For losing weight, what do you guys find most helpful to eat?

Options
I'm looking for some variety to my diet. I don't want it to be heavy on carbs, but I also want to enjoy my meals and snacks. Suggestions?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I ate before... just less of it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It is helpful to eat fewer calories than you burn.

Now of course you knew that right?

How do you eat fewer calories while still enjoying say a big meal? Just up your veggies. Soup is wonderful Full of loads of veggies and a little meat, some beans, peas, lentils, barley, rice. Carefully weighed out and portioned. I make big pots of soup and freeze what I won't eat in a few days. Winds up around 150 calories a cup, depending on what I put in it.

Load up the veggies with your dinner. Less starch but still include things like rice and pasta. Just control the portions. Use your veggies to bulk up the meal. Use herbs and spices to get big flavor. A smaller portion of something really delicious is more satisfying than a big bowl of something bland.

Want Pizza? Have a slice or two and toss on loads of veggies or just have a big side of some sort of veggie before you eat the pizza.

Want ice cream? Weigh our your half cup portion and then slice up a banana or some other fruit on top to make a larger portion that is still reasonable calories. Keep in mind that bananas are a higher calorie fruit and you still need to weigh what you add.

Last week I wanted some homemade fresh baked cookies. Now baking of a whole batch of cookies is just setting yourself up to fail right? Because who can stop eating freshly baked cookies right from the oven? Solution? I used the recipe builder to get the calories in the batch. I portioned out the batch into carefully weighed balls/pucks. I baked off the numbe I wanted to eat that day and put the rest into a freezer bag to take out and cook 1-2 at a time for future cookie cravings. The effort required to preheat the oven to bake off a few cookies for 14 minutes means I have to really want those cookies in order to do it.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good protein sources, good fats, and good (high fiber) carbs.

So, a meat/fish, and some vegetables with most meals. Some nuts and seeds. Some fruit. And legumes.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

^ This. If you're going to successfully lose weight and keep it off, you need to eat a diet that will keep you satisfied for the rest of your life. I was eating a satisfying, healthy, varied diet while gaining weight; I was just eating too much of everything. I lost 65 pounds by consciously eating less.

The only significant change I made was to eat less breakfast cereal, because I realized that 300 calories' worth of shredded wheat, raisins, and milk left me hungry by 10 am, while 150 calories' worth of toast with butter or avocado keeps me feeling full until lunch.

There's nothing inherently wrong with carbohydrates. In fact, most of the calories from vegetables are from carbohydrates. A lot of people use "carbs" when they really mean foods made with refined carbohydrates, like granulated sugar, flour, etc., but if it's not a fat and it's not a protein, it's by definition a carb. But as @shadowfax_c11 wrote above, veggies are a great way to get satisfying bulk in your diet without lots of calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    food.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat the same things i always have. just less.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me, eating very LCHF was helpful. It reduced my appetite and eliminated sweet cravings. Not being hungry every couple of hours was a huge help.

My meals revolved around a meat or eggs with side veggies and cheese. Nuts, pepperoni, cheese and pork rinds were my snacks. I just skipped sugar added and starchy foods and limited fruit. That leaves a huge variety of dishes and favours, especially if you enjoy cooking.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    A handful of almonds in the mornings. Has a way of keeping me "normal" and happy.
    Maybe the good fat, maybe the protein?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't eat everything that I ate before. Some things I've cut out entirely and some I eat in much smaller quantities.

For the most part, I eat meat, dairy (full or reduced fat and fat free only when there is no avoiding it), eggs, and lots of veggies/fruit. I eat either two slices of bread or a serving of oats each day. I, personally, keep my carbs in the 100-150 range most days, but that doesn't mean you have to. Different people like different things and different people feel better eating different ways. Just like some people like bigger breakfasts and some people eat nothing until later in the day. There's not really a right or wrong when it comes to the content of your diet, though there are choices you can make that can minimize muscle loss (eating sufficient protein) and help you have a better chance of getting in the nutrients that help keep you healthier overall.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Burger and chips...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Make a list of foods you enjoy. Portion and plate differently upping the vegetables to fill you up. Much as @shadowfax_c11 describes. I eat maybe half the portion of many foods I enjoy. I got used to the smaller amount. For instance I find that half a protein bar is just what I need as a pick me up in the afternoons.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've learned to make skinny versions of the food I enjoy. Skinnytaste.com has the most amazing recipes - has me salivating over food I never thought I would eat before. e.g. I had the most delish zucchini pancakes - mmmm... I get excited about my meals, which is awesome :)

Also helps me to pre-log what I plan to eat. I was almost about to make this one low-cal dessert - but when I built in in the recipe builder with my modifications, it turned out to be much higher cal than I wanted, so I didn't make it. I did discover that cottage cheese ice cream is pretty good :)
  • ADean3182
    ADean3182 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    elaineamj wrote: »
    I've learned to make skinny versions of the food I enjoy. Skinnytaste.com has the most amazing recipes - has me salivating over food I never thought I would eat before. e.g. I had the most delish zucchini pancakes - mmmm... I get excited about my meals, which is awesome :)

Just checked out the site - looks sweet! Thanks for the suggestion!

I agree - I do the same thing as in trying to make the same kind of foods but in a "healthy" or "skinny" way. One huge thing that has helped is making the right breakfast decision. I've had good luck with a protein smoothie, with a banana and PB powder. I add chia seeds so you feel fuller longer, and some kale. I really don't think about food until noon or later.

I love soups - and you can make a low calorie soup packed with veggies or other good stuff. I've been making this a lot (http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/veggistrone.html) and you can tweak it to what you like or don't like. Super good!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Anything I can eat alot of for minimal calories.
    I buy a TON of those steam in bags of broccoli...its 4 cups of broccoli for about 100 calories. I'll usually eat the whole thing.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I eat things that make me feel happy. It makes eating at a deficit easier to handle if I'm enjoying the foods I'm eating.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    food.

+1

Salads, cottage cheese, hard-boiled eggs, bananas, mango, olives, olive oil, broccoli, burgers, fries, beer, wine, ice cream, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I find it most helpful to eat a great variety of whole foods including more vegetables than fruit, more seafood and poultry than red meat, lots of beans, a few nuts and treats when I really want them. For me beans are a great help. They are so nutrient dense and filling for the calories and I love the taste.

This is my personal preference though because I think eating what you love most while focusing on a balanced nutritious diet is important.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Same... for losing weight the important part is sticking to the amount of calories that MFP has given you. :blush:
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and vegetables. When I say oatmeal, I don't mean the PACKET oatmeal that's been refined so many times it may as well be screaming to be put out of its misery, no. Get the big ol' tub of Quaker Oats Old Fashioned and cook it up. Honestly takes five minutes. OR you could use it in a variety of recipes to make satiating bakes. Just add fresh fruit, etc. Or frozen. No difference. You can't go wrong with brown rice and beans. Chicken and fish (we like tilapia and cod in this household for its macros). Keep a nice variety and eat within your caloric goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much what I've always eaten...I just learned proper portion control...my idea of an appropriate portion of food was massive. The only major changes I made was to eat a lot more veggies and fruit ( I probably only was getting around 2 servings or so per day at the time) and I stopped drinking 3-5 sodas per day and started brown bagging my lunch instead of eating out every day. Cutting the sodas made a big dent in cutting back on calories...also, my guess would be that my lunches out were typically in the 1200 - 1500 calorie range...my brown bag lunches are more like 600 - 800.

I eat a diet consisting largely of whole foods and minimally processed foods (like cans of tomatoes for sauces, etc). I eat a lot of veg and a couple servings of fruit...whole grains, legumes, lentils, potatoes and sweet potatoes, lean sourced protein, and healthy fats from things like eggs, avocados, nuts, cooking with avocado/olive/coconut oils, etc. I also go out for pizza with my family a couple times per month and I enjoy some ice cream a few nights per week for desert.

What's most important is establishing dietary habits that you can take into perpetuity...one of the biggest reasons people fail long term is that they view dieting as a verb and something that is only to be done short term to achieve a certain weight...but maintaining that weight requires changing your overall dietary habits into perpetuity.