Mcdonalds Coffee

Options
Just thought I would share... I usually get a large coffee with 2 cream at McDonald's. I have always logged this in MFP as 40 cals (which I assumed was 2 tbsp of the 10% cream) and it made sense. For some reason I decided to Google it and, I found this blurb on their nutrition site where somebody asks the question, "how many calories in a Large Coffee with Two Cream" and the answer from them was 160 calories!

What the hell kind of cream and quantity are they using to get this number!!

So today I prepackaged my light cream and ordered my coffee black!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This is why we generally don't accept "just Google it" as proof of anything without first vetting the source.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Directly from the McD's website states that a large coffee with a single cream is 20cals. Considering coffee doesn't really have calories itself, I would hazard a guess that a large coffee with two creams is 40cals.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Consider making your own coffee at home. .07 a serving. No tempting trip to a drive thru.
    Hundreds of dollars to be saved a year.
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is as per their Ask Us website:

i63.tinypic.com/ndrdbc.png
  • SuzieQzie123
    Options
    This is as per their "Ask Us" website:

gk88y8l3mddc.png
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    This is as per their "Ask Us" website:

gk88y8l3mddc.png

That data appears to be for their iced coffee, not hot coffee with creamer. Hot coffee with 2 creamers (no sugar) is most definitely 40 cal
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would point out that cream is not 10%, that is half and half, cream is 18% MF.
  • SuzieQzie123
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I would point out that cream is not 10%, that is half and half, cream is 18% MF.

So then even more complicated on how they get 40 cals since 1tbs 18% is 30 cals. I think I'm best just adding my own since at home I have 5% and so I can just put it in a little Tupperware and add it when I get to work.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

So then even more complicated on how they get 40 cals since 1tbs 18% is 30 cals. I think I'm best just adding my own since at home I have 5% and so I can just put it in a little Tupperware and add it when I get to work.

Their creamer isn't cream. It's half and half. Which is 20 cal/Tbs
  • SuzieQzie123
    Options
    Well that makes me feel better!! Here I was thinking I was mis logging by 120 per day and sometimes I have 2 coffees!!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    Time and again I have see shows where they test out the calories from fast food places to compare to their stated calories in their nutrition information. Pretty much all the big names in fast food test out to be quite close to their stated numbers, likely because they run on a small margin and cannot let their employees just add a little extra here and there, unlike sit-down restaurants where the cooks will often add a little extra oil or a little extra sauce to make the food taste to their liking which will throw off the numbers quite quickly. I would simply go by their nutritional information which is really easy to find.
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    We have a place called Tim Hortons up here and they do the cream/sugar in front of you as they make it. They use jiggers. A small coffee with cream sugar is one jig. A Medium is 2 jigs. A Large is 3. So if you ask for a "Double Double" (2x cream 2x sugar) it is multiplied by what they use per size. A Large coffee here has 6 sugar 6 cream.....

I always order my coffee black (when its -30c to -50c outside, I drink it black too), and a separate bag for the creamer/sugar.

fwy5kpy6f5st.jpg
  • BradWI
    BradWI Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When your iced coffee comes back completely white they probably used more creamer/half n half than the website lists. My local MCD had $1 large iced or regular coffees all summer and I had tons of them w sugar free french vanilla. But they always came back pure white so there's no way there was only 2-4 tablespoons in them - realistically I'd guess minimum 3+ ounces of cream in a large.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    BradWI wrote: »
    When your iced coffee comes back completely white they probably used more creamer/half n half than the website lists. My local MCD had $1 large iced or regular coffees all summer and I had tons of them w sugar free french vanilla. But they always came back pure white so there's no way there was only 2-4 tablespoons in them - realistically I'd guess minimum 3+ ounces of cream in a large.

I even do my iced coffee as McD's black no sweetener. The shear amount of creamer/sugar/sweetened syrup they put in them makes me think people are having some coffee added to their creamer and sugar.
  • SuzieQzie123
    Options
    M3ltD0Vvn wrote: »
    We have a place called Tim Hortons up here and they do the cream/sugar in front of you as they make it. They use jiggers. A small coffee with cream sugar is one jig. A Medium is 2 jigs. A Large is 3. So if you ask for a "Double Double" (2x cream 2x sugar) it is multiplied by what they use per size. A Large coffee here has 6 sugar 6 cream.....

I always order my coffee black (when its -30c to -50c outside, I drink it black too), and a separate bag for the creamer/sugar.

fwy5kpy6f5st.jpg

I think Timmies also uses 18% cream as well! I used to be an avid Timmies drinker but I now prefer the McDonald's coffee.
  • SuzieQzie123
    Options
    I also like Starbucks occasionally and love that I can get coconut milk as that is how I usually drink my coffee at home.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I went to French Press with the International Delight nondairy creamer at home. I can't even stomach Starbucks coffee anymore. But then, we're spoiled for good coffee here in the Bay Area with Philz, Blue Bottle, Eon... even our local indie down the street roasts their own bean. The chain stuff just doesn't stack up and isn't worth wasting my calories on.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I started making my own, even though I take it black. Just a better guarantee of good coffee, plus cheaper. I swear the Tim's at my uni is skimping on their coffee anyways, always tastes watered down.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like the newman's own special roast kcup and low fat half n half. The fat free half and half makes me cry. It's so tasteless. I don't know how you order coffee at McDonald's. Their coffee is great, but when I tell them I want a splenda and skim they get all dumb and confused. The aggravation of dealing with their drive through probably burns some calories, though. lol
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I used to get my coffee at McDonald's before the gym and I have to specify just a splash of milk, otherwise I end up with a cup of milk that has a hint of coffee to it. Ever since it's been taking them at least 15 minutes just to take an order -- with NO ONE at the drive through -- I have been making my own and taking it with me.