I want to use it efficiently and effectively

Replies

• misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me drink protein right after my workouts. He also wants me taking it in throughout the day but at least after the workout.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i do both. i do something like a banana and peanut butter before working out and then sometimes i will do a protein shake afterwards.
  • LieutenantJoker
    Options
    You should take about 20 grams of carbs about twenty to thirty minutes before your work out. Examples of this may be an apple, a piece of bread, etc. You should take about 20-30 grams of protein within a half an hour of your workout.

Don't listen to a lot of the guidelines supplement companies will give you. GNC's Wheybolic 60 will tell you to use three scoops per serving for 60 grams of protein. Save yourself the money (and the gastric distress) and use one scoop.

No matter what the supplement companies say (remember, they're trying to sell you things), your body cannot metabolize more than 30 grams of protein at a time unless you're a hulking 300 lb bodybuilder.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Depends on when your workout is, If it is first thing in the morning, I just eat simple carbs - piece of fruit or 2 - 3 dates. (per my trainer's advice and it seems to work for me)

If the workout is later in the morning or in the afternoon or evening, I just eat my regular meals and snacks (which have at least 15 g and 6 g protein each) and don't do anything specific pre-workout.

[ I also agree with LieutenantJoker - you're body can't absborb more than 25 - 30 g protein at a time - watch the calories in the protein shakes... I use half the recommended serving of my protein powder and mix with soy milk for a 20g protein shake]
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    All great information, thank you much!

I usually workout in the morning around 7 right before work. I go for at least an hour but it usually lasts for 1:45 (sometimes 2) with heavy lifting followed by a 30 minute run
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    You should take about 20 grams of carbs about twenty to thirty minutes before your work out. Examples of this may be an apple, a piece of bread, etc. You should take about 20-30 grams of protein within a half an hour of your workout.

Don't listen to a lot of the guidelines supplement companies will give you. GNC's Wheybolic 60 will tell you to use three scoops per serving for 60 grams of protein. Save yourself the money (and the gastric distress) and use one scoop.

No matter what the supplement companies say (remember, they're trying to sell you things), your body cannot metabolize more than 30 grams of protein at a time unless you're a hulking 300 lb bodybuilder.

Not quite true. You're correct about protein companies being shady and trying to sell you their product. However, the protein limit myth is being debunked daily. You can start by reading here:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

edit: Notice the references in his article, that's the important stuff
  • NYgeorgiapeach
    Options
    My nutritionist has me drinking a protien shake in the morning when I wake up, and one after I work out. She also wants to drink some during the day if I am having a particularily active day.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You can consume your protein shakes whenever you want. Whether it's immediately before/after working out, or 4 hours before/after working out.

It truly, TRULY does not matter so long as you hit your calories/macronutrients at the end of the day.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    To put it simply, it's irrelevant when you consume your protein, or where you get it from.
  • jmula
    jmula Posts: 38
    Options
    actually, It all depends on how much. if you are having a shake, it's a bit heavy, and may weigh you down. (my personal experience). I always have some branched chain amino acids, (pills), and 16 ounces of water mixed with a creatine mixture.
    if i eat. It will be a small meal consisting of a higher percentage of carbs for immediate energy.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    The time at which you consume the protein is irrelevant in the context of daily protein numbers. Total amount>timing.
  • jmula
    jmula Posts: 38
    Options
    My nutritionist has me drinking a protien shake in the morning when I wake up, and one after I work out. She also wants to drink some during the day if I am having a particularily active day.

most of my info that I look at, or recomend, is geared towards body building, and power lifting. but with any reading, i'm sure you can take a little knowledge and use it.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/meal-frequency-and-mass-gains.html
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    You can consume your protein shakes whenever you want. Whether it's immediately before/after working out, or 4 hours before/after working out.

It truly, TRULY does not matter so long as you hit your calories/macronutrients at the end of the day.
    To put it simply, it's irrelevant when you consume your protein, or where you get it from.

Both of these, although I consume most of my protein post-workout since that's also when I eat. Plus... I like the idea of the "anabolic window" even though it's pretty much completely broscience. :laugh:
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Both of these, although I consume most of my protein post-workout since that's also when I eat. Plus... I like the idea of the "anabolic window" even though it's pretty much completely broscience. :laugh:
    Same here. I'm always hungry post-workout since all I have beforehand is a protein shake after a 16 hour fast :O
  • Teemo
    Options
    Same here. I'm always hungry post-workout since all I have beforehand is a protein shake after a 16 hour fast :O

Gotta slam those BCAAs pre-workout, Bro!
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Gotta slam those BCAAs pre-workout, Bro!
    Yeah right bro. I take ON Hydro Whey before, during, and after training. Halfway through my routine I take 2 scoops hydro whey with 2 tbsp of BCAAs, and 10 minutes after my last set I take another 2 scoops hydro whey + 2 scoops Cell Tech (not to be confused with dat dere cell tech...maybe...) with 2 servings of dextrose WITH 2 tbsp BCAAs plus a serving of creatine. And sometimes, usually after leg day, I put thumbtacks in my post-workout shake, too.

Come at me, bro. COME AT ME.
  • Teemo
    Options
    Yeah right bro. I take ON Hydro Whey before, during, and after training. Halfway through my routine I take 2 scoops hydro whey with 2 tbsp of BCAAs, and 10 minutes after my last set I take another 2 scoops hydro whey + 2 scoops Cell Tech (not to be confused with dat dere cell tech...maybe...) with 2 servings of dextrose WITH 2 tbsp BCAAs plus a serving of creatine. And sometimes, usually after leg day, I put thumbtacks in my post-workout shake, too.

Come at me, bro. COME AT ME.

Nice. Hydrowhey is a good choice because the hydrolyzed proteins get them into your system when your body needs it most. Also. Aware?
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Nice. Hydrowhey is a good choice because the hydrolyzed proteins get them into your system when your body needs it most. Also. Aware?
    I figured the 'dat dere cell tech' was a dead giveaway.

Aware.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I purchased over $100 worth of merchandise from GNC last night and I want to use it efficiently and effectively

The answer is both. Have some protein and carbs before hand, during, and protein after although many trainers and nutritionists are starting to think that carbs post-workout aren't that important and should be consumed prior to and during.