Never realised I would get so hungry from intermittent fasting!

Options
13»

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I do 16/8 and my eating window is 11am-7pm. That works well for myself as well as my other half, as he comes home about 6:30pm and then we have dinner. I think I settled into it really easily as I'm not much of a morning person and am quite happy having breakfast at 11am. Much like @gia07 I don't get hungry until I start eating...
    Some days are harder than others and just keeping busy helps me.

I totally second what @WalkingAlong said about it teaching you to recognise proper hunger. Maybe get some IF friends. Support helps. :-)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    They're not doing 'eating windows', they're doing 'every other day modified fasting' but the JUDDD forum at lowcarbfriends.com is a good source of ideas and support.
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=89
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    They're not doing 'eating windows', they're doing 'every other day modified fasting' but the JUDDD forum at lowcarbfriends.com is a good source of ideas and support.
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Oh, cool, thanks. Sounds about the same as Varady's Alternate Day Fasting deal. Looks like they've got a lot of chatter and tips going on there.

ADF is my go-to system now for cutting. Very effective, doing it right now.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Johnson's (JUDDD) and Varady's plans are pretty similar. I like ADF too. It's tough but I hate the incessant focus on calories 24/7 so I'll do about anything to avoid that noose.
  • FussFreeFitness
    FussFreeFitness Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Accept fasting is not for you and stop? It is not something that works for everyone. It would never work for me.

I have to agree with everyone what Aggelikik and everyone else is saying. If it doesn't work well now, it won't work long-term and it will be too easy to go back to old ways. Personally, I like just having a coffee first thing when I wake up and then I don't even think about food until 12-1pm.

It does NOT matter WHEN you eat your food. It matters how MUCH your average caloric intake is each week compared to the energy you're putting out.
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just hopping in here so I can benefit from the same advice. I'm starting IF as well, but I'm starting my fast around 7 PM and keeping it until 7 am the next morning. I know that's only a 12 hour cut, but it works well for me so far because I used to consume a huge amount of calories late at night and now I'm not. I decided to keep breakfast in though, and lunch, because I'd rather have the energy to hit the gym in the morning and fuel back up post-lifting, and then not get hungry at work and be tempted to hit the vending machine. Usually I eat breakfast, hit the gym, eat my post workout snack, have lunch, and have one more snack before starting the fast. It's worked well for me so far, I've lost almost 11 pounds in 3 weeks.
    I will point out though one guy mentioned ephedrine and I expected him to ripped to shreds for it, but no one really said anything. I don't think you seem to have this problem but I'll throw it out there in case others like me pipe up and follow the advice. I take phentermine (adipex) with a prescription under doctor's supervision because I have binge eating disorder and I was a compulsive overeater, and I never had the energy to exercise. If you need help controlling your appetite to relearn how to eat normal amounts at normal times, there is no shame in it at all. Keep that in mind. Appetite suppressants can be a wonderful thing if you don't/can't suffer through it on your own.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Accept fasting is not for you and stop? It is not something that works for everyone. It would never work for me.

This.

So if something is hard you just give up?

the benefits seem worth it to me, since I started this thread, I've done some research, and it sounds like you need to ease your way into it.

I am now thinking that my hunger is mental not physical, and wondering how many times in my life I've actually experienced real hunger. My stomach never growls or makes noises, and I'm usually choosy about what I eat (I can't imagine eating fruit bread if it was the only thing available to satisfy my hunger).

If I remember correct your profile, then this is something to be discussed with your psychiatrist. An all or nothing mentality and trying to follow things that do not seem to work because you started, might be a source of extra stress, leading to the opposite results than expected.

How is this all or nothing? I've tried and failed, so I'm going to keep trying, even if it means cutting back how many hours I fast, then building up to my goal. I have failed at weightloss for the last six months so I am trying a few new things that have worked for other people. I don't see how that's a problem.

If you think this thread is bad, you should have seen some of my earlier ones. Not everyone that tries fasting fails at it, and I bet most people that have success with it struggled at first.

I do not think you are doing something "bad". But, you might be adding stress in an already stressful situation, plus IF might not something that works well with all personalities or all meds. And if you keep trying and getting discouraged, maybe a different approach, assisted by a professional is needed? Maybe a more concrete plan by a dietitian, along with a plan on what to do if you have days this is not working for you? Or even a more structured plan for your entire day, not just food-wise?