how often do you weigh?

squidgy10
squidgy10 Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am obsessive about stepping on the scales (2-3 times per day). I know this morning is not healthy. Got my hubby to hide the scales but started to panic I was gaining weight so searched the house and found them! I can easily put on a large amount of weight in a short amount of time . What do you do? How do I wean myself off???

Replies

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    I do it every morning, one time a day.
    But you should consider; muscle and water weight can affect the number on the scale.
    I like to do it once a day. But not more than once... It could be discouraging sometimes when the number is higher so don't tortute yourself.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Torture
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    edited February 2016
    Well duh, if you're eating and drinking throughout the day your weight is going to fluctuate. Stop weighing yourself multiple times a day it's absolutely pointless and inaccurate. I weigh myself once a day but I also don't obsess about it and understand that weight loss isn't linear. Focus more on how much you're eating and the exercise you're doing instead of what's on the scale. Good luck!

Eta: spelling
  • 20months
    20months Posts: 62 Member
    Every morning for me.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Every morning. I don't freak out on fluctuations. Fluctuations are normal. Your body is not a static object and with so much happening to it every second of every day you can't expect to be a lower weight every time you step on the scale. Look at trends. Perhaps you should mark certain days to weigh instead of every day though.
  • squidgy10
    [qyuote="LBuehrle8;35451190"]Well duh, if you're eating and drinking throughout the day your weight is going to fluctuate. Stop weighing yourself multiple times a day it's absolutely pointless and inaccurate. I weigh myself once a day but I also don't obsess about it and understand that weight loss isn't linear. Focus more on how much you're eating and the exercise you're doing instead of what's on the scale. Good luck!

Eta: spelling[/quote]

Ha ha!!! I completely agree with the 'duh' comment. I know if will change through the day...I just keep checking to see how much by and then predict what my weight will be in the morning. I know it is pointless and just need to stop. I just wondered whether people stay on track more when weighing once per week only. Thinking of getting rid of scales altogether and weighing in somewhere else (chemist or something).
  • scottsull7
    scottsull7 Posts: 12 Member
    Once a day, every morning right after I wake up. I only record "official" weight when I weigh on Monday mornings. That's my milestone for each week.

I also keep a spreadsheet with my daily weigh-in that calculates a 10-day running average. This helps me to see the trend in my weight decreasing, but also helps me remember that a wild fluctuation one day doesn't make a big impact on that 10-day average.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    squidgy10 wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Well duh, if you're eating and drinking throughout the day your weight is going to fluctuate. Stop weighing yourself multiple times a day it's absolutely pointless and inaccurate. I weigh myself once a day but I also don't obsess about it and understand that weight loss isn't linear. Focus more on how much you're eating and the exercise you're doing instead of what's on the scale. Good luck!

Ha ha!!! I completely agree with the 'duh' comment. I know if will change through the day...I just keep checking to see how much by and then predict what my weight will be in the morning. I know it is pointless and just need to stop. I just wondered whether people stay on track more when weighing once per week only. Thinking of getting rid of scales altogether and weighing in somewhere else (chemist or something).

Honestly I do this too. I weigh every morning and that is the weight I record. But if I feel like it I'll weigh post-workout and pre-dinner (this tends to be my lightest weight) or after dinner. Like you, I try to predict what the morning will be. I usually lose 2 lbs from post-dinner weigh-in to the morning. But sometimes I don't, so it's not a science. If you can handle it I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's helpful for me to see the fluctuations, I get an idea whether I'm retaining water, or whether if all the weights line up maybe I really am not losing etc.
    scottsull7 wrote: »
    Once a day, every morning right after I wake up. I only record "official" weight when I weigh on Monday mornings. That's my milestone for each week.

I also keep a spreadsheet with my daily weigh-in that calculates a 10-day running average. This helps me to see the trend in my weight decreasing, but also helps me remember that a wild fluctuation one day doesn't make a big impact on that 10-day average.

Hey we are weighing twinsies. Except I use a 20-day average since folks were saying that's what hacker's diet/trendweight uses. I started with 5-day and there were a lot of fluctuations. My 20-day is consistently going down, and I'll be using that from now on for my official MFP check-in weights even though it might be lagging some of my real weights.
  • squidgy10
    scottsull7 wrote: »

That sounds like a good idea. I might try to do something similar. I have been to slimming clubs for years but don't want to pay for them as I was actually just paying for the weigh in..(lost weight and kept it off following birth of children...weight increased when I went on meds for condition)...I know I can do it on my own with enough willpower.

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    I just do it when it is sunny....
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I weigh every morning, enter my weight in Fitbit, and calculate the average for the last week every Friday. I'm in maintenance, but the same applies. I know I couldn't maintain without controlling my weight, and I couldn't continue controlling my weight if I were to wait a whole week and build up anxiety, and I'd probably not care as much about my eating when next weigh-in is so far ahead.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    I weigh myself every Friday morning. I'm strict on eating a deficit and eating whole nutritious minimally processed food M-F. Saturday I eat at around maintenance, and Sunday is my cheat day to keep myself sane and indulge. I usually weigh 5lbs more on Monday morning than I do on Friday. I know this is water retention from increased carbs and salt because I consistently weigh less on my Friday weigh in than I did the week before. Getting to healthy weight is good for your physical health, but obsessing over it is not good for your mental health.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    squidgy10 wrote: »
    [qyuote="LBuehrle8;35451190"]Well duh, if you're eating and drinking throughout the day your weight is going to fluctuate. Stop weighing yourself multiple times a day it's absolutely pointless and inaccurate. I weigh myself once a day but I also don't obsess about it and understand that weight loss isn't linear. Focus more on how much you're eating and the exercise you're doing instead of what's on the scale. Good luck!

Ha ha!!! I completely agree with the 'duh' comment. I know if will change through the day...I just keep checking to see how much by and then predict what my weight will be in the morning. I know it is pointless and just need to stop. I just wondered whether people stay on track more when weighing once per week only. Thinking of getting rid of scales altogether and weighing in somewhere else (chemist or something). [/quote]

Ah okay got ya. Yes I do weigh everyday but maybe once every couple days or once a week would be best for you?
  • mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    I weigh once a week. I use to weigh everyday but it was messing with me mentally. Once a week works well for me.
  • liv_namaste
    liv_namaste Posts: 10 Member
    It sounds to me like you weigh in when you get scared about your efforts and your progress. Maybe you could try substituting that with a different quick activity that will make you feel in control of your body and your weight. Then limit your weigh ins to no more than once a day. I was thinking you could do 3 sets of 20 jumping jacks, some lunges, run in place, push ups, pilates, yoga... etc... Just for 3-4 minutes. If you did that 3-4 times a day you will probably start to feel better about your body, lose a little more weight, and feel less manic about it.

I just had another idea, you could make weighing in a reward sort of system. Since you are kind of addicted to weighing in you could embrace it rather than fight it. Here's the catch, instead of just getting to weigh in whenever you want you would HAVE to do some sort of work out before. Any of the activities I listed above would work. That way, you're using your compulsive weighing in as a sort of reward for doing something tough. It will also make you think twice about weighing in when you're just feeling crappy and the urge is really strong.

Hope these ideas help!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Once a week.
    Any more than that is setting yourself up for insanity (seriously, 2-3 times a day? Stop it. That's obsessive and you're gonna give yourself a disorder).
    Weight fluctuates by several pounds throughout the day due to food intake, water fluctuations, pooping, all kinds of stuff.

Just weight yourself once a week and watch for a downward trend.

Weighing more at 6 pm than you did at 6 am is not weight gain. It's life. It's water. It's having eaten breakfast and lunch but not pooped them back out yet.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Once a week, Sunday morning. That's it.

Weighing several times a day is just pointless. It's just hydration fluctuations etc.
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    I used to weigh every morning for the first 6 months when the weight was falling off like crazy. It was a huge motivator.

Now that the weight is coming off more slowly I do once a week or every 10 days or so. That way I'm not discouraged when I don't see the scale move.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    once every Friday morning.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    I weigh every morning, enter my weight in Fitbit, and calculate the average for the last week every Friday. I'm in maintenance, but the same applies. I know I couldn't maintain without controlling my weight, and I couldn't continue controlling my weight if I were to wait a whole week and build up anxiety, and I'd probably not care as much about my eating when next weigh-in is so far ahead.

I'm the same way. I occasionally find a daily weight depressing, even when I know it's likely water retention or food, but if I don't weigh daily, it's reaaaaally easy for me to stop thinking in a daily sense about my intake and activity and keep putting it off.

Everybody's wired a little different.