Need help with calculating eggs, please. :)

Options
Morglez
Morglez Posts: 46 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Is there a way to figure out how many calories there is per gram of raw egg? I want to weigh my eggs before I scramble them because I get them from my chickens, so they are different sizes on a daily basis. When I weighed them I got 10.6g for 2 eggs, without the shell. MFP told me that it was only 15 calories for 10.6g. Is it just me or does that seem way too low? Am I supposed to weigh them in the shell? My diary is open if you want to see which egg entry I chose that gave me 15 calories.

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add: I just had the thought that it would be quite handy if I could just scan my chickens butts to enter their eggs into MFP, lol. ;)

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There is a USDA entry for raw eggs. I weigh my eggs in the shell before I cook them and then weigh the shell and subtract and then log the resulting number.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/112
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I get farm eggs and they are also random sizes. I use the entry for 1-large egg which is about 80 cals. The whites alone are about 15/each.

The difference in size in minuscule between eggs I would t stress about weighing them unless you are eating a dozen at a time.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It's never going to be 100% accurate because the yolk size varies per egg and the yolk is higher calories than the white. I suppose you could separate and log them separately, but I'd just go with the general size entries (large, extra large, etc.)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Morglez wrote: »
    Is there a way to figure out how many calories there is per gram of raw egg? I want to weigh my eggs before I scramble them because I get them from my chickens, so they are different sizes on a daily basis. When I weighed them I got 10.6g for 2 eggs, without the shell.

your scales are out massively. A hen egg weighs around 70g
  • GettingThere62
    GettingThere62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    10.6g would be a couple of teaspoons! Either you have misread it and it was 106g or your scale is faulty.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I get farm eggs and they are also random sizes.

Me too, but I weigh them in a bowl (no shell) while making my omelet.

OP, I use the "eggs, whole, raw" entry, which is based on the USDA information and has a 100 g option. 15 calories for around 10 g sounds right for that amount, but not for 2 eggs. I had 150 calories for 102 grams this morning for 2 eggs.
  • Morglez
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    your scales are out massively. A hen egg weighs around 70g

Actually my scale is fine, it was user error.... I just figured out what I did. I am apparently not awake enough yet when fixing my breakfast, lol. Instead of 10.6g it was most likely showing me 106g. I just went and weighed another egg in the shell and got about 60g. Clearly I need to pay more attention when I am weighing my food!
    Thanks everyone for the replies! :)
  • Morglez
    Options
    leeandjon wrote: »
    10.6g would be a couple of teaspoons! Either you have misread it and it was 106g or your scale is faulty.

I misread it. DOH! I feel so silly now, lol.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options

If you're dealing with multiple numbers of random sizes, just weigh all of them together, deduct a few grams for the shells and log them by combined weight as per the chart. I.e. 42g combined weight = one medium, 61g = one jumbo, etc.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

If you're dealing with multiple numbers of random sizes, just weigh all of them together, deduct a few grams for the shells and log them by combined weight as per the chart. I.e. 42g combined weight = one medium, 61g = one jumbo, etc.

Why would I do that when I can just weigh all of the eggs and then weigh all of the shells or just break the eggs into a dish and weigh them together and log an exact gram weight? 41(60 calories) grams is not the same as 61(90 calories) grams. That is a difference of 30 calories. But I guess it depends on how accurate you are trying to get.

I get eggs from a friends farm. SOmetimes the eggs are from guinea hens which are very small and there is no entry for a guinea hen egg. However there is an entry, in grams for quail eggs which I also enjoy from time to time. .
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you get a double yolk egg?
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I count it as 2 eggs because most of the calories is in the fat. It could also be 1 egg + 1 yolk.