back spasms

Options
2»

Replies

• lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    glad to see I'm not alone in this. It's discouraging when u are trying to get healthy and the body is fighting the process.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I had back spasms a lot back in the day. Strengthening the core really, really helps. As others have mentioned, make sure you're well hydrated and have plenty of potassium, magnesium, and salt in your diet (if you have no medical reason to avoid salt).

After not having them for a year or two, however, I've unfortunately been thrown back into them a lot recently. I had abdominal surgery and have been told to go easy on my abs for a couple more weeks. I'm literally feeling your pain right now. X( Can't wait to get back to my planks and dead bugs.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    how can I make sure I'm getting those minerals? a supplement?
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »
    how can I make sure I'm getting those minerals? a supplement?

Potassium and magnesium can be found in supplements. However, most supplemental pills are horse pills and contain a very surprisingly low percentage of your daily recommended intake.

I try to find extra in the foods I choose. Bananas, certain leafy greens, potatoes, and tuna and some other fish species have a lot of potassium in them.

A quick Google came up with this list of foods (which seems pretty dependable):
    https://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • roth5107
    roth5107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been having repeated muscle spasms (lasting about a week each and once a month) between my shoulder blades since summer. I finally went to the doctor and she thinks it is the result of too much forward head posture. Between studying for college, reading on my kindle and being a modern person with a smartphone, it took a toll. Physical therapy is helping. Hope it doesn't happen again!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you doing deadlifts? If yes, perhaps ask someone to check your form.

fwiw, I get a muscle spasm in my neck a few times a year. It's not fun. I'm doing more YOGA now, in hopes that after all these years my back and neck aches will cease.