Who is lent/fasting 40 days for Easter?

Options

Replies

• babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious what everyone is giving up or if they are..
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't use lent for dieting. I'm religious!! I'm not sure if u all misunderstood.. I wanted to know what do u eat during this time. That's all.

Do you need advice or are you just curious what everyone does? If you're religious in your understanding of Lent, then you should understand that the Lenten sacrifice is between the individual and their God. Did you not read the Ash Wednesday gospel today? Mark 6:1-6?

I think you meant Mathew, and I'm not totally sure it is really relevant to this thread. She is asking for examples of types of fasting that people on these boards might undertake. It doesn't necessarily mean that she is doing so to gain praise. In fact, the only way we would know what she chooses to do would be if she told us, even then, I doubt she would get much praise. In order to meet the spirit of the parable outlined in today's gospel, she would have do something along the lines of saying "goodness, it's so hard giving up whatever!" or "20 days of no chocolate and counting! Woohoo! #Lent #Religious #Killingit #imthebestatlentandyounonreligiousfoolsbetterrecognize #humble"

The question is a valid one to ask on this site as many of us restrict our diet in other ways and observing the tradition my present peculiar difficulties. Example: Low Carb people limiting themselves to no meat and having difficulty meal planning.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    No, I don't give up anything for religious or spiritual reasons (aka Lent). I did give up the gym today but it was due to DOMS reasons, so I know that it doesn't count even if it was hard for me.
    I was raised Catholic but I don't follow many of its observances. Once in awhile I will skip meat on Friday's but only if I remember.
  • moe0303
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    It's such a simple question from someone who is curious about what other people want to give up for Lent. Answer it if you want to. Don't answer it if you don't want to.

I know, right.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some people will think I'm over-reacting, but Lent is a religious observation. It's not a fad diet.
    Off topic I realise o:)

Isn't it just the same as Easter and Christmas though?

Loads of us atheist people joining in and twisting the meaning to suit ourselves. I can see why some religious people wouldn't like it but it is going to happen.

No, it's not the same. Like, not even close.

Christmas and Easter have a lot of traditions rooted in pagan practices. While Lent is a 40-day sacrifice leading up to Easter, it is completely rooted in Christianity. While it's cool that non-religious folks want to participate, it is NOT cool to twist it around to equate it to some diet.

Cool or not people have the choice to use it as such.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Last year every single thread of this ilk was deleted because it is against TOS to discuss religion
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't use lent for dieting. I'm religious!! I'm not sure if u all misunderstood.. I wanted to know what do u eat during this time. That's all.

A good friend of mine is Greek Orthodox, although she doesn't observe completely. My understanding is that you all are required to do the vegan thing throughout Lent, right? Along with some other things, like olive oil? It sounded a lot more intense than ours from a food perspective.

But also, it's not for a while, is it? My understanding was that Greek Orthodox Lent is late this year, whereas ours is pretty early, so they aren't as close in time as sometimes.

Anyway, if you are curious, the current Catholic "fasting" rules are really loose. Fasts (sort of, not really, as the rules are loose) on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, no meat (which doesn't include fish, because of Latin) on Fridays, and whatever we personally choose to give up otherwise as a penitential and disciplinary practice. We are also supposed to focus on prayer and alms giving, and it's encouraged to attend daily mass (or do so at least occasionally) and to use any money we save for charity. Adding in or trying out new spiritual practices or reading or prayer is encouraged. (So as you can see little has to do with food -- back in the day it was much more about fasting in various ways throughout the period.)

And, yeah, this really is about religion, not Food and Nutrition, although lots of threads about Ramadan were allowed, so if one were talking about the efforts to comply with the Greek Orthodox restrictions or some such I can see it being permitted. Arguing about whether it's stupid or not or talking about the spiritual aspects seem outside the rules (although I don't see why it's considered divisive, personally, as I never thought the Ramadan ones were).
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for answering my question!!
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

A good friend of mine is Greek Orthodox, although she doesn't observe completely. My understanding is that you all are required to do the vegan thing throughout Lent, right? Along with some other things, like olive oil? It sounded a lot more intense than ours from a food perspective.

But also, it's not for a while, is it? My understanding was that Greek Orthodox Lent is late this year, whereas ours is pretty early, so they aren't as close in time as sometimes.

Anyway, if you are curious, the current Catholic "fasting" rules are really loose. Fasts (sort of, not really, as the rules are loose) on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, no meat (which doesn't include fish, because of Latin) on Fridays, and whatever we personally choose to give up otherwise as a penitential and disciplinary practice. We are also supposed to focus on prayer and alms giving, and it's encouraged to attend daily mass (or do so at least occasionally) and to use any money we save for charity. Adding in or trying out new spiritual practices or reading or prayer is encouraged. (So as you can see little has to do with food -- back in the day it was much more about fasting in various ways throughout the period.)

And, yeah, this really is about religion, not Food and Nutrition, although lots of threads about Ramadan were allowed, so if one were talking about the efforts to comply with the Greek Orthodox restrictions or some such I can see it being permitted. Arguing about whether it's stupid or not or talking about the spiritual aspects seem outside the rules (although I don't see why it's considered divisive, personally, as I never thought the Ramadan ones were).

• lovecriminal
    lovecriminal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some people will think I'm over-reacting, but Lent is a religious observation. It's not a fad diet.

Thank you for saying that...thank you! I'm Christian and celebrate it for spiritual reasons. So many people seem to use it for dieting purpose when it has a big meaning to others.

Yes, it has a big meaning - RENEWAL of ourselves

• Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up chocolate and crisps. So far so good!

It's definitely going to be good for me. I had signed up to do the BRITISH HEARR FOUNDATIONS Dechox for March, then I realized Easter is in March and not getting a Lindt bunny would be entirely unfair :p
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »

Do you need advice or are you just curious what everyone does? If you're religious in your understanding of Lent, then you should understand that the Lenten sacrifice is between the individual and their God. Did you not read the Ash Wednesday gospel today? Mark 6:1-6?

I think you meant Mathew, and I'm not totally sure it is really relevant to this thread. She is asking for examples of types of fasting that people on these boards might undertake. It doesn't necessarily mean that she is doing so to gain praise. In fact, the only way we would know what she chooses to do would be if she told us, even then, I doubt she would get much praise. In order to meet the spirit of the parable outlined in today's gospel, she would have do something along the lines of saying "goodness, it's so hard giving up whatever!" or "20 days of no chocolate and counting! Woohoo! #Lent #Religious #Killingit #imthebestatlentandyounonreligiousfoolsbetterrecognize #humble"

The question is a valid one to ask on this site as many of us restrict our diet in other ways and observing the tradition my present peculiar difficulties. Example: Low Carb people limiting themselves to no meat and having difficulty meal planning.

Doh! Yes, I meant Matthew. I didn't look it up and was going completely by memory. Misspoke.

I get what you're saying. She's not saying what she is doing, but she is asking everyone else what we are doing to fast. I told no one. No one gets to know. Not even my husband. It's between me and my deity. You can't just ASK somebody what they are doing for their sacrifice. It's not for you to know.

If there is a question on the rules of her church, then she should ask them.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Loads of us atheist people joining in and twisting the meaning to suit ourselves. I can see why some religious people wouldn't like it but it is going to happen.

Christmas and Easter have a lot of traditions rooted in pagan practices. While Lent is a 40-day sacrifice leading up to Easter, it is completely rooted in Christianity. While it's cool that non-religious folks want to participate, it is NOT cool to twist it around to equate it to some diet.

Then don't call it a Lenten sacrifice. Call it the 40-day vegan diet or whatever else people like to contort it to.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    No beer or wine for the next 40 days.
  • RBillard
    RBillard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    In the past I've given up alcohol for lent, and video games, as well as junk food. I've pretty much given up both alcohol and junk food for health reasons on a year-round basis so I don't think it would serve as much of a penance choosing either of those. My pastor has often encouraged that we take up something new in place of giving something up, so I think I'll give up my evening TV time and devote more time to reading.
  • moe0303
    Options

Doh! Yes, I meant Matthew. I didn't look it up and was going completely by memory. Misspoke.

I get what you're saying. She's not saying what she is doing, but she is asking everyone else what we are doing to fast. I told no one. No one gets to know. Not even my husband. It's between me and my deity. You can't just ASK somebody what they are doing for their sacrifice. It's not for you to know.

Yeah, but it's not a question on the rules of her church. That's what's irrelevant. If this were a forum dedicated to the betterment of people's adherence to their church, then both of your statements would be valid. But this board is more dedicated to people's adherence to their diets.

Our judgment of her relationship with her deity or church is not needed nor requested. If you don't want to share your sacrifice with her (or the world at large) then...don't. I don't blame you. However, others may be ok with it or with sharing ideas in general such as "You don't have to give up food" or "Here is an option that you might not have thought about".

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Sorry if my comment was inappropriate. I was confused about the fasting part, not realizing it was another term for abstaining from something. I just thought it sounded like a dangerously long time to eat nothing.

It's clearer now!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I don't think she's asking about the rules of her church (the Orthodox have very strict fasting rules that are spelled out). I think she was honestly curious about what others do during the season and if we had similar traditions.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Then don't call it a Lenten sacrifice. Call it the 40-day vegan diet or whatever else people like to contort it to.

I didn't call it a "Lenten sacrifice" In fact I didn't call it anything and said I wouldn't be giving up anything.

However people can give up chocolate or anything else they like and they can call it lent or anything else they like also. The joys of free speech. You can't tell them what to call it any more than you can tell the OP they have no right to ask people what they are giving up or eating.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I often heard the passage from the Bible Matthew 6 "But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face so that your fasting will not be noticed by men, but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you" or stated more plainly ... "That you appear not to men to fast, but to your Father which is in secret: and your Father, which sees in secret, shall reward you openly"

It's not Lent for me, yet, as I don't follow either Catholisism or any Protestant faith, however in my Chrisian faith fasting for Lent had some pretty specific foods to avoid. Some monastics would do a 40-day fast, but even they ate something (bread and oil, water, pickles). In my home the little children, the aged, and the inferm were not obligated to participate. And if you did fast, you didn't talk about it as the purpose was of a spiritual nature. Of course, the cook had reign over the family in this as well because if it wasn't placed on the table, you didn't eat it.

Very interesting post and informative thank you.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

I didn't call it a "Lenten sacrifice" In fact I didn't call it anything and said I wouldn't be giving up anything.

However people can give up chocolate or anything else they like and they can call it lent or anything else they like also. The joys of free speech. You can't tell them what to call it any more than you can tell the OP they have no right to ask people what they are giving up or eating.

Then I reserve the right to call them out on it. Religion is a sensitive subject.
This discussion has been closed.