Downsizing and living off one income intentionally. Have you done it? How did it work for you?

Options

Replies

• niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Both cars are paid off, no revolving credit card balance, we just have the mortgage and monthly bills that are paid. We're also able to put $$$ towards retirement and I am a stay at home mom.

We might eat out once every two weeks. Otherwise, meals are cooked at home and are healthy. We don't eat a lot of processed foods. I use things that are as minimally processed as possible, if at all. It saves so much money.

I'd like a smaller house with more land and privacy. Gardening and freezing/canning are my plans for this summer. It's also something that we can do as a family. Right now, the house is much larger than I'd like (who wants to clean rooms they don't need?!?!) and the neighbors are too close. We have 1 acre of land, but part of it isn't usable and I'd rather be able to use all of the property if I'm paying for it!

Movies are a rare treat, since my son has Autism, we only go to the special sensory friendly showings. I don't have family/friends, so having someone watch my son while we go do stuff isn't something that is going to happen. Special babysitters for Autistic kids with multiple allergies are just too expensive. So, instead we do stuff that can include him and often is free or cheap. New Hampshire has lots of places to hike and they are free!

Being home with my younger son (he's 6) is great. I missed out on so much with my oldest (he's 23) and I was working 60+ hours a week.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    My vote is to work part time, you never know what will happen down the road. At least this way, you have an income to fall back.

Put all your part time money in the bank. Treat your part time money as invisible money and put it straight in the bank not to be touched. Learn to live on one salary and buy a house not a mansion. Kids do not need to have their own rooms (until they are older - this is a first world problem), no tvs, phone etc in their room, that is being excessive.
    If you have a mortgage starting paying an extra $50.00 or $100.00 per month, you will be amazed at how quickly your mortgage gets reduced - make sure to let the bank know that the money should be going towards the principal - that is important.
    Any extra money you have put in on that mortgage, thats the monkey on your back and your goal should be to get rid of it as soon as possible. Most people do not realize that they may buy a house for say $250,000.00, but forget to add in the interest over the number of years, which can work out to over %150,000.00 as bank charges.

I paid off my mortgage over 2 years now; I can tell you the immense freedom that I have achieved from that burden. I started paying an extra $50.00, then when I could afford it paid $100.00 and was shocked at how quickly the loan was decreased. Forget about the mortgage tax relief, it is not worth carrying on a mortgage just to get a couple of dollars back from the IRS, which is your money anyway.

Cook everything from scratch, it is so much more rewarding and healthier. At least this way you know exactly how much sugar/salt etc is going into your foods.

My cell phone bill is $32.00 per month, I do not need an iPhone to make calls. I have a cheap Moto phone costing $149.99 and it does everything that an iPhone does. I get unlimited data and enough to make my calls for the phone. Use What Apps, its free and saves a lot of money. I call my friends all over the world on What Apps savings both long distance and overseas calls.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm just in the middle of a downsize. Sold my house last night for 'X' and getting something for '1/2X'. Like the idea so far. Will have to see once reality sets in. Cutting back on a lot of things.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This is all great stuff. I would like to get rid of cable. It is $110.00 a month. I am going to check into the Moto phone. That sounds like the way to go.
  • whouwannab
    Options
    My husband and I make the same annual salary, so if I didn't work at all it would cut our income in half. That may be a bit drastic. A part time work from home job would be ideal!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you do, but is there any way you can job share with someone (another mother at your work). One week you work 3 days and the other week you work 2 - that way both of you work the same number of hours.

As yous said, do you really need cable? $110.00 is a lot of money a month. How about Netflix or HULU. Get basic on your home phone, most cell phones carry long distance, so you do not need that on your home phone.

My cell phone carrier is Virgin, can use it everywhere.

You are going to have to be creative with saving money.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Check out the Mr. Money Mustache blog ...he has done incredible things ...also check out his blog roll which has many similar stories...including Dividend Mantra, a guy in his 30's who decided to step away from the rat race. He provides a very detailed blog including all his spending.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    After my second baby was born my husband left on deployment and decided I was in over my head with a newborn and a 2 year old. I "quit" my job, but my employer offered me part-time work whenever I was ready to return. I stayed home for 6 months.

After my third was born 19 months later I stayed home for 9 months and went back part time again. I've been part-time ever since. My "baby" is three now.

Part-time is perfect for me. It pays for my kid's tuition at a private school, I get to keep my career skills current, we paid off our house in less than 9 years, and we have a bit of wiggle room to enjoy some nice things.

It's all about setting priorities and focusing on them. Don't compare yourself to anyone else or you'll always be unhappy.

• indiakristin
    indiakristin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom. we have the minimum services necessary to keep a comfortable home. Sometimes it is really tight. However I love the time i get with my baby and its it totally worth it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Here's what I did-
    I couldn't stay home 100%, so when my son was little I only worked during school hours. I was there to put him on the bus and there to pick him up. I never missed a school party back then because I made sure I had a job where I could leave for 30 Mins to attend every class function.
    I cleaned houses and made it work. It was a way to still be there for my son but yet still bring in money. ( housekeepers make more then most think )
    Now my situation is different so I have to work longer hours but while my son was small, I made it work.
    I got rid of the expensive Verizon cell phones and went with boost mobile ( 30$ per month unlimited data and texts and calls ) so what I didn't have the latest iPhone but the phones still worked just as well.
    I also used coupons and sales for everything that I could . cook cheap and cook in bulk ( lots of rice and beans )
  • lindz4ever
    lindz4ever Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Im a full time stay at home mom. I will tell you it is very hard to live off one income. Sometimes we wonder how we are going to make it. We went along time with out internet and cable, some months my phone doesn't get paid. You really have to spend smart. I typically always put my needs last. For example I've only had one good bra and two sports bras for about 6months luckily I was able to buy some yesterday. Being a stay at home is mom is hard. I love it, being able to be with the kids, but I will tell you it's very very lonely. We only have one car and I lost all my friends when I had kids, and it can get very boring doing the same thing every day. If you aren't prepared to go with out certain things, not have allot of adult convos, or be bored I would not recommend it. Unless your lucky to have a husband who can afford the current life style you have and you have a car and friends with kids. Luckily for me we are getting a second car this week and we are getting to a great spot fiancially so things are turning for us
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. If you can afford it, do it. If you can't, then don't.

Don't make life more difficult then it needs to be.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Hubby and I both work full time. We have 2 toddlers. I don't think I would ever want to be a full time stay at home mom. I love my kids immeasurably, but I also love the personal accomplishments I've made at work and my ability to contribute financially. It's also nice to get 1 hot meal a day and talk to other adults. lol.

I do wish I could go part-time during the summer months, but that isn't an option. So, on weekends and nights I spend as much time as possible with my guys. We have the money to go and do which is nice. They get to do stuff I never did as a child (or as an adult) and we can experience new, fun things together.

I think there is value to both options. No one lives exactly the same lives. We call make it work to the best of our abilities and preferences.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Never had the luxury when the kids were still at home, but I don't think having us both working in any way caused us to neglect spending time with our children. You budget your time and make it work. My wife and I both worked 40 to 50 hours a week. Still made Sports practices, plays, music and dance recitals. Now the kids are adults and we still work and still make time to see our Grandchildren do all those same things. We never gave anything up and we never missed out on anything.

Every family dynamic is different, but I feel that if you give things up, you may resent it eventually. In addition, being with your kids 24/7 may take some of the "special" out of the time you are together. You can have it all, with a little budgeting and time management.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm a single parent and I don't get child support or government assistance. I drive a car that I paid off, I have almost no debt. I have a very old phone with basic functions. We don't have cable at home. We rarely eat out and only when we have coupons or free meals. We keep lights off, we keep everything unplugged until it is needed, we only buy absolute necessities. I learned how to cook big and cheap meals. I ask for gift cards for holidays. I did buy a house that's only as big as we need and it actually saved me compared to the rent we were paying. I don't ever go to the salon and the boys get their hair cut at great clips with a coupon.

Dave Ramsey has tons of articles about budgeting and living off a tight income.

In the same situation. Three kids over here. Not easy.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Dave Ramsey changed my life! Went from 2 incomes, 1 infant and a TON of debt ($60k including student loans, car, cc) and am now (7 years later), on one income, 4 kids, private school tuition for 3 kids, and NO DEBT!!

It can be done. Its not easy.....but ut is SSSSOOOO worth it!
  • whouwannab
    Options
    This is great stuff people!! Such eye openers and so many different perspectives and life experiences. So glad I posted. Thanks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My wife considered being a SAHM but ultimately decided she would go insane with that...not to mention she's always been pretty career driven and she didn't want to fully get out of the workforce as it can be difficult to get back in. She ultimately decided to work part time 30 hours per week.

This has required us to cut back on some things, but it hasn't been terribly drastic. We're both pretty frugal anyways...we never had a "keepin up with the jones' kind of house for example...all of our friends have rather large homes and large mortgages to go along with them...we bought a comfortable home of 1,800 sq ft before we had kids...we put a big chunk down and before kids we paid down on it heavily. We refinanced a few years ago and now we have a $650 mortgage. Since having the kids, we've considered moving and getting a bigger home...but the one we're in is just fine and still bigger than anything I had growing up and if anything happens to either one of our jobs I think we can still come up with $650 to keep a roof over our heads.

In regards to vehicles, we tend to buy them and generally own them for 8-10 years before buying again and we never owe on more than one at a time.

Also, things like eating out tend to be occasions and we eat mostly at home and brown bag lunches and whatnot. My wife did have to cut back on the Anne Taylor and other clothes/shoes/handbag shopping but it doesn't seem like it's been a big deal. We never watched a ton of t.v. but we were paying $120/month for satellite...we changed that to the most basic package they have and it's $50. We used to have a ton of magazine subscriptions and whatnot as well...we just had them because they weren't that expensive (by themselves) and they were somewhat interesting to us topically...but with the amount we had, $$ added up quick...we now only have a couple for the one's we really like and actually read.

Basically we went through everything and found little things here and there to cut out and it all really added up.
  • Melzine
    Melzine Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Down sizing is not fun or easy at first.
    The Rules: pay rent so u can have a place to call home
    Pay light bill so you can have heat/air fridge to keep food cold
    Go to food banks to get groceries that's what they are there for to help you get resources