the evil of sugar

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I'm thinking sugar is not evil after all. Yes!!

no, not naturally ocurring sugars in fruit that also come with a side of micronutrients. however refined sugar such as high fructose corn syrup - poisenous to our bodies.
    Another pseudo documentary ...

if you watch the doc, i think you will find that it is not based on pseudo science.

Your claim that refined sugar is poison, a fallacy, only furthers how inaccurate the film is.

i should have said refined sugar, i am not referring to naturally ocurring sugars that are found in fruit or just about any other whole food. please explain how this is inaccurate?

Fructose is fructose, glucose is glucose, lactose is lactose, sucrose is sucrose ... chemically identical no matter the source and processed identically by the body no matter the source. Claiming that sugar from source X is fine while from source Y is poison is false.

sugars that occur naturally do not occur alone, they are found in foods that have protein and fibre in them which affect the way the sugar is metabolised - they slow the absorption down so the body can react efficiently. refined sugar comes with no such buffers, and spike insulin quickly - unnatural and very harmful. they might chemically be the same, but they are processed differently in the body.

All I can do is shake my head and hope you learn how to vet sources. Believing pseudo-documentaries is bad enough ... spreading their misconceptions requires people take their valuable time to correct you.

Protein spikes insulin without refined sugar present. So much for that flawed position.
    Refined sugars are in fact natural coming from these things called plants. There goes another misstatement from you.

they are called refined because they go through a process of refining - it comes from plants but it is then processed, hence the name. it does not just come straight from the plant without processing involved that strips it down to its basic molecule.

protein slows the absorption of sugar down in the body - fact.

if you think that refined sugar is anything but bad for our health, you are the one spreading some dangerous misconceptions.

Digestion does the same thing as what you claim refining does.

Protein spikes insulin ... fiber slows absorption.

The content of your own posts undermines your position. You've conceded the sugars are identical then claimed other factors impact how rapidly those identical molecules are absorbed. Ergo, the molecule isn't the issue.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I'm waiting for Mercola ... that quack always gets used as a source in these types of threads.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for Mercola ... that quack always gets used as a source in these types of threads.

here

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html
  • slowandsteady44
    slowandsteady44 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

processed sugar has no nutritional value whatsoever, and has been proven to be harmful to our health. you seem to equate weight to health, and while its true if you are overweight you are at a higher risk of certain cancers/diabetes/disease, being slim and not going over your daily calorie amount yet still having a diet high in refined sugar can lead to internal fat on the liver and other vital organs, and hypertension. you may not be fat, but you are still unhealthy. a poison is defined as something that causes harm to your health. i think sugar is a poison, i will agree to disagree with you. goodnight.

• brianpperkins
    Options

processed sugar has no nutritional value whatsoever, and has been proven to be harmful to our health. you seem to equate weight to health, and while its true if you are overweight you are at a higher risk of certain cancers/diabetes/disease, being slim and not going over your daily calorie amount yet still having a diet high in refined sugar can lead to internal fat on the liver and other vital organs, and hypertension. you may not be fat, but you are still unhealthy. a poison is defined as something that causes harm to your health. i think sugar is a poison, i will agree to disagree with you. goodnight.

There is no proof which is why the fear mongering crowd like Mercola are easily rebuffed. "I think" is an indicator that even you know there is no proof of your claims.

• slowandsteady44
    Options

There is no proof which is why the fear mongering crowd like Mercola are easily rebuffed. "I think" is an indicator that even you know there is no proof of your claims.

i think is not an indication of having no proof. science is science because things are never proved, they are disproved. i cant claim 100% that sugar is a poison, just like you cant claim it is. please go on sciencedirect, a peer reviewed journal site and research refined sugar - you will find plenty of evidence.

• brianpperkins
    Options
    “If you already have a lot of sugar in your system, then what you just digested will form either fat or glycogen, the storage form of glucose that’s used for quick energy. It doesn’t matter if it’s junk food or fruit.” ... your earlier link.

It is noteworthy that none of the links or evidence you provided come from the places you said I should look. While you're there, try to assess the difference in rat and human studies ... actual tests and metadata reviews ... and what is truly applicable to the human body. Look for words such as "might" and "may" in the abstract since those are not indicators of proof.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    "Once the sugar passes through the stomach and reaches the small intestine, it doesn’t matter if it came from an apple or a soft drink." ... again, your link.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Tinfoil hats are clearly still in fashion.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

processed sugar has no nutritional value whatsoever

It is a carbohydrate, which is a nutrient. It has calories, which is a characteristic of a nutrient.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options
    “If you already have a lot of sugar in your system, then what you just digested will form either fat or glycogen, the storage form of glucose that’s used for quick energy. It doesn’t matter if it’s junk food or fruit.” ... your earlier link.

It is noteworthy that none of the links or evidence you provided come from the places you said I should look. While you're there, try to assess the difference in rat and human studies ... actual tests and metadata reviews ... and what is truly applicable to the human body. Look for words such as "might" and "may" in the abstract since those are not indicators of proof.

that is not my link. nothing is 'proved', evidence or findings can still only suggest an outcome so might or may are standard terminiology in journals, im not sure i get your point there.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

that is not my link. nothing is 'proved', evidence or findings can still only suggest an outcome so might or may are standard terminiology in journals, im not sure i get your point there.

Are you now denying posting that link to support your position?
  • slowandsteady44
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Tinfoil hats are clearly still in fashion.

thanks for that unecessary comment.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

processed sugar has no nutritional value whatsoever

It is a carbohydrate, which is a nutrient. It has calories, which is a characteristic of a nutrient.

It's a MACROnutrient at its core.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options

please read back through the conversation and you will see i havnt posted a link.

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

The blog actually blames obesity, not the sugars directly. Again, science matters. Even the WHO's logic for limiting refined sugars isn't because they are inherently bad it is because of the caloric impact.

I actually posted this link because of the metabolism info on sugar, however I missed where it blamed being fat on anything........and yes the word is fat, pretty it up all you want with the "obese" word it's still plain fat
  • brianpperkins
    Options

please read back through the conversation and you will see i havnt posted a link.

You did post a link in the initial post ... just not that one. My bad. Those agreeing with you post things as flawed as your video link so I don't even bother trying to keep you differentiated.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options

You did post a link in the initial post ... just not that one. My bad. Those agreeing with you post things as flawed as your video link so I don't even bother trying to keep you differentiated.

i posted a video that i thought may be of interest to people on here because it regards health - people are allowed to have their own opinions and form their own evaluation of the evidence presented. it is your bad and comes across as slightly arrogant.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Good Lord. What ever happened to moderation in all things? Foods aren't evil. It's our behavior and the choices that we make that are the problem with those of us who have struggled with fat (or if you prefer, obesity). Refined sugar and white flour and potatoes are not evil if you limit your intake of them and your diet is otherwise full of good food choices. And someone who chooses to use refined sugar or white flour isn't evil for doing so. There's no such thing as the Food Devil, or Food Hell. Why do so many of you people want to make your struggles with your appetites a moral struggle?