What nobody told you about running.

Replies

• pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    adescut wrote: »
    How much of it is mental.

This. One of the most mental sports there is.

Yup. There are days where every step is a struggle. Those days are the worst. The ones where for whatever reason your body just doesn't want to do it. Your stride feels off, your shirt is sitting weird, maybe your legs feel tired or you just aren't breathing right. But you do it anyways. Those are the days where the most progress is made.
  • BanksySJ11
    BanksySJ11 Posts: 96 Member
    Runny nose and dry lips, I also carry tissues and lip salve!

How addictive it is and how low you feel when you miss a run....need that buzz!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    That there are runners out there that get super pissy if you mention you also lift... WHa?!
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    For me, it's been how easy it is to injury myself doing it. I have a relatively good basal level of fitness (my resting HR is about 45), but I've never been much of a runner. I went out for a few runs, and ran the best pace I could/as far as I could manage. The end result? Two seperate overuse injuries that have occurred as a result of not having sufficient musculature to support the impact of running. The former was an ankle pain that meant I couldn't run for two weeks (and walk down stairs for 1), and the latter is a hip injury that after 5 days of first causing me trouble shows no sign to ceasing.

I would strongly recommend, based on my past experience, to only start slow and pace yourself, especially if you're otherwise fit, but have not done much running. +1 for all those saying stretches too.

I am sure that bad technique has contributed towards to my injuries as well, but overuse was what really caused them to be real issues.

Exactly the same here. I've never had so many injuries since beginning running last Year. It definitely makes it worse when you have a high level of fitness to start with because your body wants to push harder but you haven't built up enough strength in the necessary muscles to let you do it without hurting yourself.

Having said that I absolutely love running and all the setbacks I've had along the way just make me more determined to succeed with it.

One thing nobody told me about was how when you can't run for whatever reason, you will feel insanely jealous when you see other runners out and about when you're not :)
  • caffeinified
    caffeinified Posts: 18 Member
    Just started c25k this week and this entire thread is fantastic. Yes to the runny nose and dry lips. And I hope I never have the toenail problem. So far so good.

I have to say, for someone who hasn't run in years upon years, I'm already surprised by what I'm capable of so far, even the early c25k sessions.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    After a while you can calculate mileage without a GPS. Take me anywhere I can run with my GPS on mute and I am within 1/10 of the mileage that I wanted to do.

With GPS on you neighbors will think you are crazy running back and forth on your street trying to hit the __mile.
  • watty76
    watty76 Posts: 12 Member
    Yes to the running back and forth to make up the final mile. I live somewhere v remote so no neighbours to watch, but my family find it pretty amusing as I wave to them for the 3rd time.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited February 2016
    arditarose wrote: »
    No one told me how much I would loathe it. Had to figure that out on my own. After running two minutes in my first and only 5k I turned to my friend and said "After this, I'm never running again". I pretty much stuck to my word.

This.
    Except that I still make myself run twice a week for 2 miles, because it seems to help with lifting.
    Not sure how people love it. Maybe I'll change one day. Or maybe there are runners and there are lifters.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2016
    jacklifts wrote: »
    No one told me how much I would loathe it. Had to figure that out on my own. After running two minutes in my first and only 5k I turned to my friend and said "After this, I'm never running again". I pretty much stuck to my word.

This.
    Except that I still make myself run twice a week for 2 miles, because it seems to help with lifting.
    Not sure how people love it. Maybe I'll change one day. Or maybe there are runners and there are lifters.

Nobody really enjoys the first couple of miles. That's the warm up.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited February 2016

This.

Nobody really enjoyed the first couple of miles. That's the warm up.

Man...it takes all sorts of will-power, listening to audiobooks and mental distraction just to get through those 24 agonizing minutes. I'm not sure how I'd go 4 or 5 miles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

This.

Nobody really enjoyed the first couple of miles. That's the warm up.

Man...it takes all sorts of will-power, listening to audiobooks and mental distraction just to get through those 24 agonizing minutes. I'm not sure how I'd go 4 or 5 miles.

It's headspace. A bit like meditation. Six miles or so of an evening helps think through work issues, plan stuff, work through challenges.

Of a weekend, out in the woods then the solitude helps ground me after a busy week of constant interaction.

I don't get that with other activities. Resistance training means other people around, cycling means having to think about cage dwellers trying to kill me.
  • luv2bowl6
    luv2bowl6 Posts: 62 Member
    I just started running and it doesn't matter if you are a beginner or experience when you run into another runner they always say hi!!! I love it!!!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    I was surprised by how welcoming and supportive the running community is.

This! I'm the slowest of the slow runners, without fail I'll meet a good runner who'll give me a thumbs up or say "good job", or "keep it Up'. It always leaves me with such a good feeling!.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    That your running clothes will start to outnumber your regular clothes.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    That your running clothes will start to outnumber your regular clothes.

It's funny how you'll still be unable to find a clean running outfit, anyway...
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member

This.

I feel the same way about lifting. I do it because it helps me meet my goals. But I never enjoy it.

This.

Nobody really enjoys the first couple of miles. That's the warm up.

Not true for everyone. I almost always enjoy the first couple miles. I only dislike it if it gets boring - running the same route or looping around the track is a chore.
  • bubble_wrap0428
    bubble_wrap0428 Posts: 88 Member
    Running gives me the best natural "high". It makes me less stressed and more energy.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    luv2bowl6 wrote: »
    I just started running and it doesn't matter if you are a beginner or experience when you run into another runner they always say hi!!! I love it!!!

Like when I got a motorcycle. There was this whole other world of friendly people, complete strangers, whose wave says, "Yep, It's great right? I recognize and support you."
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member

For your chapped lips - take a handheld water bottle that you can sip through the run. Check out FUEL BELT products, it's a light weight belt with 2-4 mini water bottle holsters and a pouch for things like power gels or a debit card/ID card or some chewable gummy candy or chap stick :) (About $20.00 CAN) Very beneficial
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    tri_bob wrote: »
    Deviating from the purely physical, I submit a roughly chronological list of adjectives that runners cycle through to describe running over time:
    • Hate
    • Tolerate
    • Love
    • Need (This is when the trouble starts.)

Amen!

I SO agree!! I would never EVER have thought those words would come out of my mouth, but need is so right.