Day 1...

Options
Today is my first day on the 5:2 diet. I've started a group called, believe it or not, 5:2 diet. I'm hoping that by doing this I will be able to give people inspiration and visa versa. I've tried every diet under the sun!! From total food replacement to slimming world and beyond. So- being 31 and well into the obese category on the BMI scale I've decided this is it. This is going to be the beginning of a new me. To fit into pretty summer dresses (even if it's next winter by the time I can fit in them. I WILL wear them! Lol) to feel healthy and gain more energy.
So, I'm hoping to hear from people who have positive experiences with the 5:2 diet and any tips and advise would be gratefully welcomed!

Replies

• dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Is this eating normally 5 days, then limiting on the other 2?
  • missbrindley
    missbrindley Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi dotti1121, yeah 5 days eating normally...so healthy with a few treats and on 2 of the days of the week you can't have more than 500 calories. I've started today-so this is my first fast day...why I chose a Friday I'm not sure. .think it was a strike whilst the irons hot !lol xx
  • dotti1121
    Options
    Are your 500 calories restricted to certain things?
  • missbrindley
    Options
    dotti1121, the 500 calories aren't restricted to certain foods- for example if you really wanted something like a glass of wine you could. So long as you don't go over the 500 cals. But I think that as the diet progresses over time you learn to eat foods that are more filling for longer so you don't feel hungry.. as you know, the next day you can have that glass of wine without worrying or feeling anxious about drinking it or having the feeling of "going off the diet". I'm still learning myself and I've bought a lot of literature and recipe books about it.. as soon as I know more I will up date you. :smile: x
  • dotti1121
    Options
    Interesting! Are the 5 and 2 days consecutive? Or do you switch them up however you want?
  • missbrindley
    Options
    You can switch them up however you want.. for example I'm going to fast Fridays and Mondays. But if next week something comes up, like we go away for a long weekend, il just change them to another day. The only thing you can't do is 2 days fasting consecutively. That's the beauty of this diet. ..it works around you.
  • dotti1121
    Options
    Sounds neat!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    mrseadon wrote: »
    Hi dotti1121, yeah 5 days eating normally...so healthy with a few treats and on 2 of the days of the week you can't have more than 500 calories. I've started today-so this is my first fast day...why I chose a Friday I'm not sure. .think it was a strike whilst the irons hot !lol xx

Why not just hit a sustainable calorie goal each day? Do you really want to live the rest of your life with two days a week where you starve yourself?
  • dotti1121
    Options
    No lol
  • missbrindley
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Why not just hit a sustainable calorie goal each day? Do you really want to live the rest of your life with two days a week where you starve yourself?

Hi Waffle, in response to your comment, I thought the same originally.. However after some research actually fasting for 2 days a week has many other scientifically proven positive effects on the body. It allows your body to heal rather than working on cells multiplying, giving your body chance to heal. Research has shown calorie restriction of up to 40 percent fewer calories than normal to have an impressive positive effect on disease, markers of aging, and, even life span.

Theres a link below that explains this better than me... theres loads of info on here and especially if you watch the horizon documentary on this.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/599982/intermittent-fasting-faq#latest
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    mrseadon wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Hi Waffle, in response to your comment, I thought the same originally.. However after some research actually fasting for 2 days a week has many other scientifically proven positive effects on the body. It allows your body to heal rather than working on cells multiplying, giving your body chance to heal. Research has shown calorie restriction of up to 40 percent fewer calories than normal to have an impressive positive effect on disease, markers of aging, and, even life span.

Theres a link below that explains this better than me... theres loads of info on here and especially if you watch the horizon documentary on this.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/599982/intermittent-fasting-faq#latest

Sounds like some misinterpreted studies to me.
  • missbrindley
    Options
    I like the fact that we question things... keeps my brain active I guess. People tend to do weight loss programmes that they find easiest. This one I like the idea of to be honest.
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've done IF but the 16/8 version. 16 hours fasted, 8 hours eating period. It's definitely been my favorite way of eating since I'm not hungry in the AM. If I'm craving something early, I'll eat something small (fruit, boiled egg, jerkey, etc.). I think you'll find that it'll be hard at first but pretty easy habit to maintain. I like the 16/8 because I get to indulge everyday and the only sacrifice I make is skipping breakfast.