Dropping below 1200 calories/day?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    People on this website have some notion that 1200cal is some magically absolute minimum. at 1200 calories life is beautiful and everyone on earth rejoices but 1199cals signals eating disorder and a malnourished person.

"it has been around 7 weeks since I have lost anything."

This means youre eating to much obviously.
    Also you're probably not counting your calories right.

There's a certain amount of nutrients your body needs to function properly. Drop your calories too low and you're not eating enough to get those nutrients.

VLCD aren't just a bad idea, they're unsafe.

so 1199 is VLCD and 1200 is moderate and safe

cool story bro
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    People on this website have some notion that 1200cal is some magically absolute minimum. at 1200 calories life is beautiful and everyone on earth rejoices but 1199cals signals eating disorder and a malnourished person.

There's a certain amount of nutrients your body needs to function properly. Drop your calories too low and you're not eating enough to get those nutrients.

cool story bro

1200 is an estimated lowest recommended number. 99% of people should not go under that for their body to function properly, and most will need more instead, even for losing weight. There are people that can safely go under that, but they're very small people and even then, I wouldn't recommend it without them first talking with their doctor.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

cool story bro

Where did I say that?

Cool strawman bro.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    If all your numbers are correct, you should have lost fat. It could be you are unusual and you burn less calories than most other people, or, far more likely, you need to tighten up on your logging as it is far more likely you are not in a deficit overall. Either you are measuring wrong someplace, using and incorrect food entry, or are having enough days where you are over that along with the built in range of error in calories, you are eating away your deficit.

What are your weekly numbers like. That may give a better indication than daily numbers assuming you track everything. It will show what your overall weekly deficit is at and how much those days you say you eat more food are affect that overall total.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    allysar wrote: »
    Thanks @synacious your photos are inspirational! I have added resistance bands to my regular cardio/strength and I love them. I knew it would get harder as I got closer I am just grinding to a halt! I have adjusted to 0.5/wk and will see how that works for me for a month or so.

As an aside, 0.5lb/week may be difficult to see through the routine weight fluctuations in a month, especially if not weighing daily. I still agree that that's a better approach under the circumstances, if your goal is truly "to look and feel your best" by your 50th b-day in 6 weeks. Strong, energetic & healthy is a great way to feel, and I wouldn't think you'd want to risk missing that part of the results just to lose a tiny number of extra pounds by then.

(I'm 5'5", CW around 122, and very glad that I slowed my loss rate in the later stages. I tried 1200 net with workouts briefly en route, and the resulting fatigue was Not Worth It.)
  • allysar
    allysar Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ericGold15 wrote: »
    Seriously, at 120 grams/day I am stuffed!!!
    That is around double a reasonable amount

Can you cite some sources for this information? Most information and studies I've seen point at .6-1.2 grams of protein per lb of lean mass and some resistance training for people on a restricted calorie diet in order to preserve lean mass during the period of loss. Otherwise losses will come from lean mass as well as fat.

Yes, this! At 0.8 grams/lb of total body weight (not lean mass) it gives me right around 100g of protein/day. I have been averaging around 90. Honestly, that is about all I can stomach, even with protein shakes and such added in.

Thank you for your thoughts!
  • allysar
    Options
    Do you use anything but the scale to measure your progress?

The measuring tape hasn't shown much change but my jeans fit better now. ;)
  • allysar
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Thanks @synacious your photos are inspirational! I have added resistance bands to my regular cardio/strength and I love them. I knew it would get harder as I got closer I am just grinding to a halt! I have adjusted to 0.5/wk and will see how that works for me for a month or so.

As an aside, 0.5lb/week may be difficult to see through the routine weight fluctuations in a month, especially if not weighing daily. I still agree that that's a better approach under the circumstances, if your goal is truly "to look and feel your best" by your 50th b-day in 6 weeks. Strong, energetic & healthy is a great way to feel, and I wouldn't think you'd want to risk missing that part of the results just to lose a tiny number of extra pounds by then.

(I'm 5'5", CW around 122, and very glad that I slowed my loss rate in the later stages. I tried 1200 net with workouts briefly en route, and the resulting fatigue was Not Worth It.)

Thank you....Valid points! It is good to hear from someone similar in size. I do feel great, honestly! (way better than I should at my age ;) ) I am not totally depressed or distraught over the whole thing I just want to continue to make progress, you know? I have made good changes over the past few months. I feel terrific and am getting stronger. I just have this place I would like to be and want to take advantage of the experience here to help me get there!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I'm also of the mindset that slow and steady loss while giving yourself enough calories (energy) and nutrients (macros/micros) to enjoy life while reaching your goals is important. At 5'4 and 128 lbs and having lost almost 20 lbs since August you are doing great and probably look fantastic! I really think aiming for the 0.5 lb/week goal, focusing on strength training will get you the results you want even if it isn't the ultimate scale weight you were aiming for. In fact you may want to look into recomposition while maintaining your current weight, it is slow but the results in body composition from those who are successful are very impressive. There is a great thread here on recomposition that may give you some pictures for reference.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh also for what it's worth, I'm 5'2, 41, and started at about 153. My initial goal weight was 125 which I reached, but then tried for 120 and just couldn't seem to get there. I decided I was tired of the deficit and moved myself to a maintenance range of 123 +/- 2 lbs. that gave me some extra calories but more importantly the ability to roll with the natural fluctuations in my weight without getting discouraged. The funny thing is once I took that pressure off, I sort of of settled into the lower end of that range and for the last few weeks I've been weighing in at 119!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    Do you use anything but the scale to measure your progress?

The measuring tape hasn't shown much change but my jeans fit better now. ;)

Measuring tapes tend to only be useful over say 4 week periods, however, if your jeans are fitting better that is a good thing.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go any lower with the calories....maybe change up your workout routine, add weight, add reps, add time....anything to surprise your body into working harder again...or....you could lay off the logging and exercise for a week or two, and start over. I find whenever I walk away, I come back twice as strong, with twice the endurance needed to burn more fat...Good luck! It sounds like you've got it down pretty good, 19 lbs since August is an amazing achievement! xo
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I was mainly asking that question of that particular user because their profile states that they are a doctor and they were seemingly recommending a 1000kcal intake for OP
    I recommend that dieters take in adequate nutrients of protein, vitamins and trace minerals and eat a varied diet. Try to not misconstrue what I write.

I have posted links to the medical literature before regarding protein intake in healthy, active young people before:
    1. At 0.5 grams/Kg*day, 50% enter into a negative nitrogen balance
    2. At 0.6 grams/Kg*day, 30% enter into a negative nitrogen balance
    3. At 0.8-0.9 grams/Kg*day, non enter into a negative nitrogen balance

I personally shoot for around 1 gram/Kg*day, knowing that it is more than needed but it is not going to cause any harm. I certainly do not worry if I eat less. Body builders (not just 'lifters', but people who go through e.g. bulk/cut regimens) are a different story.

• allysar
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Oh also for what it's worth, I'm 5'2, 41, and started at about 153. My initial goal weight was 125 which I reached, but then tried for 120 and just couldn't seem to get there. I decided I was tired of the deficit and moved myself to a maintenance range of 123 +/- 2 lbs. that gave me some extra calories but more importantly the ability to roll with the natural fluctuations in my weight without getting discouraged. The funny thing is once I took that pressure off, I sort of of settled into the lower end of that range and for the last few weeks I've been weighing in at 119!

Thank you, so much! What a great post and very encouraging. I will refocus my efforts and I hope to end up with results like yours!