the evil of sugar

Options
13»

Replies

• slowandsteady44
    slowandsteady44 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Good Lord. What ever happened to moderation in all things? Foods aren't evil. It's our behavior and the choices that we make that are the problem with those of us who have struggled with fat (or if you prefer, obesity). Refined sugar and white flour and potatoes are not evil if you limit your intake of them and your diet is otherwise full of good food choices. And someone who chooses to use refined sugar or white flour isn't evil for doing so. There's no such thing as the Food Devil, or Food Hell. Why do so many of you people want to make your struggles with your appetites a moral struggle?

i have not stated in my post to cut it out, i even said i still enjoy refined sugar in moderation - i used the phrase 'cut down'. my title is probably misleading as to what im trying to do here - post a link to a doc i found interesting and thought others might too.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    “If you already have a lot of sugar in your system, then what you just digested will form either fat or glycogen, the storage form of glucose that’s used for quick energy. It doesn’t matter if it’s junk food or fruit.” ... your earlier link.

It is noteworthy that none of the links or evidence you provided come from the places you said I should look. While you're there, try to assess the difference in rat and human studies ... actual tests and metadata reviews ... and what is truly applicable to the human body. Look for words such as "might" and "may" in the abstract since those are not indicators of proof.

that is not my link. nothing is 'proved', evidence or findings can still only suggest an outcome so might or may are standard terminiology in journals, im not sure i get your point there.

Are you now denying posting that link to support your position?

please read back through the conversation and you will see i havnt posted a link.

You did post a link in the initial post ... just not that one. My bad. Those agreeing with you post things as flawed as your video link so I don't even bother trying to keep you differentiated.

i posted a video that i thought may be of interest to people on here because it regards health - people are allowed to have their own opinions and form their own evaluation of the evidence presented. it is your bad and comes across as slightly arrogant.

Your claim of not posting a link in this thread comes across as dishonest and wrong. Of course, I can't blame you for wanting to distance yourself from that flawed video.

Let's look at the logic you've presented here ... you "enjoy refined sugar", something you call a poison ... a logic failure.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Good Lord. What ever happened to moderation in all things? Foods aren't evil. It's our behavior and the choices that we make that are the problem with those of us who have struggled with fat (or if you prefer, obesity). Refined sugar and white flour and potatoes are not evil if you limit your intake of them and your diet is otherwise full of good food choices. And someone who chooses to use refined sugar or white flour isn't evil for doing so. There's no such thing as the Food Devil, or Food Hell. Why do so many of you people want to make your struggles with your appetites a moral struggle?

i have not stated in my post to cut it out, i even said i still enjoy refined sugar in moderation - i used the phrase 'cut down'. my title is probably misleading as to what im trying to do here - post a link to a doc i found interesting and thought others might too.
    You need to edit your title then
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Tinfoil hats are clearly still in fashion.

thanks for that unecessary comment.

Actually I find it really sad that people actively choose to live in irrational fear and go searching for and promoting dumb "documentaries" to reinforce those fears.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options
    “If you already have a lot of sugar in your system, then what you just digested will form either fat or glycogen, the storage form of glucose that’s used for quick energy. It doesn’t matter if it’s junk food or fruit.” ... your earlier link.

It is noteworthy that none of the links or evidence you provided come from the places you said I should look. While you're there, try to assess the difference in rat and human studies ... actual tests and metadata reviews ... and what is truly applicable to the human body. Look for words such as "might" and "may" in the abstract since those are not indicators of proof.

that is not my link. nothing is 'proved', evidence or findings can still only suggest an outcome so might or may are standard terminiology in journals, im not sure i get your point there.

please read back through the conversation and you will see i havnt posted a link.

You did post a link in the initial post ... just not that one. My bad. Those agreeing with you post things as flawed as your video link so I don't even bother trying to keep you differentiated.

i posted a video that i thought may be of interest to people on here because it regards health - people are allowed to have their own opinions and form their own evaluation of the evidence presented. it is your bad and comes across as slightly arrogant.

Your claim of not posting a link in this thread comes across as dishonest and wrong. Of course, I can't blame you for wanting to distance yourself from that flawed video.

i said i didnt post the link you claimed me to have posted. i didnt claim not to have posted the video, it is the reason i made a post. again, not sure what your point is.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options
    Tinfoil hats are clearly still in fashion.

thanks for that unecessary comment.

Actually I find it really sad that people actively choose to live in irrational fear and go searching and promoting dumb "documentaries" to reinforce those fears.

im not promoting anything, promoting implies that people cant use their own intellect in deciding whether the doc is dumb or not. i thought it might be of interest, if you dont think so thats fine.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

i said i didnt post the link you claimed me to have posted. i didnt claim not to have posted the video, it is the reason i made a post. again, not sure what your point is.

" you will see i havnt posted a link." ... your exact words. Not claiming you didn't post that link .. that you didn't post a link .. which you did.

I love watching people contradict themselves over and over and your self contradicting posts are the only enjoyment in this thread.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

i might just do that, because im getting alot of flack for what i thought some people might find interesting.
  • queenliz99
    edited February 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

i might just do that, because im getting alot of flack for what i thought some people might find interesting.

The threads like these are a daily thing, so incoming flak will be laid. Sugar is not poison nor evil.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options

" you will see i havnt posted a link." ... your exact words. Not claiming you didn't post that link .. that you didn't post a link .. which you did.

I love watching people contradict themselves over and over and your self contradicting posts are the only enjoyment in this thread.

please put that into context of the link that you were referring to in the first place, the mercola link, and what you obviously know i was referring to. childish.

• queenliz99
    Options
    I provided the mercola link and your welcome
  • brianpperkins
    Options

please put that into context of the link that you were referring to in the first place, the mercola link, and what you obviously know i was referring to. childish.

I didn't link to anything from or about Mercola. In fact, I can honestly state that I have not posted a link in this thread.
  • slowandsteady44
    Options

I didn't link to anything from or about Mercola. In fact, I can honestly state that I have not posted a link in this thread.

i didnt say you did, but you referred to it.

• brianpperkins
    Options

How could I refer to a link that was provided after my post invoking his name?
  • slowandsteady44
    Options

ok then, really enjoyed this futile/pointless argument.

• queenliz99
    Options
    I provided the link with the tin foil hat I'm wearing. Sorry, my bad.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

ok then, really enjoyed this futile/pointless argument.

You still haven't explained the logical disconnect of thinking refined sugar is poison while still claiming to enjoy it.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Good God! Will you stop the quarrelling! I said; you said; I didn't; yes you did. This is right; no it's wrong; it's my opinion; your opinion doesn't count; you used the wrong word. Are you kindergarten kids or grown-ups! This is supposed to be a discussion, not a fault finding mission.

Someone says something they find interesting or possible helpful to someone else. Someone doesn't like it and feels they need to rebutt it. OK ... say your side of it and leave it at that!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

My response was to the content of this whole thread, including multiple posts calling sugar evil, not just your original post.