Buying VD gifts with "married" money...

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
Anybody else in the boat where all your accounts are merged since marriage and you both check them regularly? So any gift, you know exactly what was spent on the other...

I've resorted to paying my MIL back this year for something ordered off Amazon.

We usually analyze our finances and set a rough spending amount for each other (also done for mother's/father's day).

Replies

• kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    After 15 years, she pretty much just tells me what she's buying for herself..lol
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    kchuskey wrote: »
    After 15 years, she pretty much just tells me what she's buying for herself..lol

Although I'm "easy" to buy for, I wish we did that sometimes. However, most of the stuff I "use" I buy/sell/trade a lot on the internet though message boards/ebay (golf/fishing equipment), so any big gifts she gets a little pissed (rightfully) if it ends up as trade bait.

(that reminds me that I need to clean my Abu Morrum as its clutch sticks a bit)
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You guys exchange? Damn I told my hubs not to buy me anything, not even a card, that goes for birthdays and our anniversary. I'm just not a sentimental type of gal.

But if you're that concerned can you take out a bit each pay and stash it for the next Vday, bday or anniv?
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Kali2024 wrote: »
    You guys exchange? Damn I told my hubs not to buy me anything, not even a card, that goes for birthdays and our anniversary. I'm just not a sentimental type of gal.

But if you're that concerned can you take out a bit each pay and stash it for the next Vday, bday or anniv?

This. I mean that's what I do when I want to buy something for myself, so why not do it for her also. But TBH.. We really don't get to wrapped up in this sort of stuff.

We spend more time making sure our kid has everything he needs for said Holidays.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    kchuskey wrote: »

This is what we do too. This way we always get what we want and we make a date out of "shopping for it" so it's still got a romantic component. Takes the stress entirely out of holidays.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    Jan and I don't exchange gifts on Valentine's Day. Just cards. It's more about doing something together than giving gifts. This year I told her we can go anywhere she wants for dinner on Saturday, the 13th. She hasn't decided yet. On Sunday, I'll make her a nice Brunch and then we will go to a movie before I go play soccer that night.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    We don't do V-day, but for other occasions we usually do something small and thoughtful for each other to acknowledge the occasion but we tend to buy our own gifts for ourselves. Like for my birthday I bought myself a Specialized Roubaix Elite...I really didn't want her dropping any more coin on my birthday after that purchase...hell, I probably should have made that count for both birthday and Christmas. For Christmas I bought myself a nice Invicta watch that I had been eyeballing.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    We don't buy much more than cards because we travel several times a year, so our trips are our gifts.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    In addition to our joint bill account, we each have our own play money accounts. That's what I use for this kind of thing, however, we don't Valentine's Day.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    We share an account, but I'm lucky enough that he doesn't check it frequently. Some sites only say the sellers name (IE Amazon Purchase, $x.xx) but if he did, and it were somewhere obvious like Zales, etc., I'd probably just draw cash and buy something in person.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I would say gifts in general with joint accounts it is hard to surprise your SO.

I tried to give my SO a surprise 50th bday party and I charged an expensive item and told them to not charge until the day of the party. They charged the account couple days b4 the party my husband who is very in tune with checking our accounts asked me about it. I lied and told him I bought some expensive designer shoes ($700) I am not a great liar. Needless to say he figured out what I was doing and it really wasn't much of a surprise.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    We don't like surprises so let the other know what we want for gifts. This VD all I want is sex and TWD.

beeddaa6fe7f4aad8e22ad5bd9c9c0be.jpg

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    We don't really do V-day in our house either. I might go buy myself a new Pandora charm and tell him thanks ;)
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    We don't like surprises so let the other know what we want for gifts. This VD all I want is sex and TWD.

beeddaa6fe7f4aad8e22ad5bd9c9c0be.jpg

Yup. This.

• Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My guy and I also share accounts. I bought him a diamond watch, put it on my credit card so he wouldn't know what it cost or what it was, then I just pay it off.
  • thegirlinbldg8
    thegirlinbldg8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I always stash away some cash for emergencies and dip from there.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I told my girlfriend I'd just like to go out to a Sushi restaurant at the coast we have been to in the past. Let's forego the gift part and get some time together.
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    This is one reason we don't do the holiday gift thing. Personally, I prefer a date/movie/dinner we can both enjoy.