A "situation" in the gym - how would you handle it?

Options
I would like to know how others would've handled this situation.

I go to a small neighborhood gym, very basic, but it got all the weights and machines I need. Since a couple of months there is a new trainer that NEVER re-racks after himself or his clients, never picks up his empty coffee cups or empty water bottles. I noticed but, hey, I'm not the management, I do my thing, and leave without saying anything.

Since the last two week the program I'm on (Size to Shred) puts me always after this guy. I didnt mind re-racking - it's not a big deal - but when it's again, and again, and again... So, last week after this guy was done with a barbell, he was about to leave without cleaning after himself and I, again, needed to use that barbell but didnt want to bring it from the other side of the gym. So, asked him politely if he was done, he said "yes", then I asked "would you please re-rack after yourself". He said "are you going to use it?", to which I said "yes". So, he returned and re-racked all the dumbbells and barbells.

Today, I needed to use the Smith-Machine, and, again, I happened to go on it after this guy. He finished with his client and leaves - with plates still mounted (light plates, I might add, but still). I ask him, like the last time, if he was done, he said "yes", and I again like the last time I ask him to re-rack. To which he replies "It weighs like a tampon, you take it off". WTF??? I said, "do I look like your butler, b***tch?" We got into a short words fight, where I told him it's disrespectful and as a trainer he should know better. Few minutes later he approached me and demanded an apology for calling him B* in front of his client, to which I replied that "if you be respectful to other members and clean up after yourself nobody will call you that and instead he owes me an apology for disrespecting me by telling me to re-rack after him" which I've done numerous times before.

Stupid situation that, obviously, got blown out of proportions. What would've you done?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Talked to the gym manager.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. He needs to be fired.

I agree, talk to the gym manager.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options

Well, I did mentioned it to the manager last week, he said that he knows and posted a few more posters (to dozens of existing) that "your mother does not work here, please clean up coffee cups and empty water bottles after yourself and re-rack the weights"
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tell him to go blank himself and let management know. he's got hella balls saying something "weighs as much as a tampon" and then asking for an apology for ANYTHING that comes after that comment.

tell management every single day he leaves equipment out and ask them to put it back for you to use. They'll get tired of racking his weights and then they'll do something more effective than hanging more signs
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »

Well, I did mentioned it to the manager last week, he said that he knows and posted a few more posters (to dozens of existing) that "your mother does not work here, please clean up coffee cups and empty water bottles after yourself and re-rack the weights"

Posters? That is so childish. How about actually talking to this idiot trainer?
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Is this trainer employed by the gym, or is he freelance?

Also, management should have been all over this regardless. Does manager=owner, or maybe the manager's slacking? In which case, you may have to go over the manager's head to the owner.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Is this trainer employed by the gym, or is he freelance?

Also, management should have been all over this regardless. Does manager=owner, or maybe the manager's slacking? In which case, you may have to go over the manager's head to the owner.

The duche is a freelancer. The manager just works there, not an owner, he's a good guy but ..... In theory, the manager should kick either me or the trainer out because otherwise why take the risk of possible future confrontation which could result in possible legal actions. The right business move would be to kick me out as I'm just one client while the trainer brings more money. But I dont know which is going to happen. Maybe neither.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Shove him into a rack of dumbbells. Duh.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options

Insist that management do more than just put up posters. There should be a code of conduct and the trainers should be held to it.
  • JayDam1
    JayDam1 Posts: 37 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Go to unload the weight the trainer leaves behind, and "drop" a plate on your foot. Wouldn't have happen if the manager would have enforced the rules... So, file lawsuit, and own the gym and make your own rules... lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1) continue to ask him to re-rack, but do a count off eg "this is the third time I've asked you to rerack", "this is the fourth time I've asked..."
    2) accept that nobody, ever, needs to use a Smith machine :)
    3) tell manager each time too
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Stupid situation that, obviously, got blown out of proportions. What would've you done?

If i'm going to confront someone, i wait until i have a solid case, like you did with the barbell. I wouldn't ask to rerack light plates, because that just looks like i'm going around antagonizing him over every little thing he does wrong.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think you two need to hug it out.

There was no need to raise your voice at him. And he needs to work on his gym etiquette. I've seen these confrontations in the gym many a time and it makes me uncomfortable to see adults behave in this manner. I believe taking the high road is always the best option. I mean, we're talking about re-racking weights here... it's not exactly a civil rights violation. Heck, I don't mind getting in a little extra work. If someone wants to be lazy, that's on them. Gives me the chance to be the shining example in this world. I'll show you how to re-rack these plates, son.

• Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I hear you... there is a guy at my gym who loads like 200KG on the leg press every.single.day... he can barely press that much and he has awful form btw.... And then walks away. He does this with every piece of equipment in there. So annoying. And he sweats like a dog and leaves a trail of sweaty disgustingness behind him. He wipes down with a paper towel, but never uses the disinfectant spray that is provided.

I haven't found the words yet....

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Yaknow that disinfect spray is ineffective right?
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    That guy needs his *kitten* kicked.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I think you two need to hug it out.

There was no need to raise your voice at him. And he needs to work on his gym etiquette. I've seen these confrontations in the gym many a time and it makes me uncomfortable to see adults behave in this manner. I believe taking the high road is always the best option. I mean, we're talking about re-racking weights here... it's not exactly a civil rights violation. Heck, I don't mind getting in a little extra work. If someone wants to be lazy, that's on them. Gives me the chance to be the shining example in this world. I'll show you how to re-rack these plates, son.
    So you believe in enabling? That bad behavior should be tolerated? Basically it's disrespect for other members in the gym. I've NEVER worked at a gym where it's okay for a PT to NOT rerack weights because it's bad work ethic.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    I hear you... there is a guy at my gym who loads like 200KG on the leg press every.single.day... he can barely press that much and he has awful form btw.... And then walks away. He does this with every piece of equipment in there. So annoying. And he sweats like a dog and leaves a trail of sweaty disgustingness behind him. He wipes down with a paper towel, but never uses the disinfectant spray that is provided.

You up to him and say "I'd like to use the leg press, but can't lift off all those weights by myself."
    I do it every day with guys who do this crap. They'd be annoyed if their mother, wife or sister had to unload it to workout and that's how you have to put it across to him.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sued0nim
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

You up to him and say "I'd like to use the leg press, but can't lift off all those weights by myself."
    I do it every day with guys who do this crap. They'd be annoyed if their mother, wife or sister had to unload it to workout and that's how you have to put it across to him.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'd like to think this is not a sexist comment
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks. You are right I should say something to him.