Cottage Cheese in place of ricotta cheese for lasagna??

Options
2»

Replies

• browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    To each his own. I know of zero Italians who use cottage cheese.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,021 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would only use cottage cheese if you want to ruin your lasagna. I always use ricotta cheese. You can use part skim if you want, but never cottage cheese. It really makes a difference if you want the lasagna to taste right. I've never met an Italian who would use cottage cheese.

ETA I always use egg in mine.
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Amazing with cottage cheese.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I like it both ways! My mom always used cottage cheese, so I am used to it. I use ricotta unless I'm feeling cheap. Never had a complaint from my hubby. Save the trip...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    To each his own. I know of zero Italians who use cottage cheese.

Well, to be fair, I only know 2 families with members actually born in Italy. The first time I ever had lasagna with cottage cheese was as a teenager at a friend's house when his Italian grandmother was visiting and made it.
  • maforte40
    maforte40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hope516 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am not much of a cook and was wondering if it would be a good idea to use cottage cheese in place of ricotta cheese in a lasagna recipe?

Does the cottage cheese melt?

I don't even know if the calorie count would be beneficial I just have cottage cheese at home and not ricotta. Does anyone know if this trade would be better calorie wise, or if ricotta would be better.

any tips and advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm Italian and I can't get myself to use cottage cheese. My ex husband did and I told he would never make it again. I used the family receipt. Everyone has their own taste.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Equal parts,cottage cheese can be substitued. I beathink an egg into mine. Many many things can be substitued in cooking. I describe it as a physical change. Cakes and shuffles I describe as chemical changes where you must follow the recipe.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thowe92 wrote: »
    You can mix the cottage cheese with some parmesan, oregano, and an egg.
    ⬆️ Yes. I do this also :)
    I've used cottage cheese, I've used ricotta, and honestly I don't feel that there's a difference in flavour.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I actually can't stand cottage cheese except for in lasagna. It's how my mom always made it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I actually can't stand cottage cheese except for in lasagna. It's how my mom always made it.

I am exactly the same. I like cottage cheesw in lasagna for the nostalgia but also I think it makes it saucier, ricotta is too dry.
  • framingthewheels
    framingthewheels Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My family has always made with cottage cheese. I mix the cottage cheese with a little Parmesan and Italian seasoning.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    On the rare occasion that go to all the trouble of making lasagna, I use ricotta, but I really like cottage cheese with spaghetti and marinara/red sauce/tomato sauce/"gravy" or whatever you call it in your neck of the woods.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I like a cottage cheese layer when I make vegetable lasagna, so I suppose it would work for a 'traditional' one as well.